SNL pays tribute to the lives lost in Sandy Hook shooting with children's choir singing poignant version of Silent Night
‘Saturday Night Live’ left its usual snark behind for this week’s cold open, instead beginning the weekly live show with a children’s choir.
Dressed in bright red robes, the New York City Children's Chorus sang several verses of the Christmas carol ‘Silent Night,’ all in unison, paying homage to the 20 children and six adults that were slain Friday morning in the quiet town of Newtown, Connecticut.
The uncharacteristic open is reminiscent to how the long-running show has handled other unspeakable tragedies, such as the September 11 terrorist attacks.
Terrible tragedy: The shockingly somber open for the sketch comedy show was meant to be in honor for the 27 victims of Friday's shooting in Connecticut
Merry Christmas: 'SNL' alum Martin Short hosted, singing a naughty version of 'It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year'
An NBC spokesperson had told the Hollywood Reporter on Friday that the live show would go on as planned, though they wouldn’t say ahead of time whether or not the show would touch on the Newtown tragedy.
The show was hosted by ‘SNL’ alum Martin Short, who opened the show with a rousing rendition of ‘It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.’
As he ran through the halls of 30 Rockefeller Plaza, he ran into many familiar faces, including fellow ‘SNL’ alums Kirsten Wiig, Jimmy Fallon, and Tina Fey, as well as Samuel L. Jackson and Tom Hanks.
Short was his normal vivacious self, investing whole-heartedly into the first skit where he played a British palace employee telling the Duchess of Cambridge’s new physician how to address her and her more intimate parts.
During Weekend Update with Seth Meyers, the head writer did not allude to the shootings either.
He instead chose to discuss North Korea’s rocket launch (‘No word on how Kim Jong Un celebrated the launch but I’d expect – cake’) and the Pope’s first tweets (‘The Pope gave up pretty quickly, because auto-correct is hell on Latin’).
He also had a mildly enlightening conversation with the Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation with at a Party. The Girl, played by Cecily Strong, asked Meyers what he wanted for Christmas.
'I don't know, maybe an iPad?' he shrugged.
Rousing conversation: Seth Meyers had a mildly enlightening conversation with the Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation with at a Party
All together now: Sir Paul McCartney joined Short for a skit about holiday auditions
'Well, I want an end to genocide!' the Girl responded.
The 2001-2002 season of the sketch-comedy show opened 18 days after the September 11 attack with Reese Witherspoon hosting.
Many wondered how to approach the 27th season – and the answer seemed to be as normally as possible.
In that particular cold open, executive producer Lorne Michael asked then-New York City mayor Rudi Giuliani: ‘Can we be funny?’
The mayor deadpanned: ‘Why start now?’
Brave new world: Reese Witherspoon hosted the first episode of 'SNL' after the September 11 terrorist attacks
Permission: When executive producer Lorne Michaels asked Rudy Giuliani if it was okay to be funny, the mayor deadpanned: 'Why start now?' here, the end of the post-9/11 show
WHO runs the world? Beyoncé. But she wants other women to join in on the fun, too. Queen Bey flew her feminist flag high today ... Full story
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Crash victims survive after car is crushed flat by lorry's shipping container load
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Mystery of creepy dolls left outside California homes that resemble the little girls who live there
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Would YOU eat dog meat?
- Man goes to hospital for circumcision, wakes up with no penis
- Georgia father Justin Ross Harris researched child death in hot car on Internet
- Chinese billionaire Liu Yiqian drinks world's most expensive cup of tea
- Daughter holds 'wedding' ceremony so her terminally ill father can walk her down the aisle
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Attack of the killer bees: Swarm of Africanized honey bees sting man 1,000 times and chase his co-workers when they tried to come to his rescue
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Couple killed in Virginia campsite tornado as their son fights for his life
- Naked man walks into school's locker room, scares cheerleaders
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- Teacher 'had sex with student in house near middle school for over a year'
- Tyler Perry Home Break-In Suspect Kamisha Boozer Faces Judge
- US weighs refugee status for Central American kids
- A Columbus Chic-fil-a raises money for a toddler diagnosed with leukemia
- Customize your name on a Coca-Cola can at Callaway Gardens!
- Central High School facing problems through the roof
- Be prepared... for the Girl Scouts Barbie! Controversial doll hits stores amid accusations of being a 'terrible role model' for young girls
- Oxbow Meadows program manager receives national honor
- Mayor presents awards at 2014 Disabilities Awareness Day
- Metro Columbus unemployment rate rises to 8.5 percent
- John McCain, who was tortured for five years while held captive at the 'Hanoi Hilton,' says two-hour execution of Arizona killer was 'torture'
- Is YOUR child in denial about their size? How 76% of overweight kids think they are normal, and their parents think so too
- Opelika hosts 11th annual Great Grown-Up Spelling Bee
- 2 teens charged with stealing Hondas
- Homeowner makes astonishing TV boast about shooting 'pregnant' home invader dead as she pleaded for mercy - as police say her ACCOMPLICE could be charged with her murder
- Stars come to Augusta for 'Get On Up' premiere
- Georgia convict Marcus Tillman arrested in Calif. after 4 years
- Chrissy Teigen to Joan Rivers: I Never Wear Underwear
- Florida woman Danielle Barron prostitutes herself in her home as infant slept nearby 'because she is addicted to money'
- Customs officers at JFK seize two women carrying six kilos of cocaine inside home-made diapers
- Police arrest eight suspects in multi-county burglary ring
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Math teacher Jamila Williams gets 8 to 15 years in prison for having sex with four teenage boys in her class
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- Aerial photos show the true scale of the devastation of Washington state's largest ever wildfire which has burned nearly 400 square miles and destroyed 150 homes
- School principal Sadie Silver 'caught smuggling heroin into maximum-security prison'
Entertainment NewsGet the latest entertainment news from Georgia Newsday!. Find breaking entertainment news, including music, movies, trailers, celebrity gossip, reality tv shows and more.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|