'She's been curried': Jenna Wolfe Upset With Demotion To News Reader On 'Weekend Today,' Erica Hill Is New Co-Host
Former 'Today' co-host Jenna Wolfe is devastated after being 'kicked to the curb' from her Sunday gig, as equally dismayed fans of the show bombarded NBC with angry comments.
Ms Wolfe, who is now the program's weekend news reader, is telling friends she is 'extremely upset' by what she sees as a 'huge step backwards' in her career.
Hot on the heels of Ann Curry being ditched from the weekday morning show, Ms Wolfe was replaced by Erica Hill on the Sunday offshoot, who assumed the couch next to Lester Holt for the first time over the weekend.
'Curried': Jenna Wolfe, pictured as co-host with Lester Holt in September, has been replaced by Erica Hill
'After NBC confirmed last week that Erica had been hired as the new co-host, Jenna was told she was being moved to being the news anchor,' a show insider told RadarOnline.
'This is a huge step backwards for Jenna, and she is obviously extremely upset about it. Jenna doesn't understand why she was essentially kicked to the curb.
'(She) doesn't harbor any bad feelings towards Erica, but she is upset with how the network has treated her.'
Hundreds of fans took to the 'Today' show's Facebook page over the weekend, lambasting the station's decision to bump Ms Wolfe.
New anchor: Hot on the heels of Ann Curry being ditched from the weekday morning show, Ms Wolfe was replaced by Erica Hill, left, who assumed the anchor desk next to Lester Holt, right, for the first time yesterday
Hit: Ms Hill, right, a former CBS This Morning anchor, was 'an immediate hit' with the Today show's producers
Many claimed it mirrored Ms Curry's unpopular departure in the summer, with one user coining the term 'curried' as a verb for being demoted by the channel.
Linda Jurevic wrote: 'When Ann got 'curried' I switched to CBS morning- a delightful change. Perhaps I will have to try GMA for a Sunday edition now. It's not that we can't accept change, it's just that we don't like to watch uncomfortable and awkward endings. Perhaps manners are outdated now....'
Done it again: Many claimed the switch mirrored the unpopular departure of Ann Curry, pictured, in June
Another viewer commented: 'First Ann Curry, now Jenna Wolfe getting the short end of the stick.'
The program's Twitter page was also targeted by unimpressed punters.
Last week, the bumped anchor expressed her disappointment at the shuffle, tweeting that she was staying with the show because there was 'more to be done here,' but adding 'Mom once said change is good, but I think she meant my diaper.'
And many thought she looked unhappy in her new role over the weekend.
'I felt so bad for Jenna, looking very uncomfortable,' one viewer commented. 'It's like seeing Ann Curry all over again.'
Toeing the station line on Sunday, after being quizzed about the audience backlash, Ms Wolfe said she was still 'very much a 'Today' show anchor' and added that 'our 'Today' family got stronger this weekend with the addition of Erica to our team.'
Meanwhile, Ms Hill, a former CBS This Morning anchor, was 'an immediate hit' with the show's producers, RadarOnline reported.
'Erica is being embraced by everyone, and the crew respects her tremendously,' the website's source said.
'Erica is a true professional and one thing that makes her an amazing journalist is that she works with her producers and welcomes feedback. She just brings out the best in people naturally.'
- Camel visits Columbus for Hump Day!
- Woman charged with shoplifting $2,000 in merchandise
- Street sweeping parking tickets won't be issued Friday, Saturday
- Typhoon slams Philippines; high death toll feared
- Talks over Iran's disputed nuke program hit a snag
- Kate's secret godmother of style: She brought the royal couple together at 17 and her stunning looks almost stole the show at George's christening. But these pictures reveal Emilia D'Erlanger's most vital role...
- Poll worker paid after miscommunication
- Children who look unhappy in school photos are FIVE times more likely to divorce
- George Zimmerman WON'T be charged for domestic dispute with estranged wife because police couldn't recover video of fight from her iPad that he broke
- The adjustable airline seats that widen according to your size (and how much you're willing to pay)
- Brett Favre suffers memory lapses from concussions
- Sleeping man picture goes viral
- SCMPD, FBI partner together to fight gang violence
- Hurricane? Cyclone? Typhoon? Here's the difference
- Military exercise conducted in Coastal Georgia and North Florida
- Female suicide bomber kills five on bus in Russia ahead of Sochi Olympics
- The many benefits of ginger
- School bus driver and Christian preacher fired for leading students in prayer in violation of Supreme Court ruling
- Faysal Himon, NYC cab driver, avoids charges in accident that left tourist without a foot, report says
- Uighur women defy China's government by continuing to wear tiny Taipak hats
- Freed Ryan Ferguson vows to get justice for victim's family after decade in jail
- Obstruction call gives Cardinals 5-4 win in Game 3
- WTOC Senior Active: Bob and Sandy Paredi
- Sylvia Mitchell Update: "Sorry" NYC psychic gets 5 to15 years in prison for conning clients
- Teen charged in shooting near Pittsburgh high school tied to drug-related fight
- Mother Shannon Dodson 'drowned son then set body on fire'
- Levi's Call issued for missing Atlanta 2-year-old girl
- 400-meter asteroid sighted may 'blow up the earth' in 2032
- Would you eat this monster chicken nugget?
- JFK assassination historic items on display to mark 50th anniversary of President's death
- Govt in agreement to allow American merger
- Van runs stop sign, causes five-vehicle crash
- Rihanna asked to leave Mosque over 'inappropriate' pictures
- Zoo Atlanta names twin giant panda cubs
- IN PICTURES: The Drug Smuggling 'SUPER TUNNEL'
- Your Week in History: Elections and insurrections
- Thunderbolt shooting victims worked at downtown restaurant
- Names of victims released in deadly Jasper County wreck
- Mike Tyson opens up about bankruptcy, how much sex he got in jail and how he told his ex-wife he had AIDS
- City workers continuing to fail random alcohol tests
- Woman was born with no vagina; can't have sex or babies
- China to ease one-child policy
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- She's smoking! Mount Etna puffs out dozens of rings measuring hundreds of feet across as she spews molten lava
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- 'Candy Crush' craze too much for some
- Paul McCartney writes to Putin asking to free Greenpeace protesters
- Thousands flee violent eruptions from Sumatran volcano Mount Sinaburg
- Fort Benning wild fires secured, may cause excess smoke
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|