Reservations (800) 864-7275
Park (706) 783-5349
FACILITIES AVAILABLE for November 11-14:
RV/Tent Campsites, Horse Campground, Log Cabin Bunkhouse, Group Shelter, Picnic Shelter
(as of November 9, 2010 - updates are posted on Tuesday)
Known as one of the most picturesque state parks in Georgia, Watson Mill Bridge contains the longest covered bridge in the state, spanning 229 feet across the South Fork River. Built in 1885 by Washington (W.W.) King, son of freed slave and famous covered-bridge builder, Horace King, the bridge is supported by a town lattice truss system held firmly together with wooden pins. At one time, Georgia had more than 200 covered bridges; today, less than 20 remain.
The park is an ideal spot for an afternoon picnic or an overnight stay at the campground. Hiking, biking and horseback riding trails allow visitors to enjoy the thick forest along the river or travel into the park’s backcountry. During summer, visitors often play in the cool river shoals just below the bridge.
Park Hours: 7AM-10PM
Office Hours: 8AM-5PM
- 1,118 Acres
- 5-Acre Mill Pond
- Covered Bridge
- 21 Tent, Trailer, RV Campsites ($25-$28)
- 3 Log Cabin Bunkhouses (sleep 8, $65)
- 3 Picnic Shelters ($40)
- Group Shelter (seats 100, $105)
- Pioneer Campground ($33 and up)
- Horse Stalls ($11) with 11 Campsites ($25-$28)
- Hiking - 7 miles of trails
- Bicycling - 5 miles of trails
- Horseback Riding ($8) - 14 miles of trails, camping area, stalls, no horse rental.
NOTICE: Horse trails and Park Office open at 8am. Current negative coggins test must be presented at park office before entering trails.
- Rules of Stable & Equestrian Trail Use
- Rules of Etiquette
- Canoe and Pedal Boat Rental (seasonal)
- Fishing - catfish, bass and bream
- Trail Details
- Height Restrictions on the park "9 FEET on covered bridge"
- Traditional campers please use Comer entrance on HWY 22
- Equestrian campers please use Carlton entrance on HWY 72
- Arrowhead Pointe Golf Course at Richard B. Russell State Park
- Athens, Georgia
- Bobby Brown State Outdoor Recreation Area
- Georgia's Classic South
- Highland Walk Golf Course at Victoria Bryant State Park
- Richard B. Russell State Park
- Robert Toombs House State Historic Site
- Victoria Bryant State Park
- University of Georgia
Watson Mill Bridge State Park
650 Watson Mill Road
Comer , GA 30629
N 34.025000 | W 083.074983
Located 3 miles south of Comer off Ga. Hwy. 22. Covered bridge has 9-foot maximum clearance. Equestrian campers need to use the park entrance off Hwy. 72 in Cartlon, while traditional campers may use the park entrance off Hwy. 22 in Comer.