Fattest State in America Revealed by the CDC
It’s common knowledge that Americans are getting fatter, but the statistics paint a bleak picture of just how large we are, as well as how disparate different regions of the U.S. are in terms of the size of their people.
This week the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention released its latest map showing adult obesity rates in individual states. According to the CDC’s annual Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) report, Mississippi is America’s most obese state for the sixth year in a row. The report shows that over one-third of Mississippians, 34.9%, are obese. Louisiana comes closest to Mississippi with 33.4% of its citizens classified as obese, and West Virginia rounds out the top three with a 32.4% obesity rate.
On the other side of the spectrum, Colorado is the least obese (though not exactly trim) state with only one-fifth, 20.7%, of its population being obese. Hawaii (21.8%) and Massachusetts (22.7%) round out the top three least-obese states.
The Southern states topping the most obese list and the western states topping the least obese list are no anomalies. The South had the highest precentage of adult obesity with 29.5%, while Western states had fewer obese people, with a 24.3% rate. The Midwestern states do rival the south’s size, though, with a 29% obesity rate. In fact, around a dozen Southern and Midwestern states are heavily tipping these rates higher with extremely high obesity rates. According to the CDC, Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, and West Virginia all have obesity rates above 30%. The Northeastern states are closer to Western states, with a 25.3% obesity rate.
A full list of states and the prevalence of obesity for the people who live in them can be found on the CDC website.
When considering what these statistics say about the size of Americans, remember that these averages only include Americans who are obese. It does not include the number of Americans who are simply overweight. The CDC considers an adult who has a body mass index (BMI) of over 30 to be obese. Adults with a BMI between 25 and 29.9 are considered overweight.
WHO runs the world? Beyoncé. But she wants other women to join in on the fun, too. Queen Bey flew her feminist flag high today ... Full story
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Manchester United 7-0 LA Galaxy: Wayne Rooney, Reece James and Ashley Young doubles ensure perfect start for Louis van Gaal
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- Jenny McCarthy is 'terrified' after screwing over Oprah
- How not to react in a debate: TV discussion about Gaza and Syria turns violent
- More than $50 million stolen from unguarded van belonging to Libya's Central Bank
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- killer Joseph Rudolph Wood WILL be executed after Arizona court halted lethal injection
- Pro-Russian looters pulled Tesco binoculars from British MH17 victim's suitcase - but threw them back because they were broken
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- A giant haggis, cabers, golf clubs, 41 Scottish terriers, Rod Stewart, Billy Connolly, the Queen, lashings of self-deprecation and even a gay kiss - Glasgow's Commonwealth Games begin in style
- Thanksgiving Storm: Freezing weather spreads as storm heads toward U.S. East Coast
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Moment hero cop and driver took down assault rifle-toting gunman after he went on a terrifying twenty minute rampage
- FaceTime not working on your iPad or iphone? Here’s the fix
- Justin Bieber makes it rain cash at strip club
- Amazon seeks permission from United States Federal Aviation Administration for drone tests
- Dutch call for Putin's daughter to be deported after it is discovered she lives in Holland with her boyfriend: Ukrainians also plan protest outside her apartment
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- At last, some dignity for the victims of MH17: 40 hearses and thousands of mourners line highways to pay respects
- Igor Girkin says 'MH17 bodies aren't fresh' as he claims corpses had been 'dead for days'
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- Police: Officer opens fire on sword-wielding man Julian Faulkner
- Captain America drops action-heavy first trailer
- Mars heiress worth $20.5billion charged with reckless driving over fatal head-on crash with minivan which killed grandmother, 86
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- Serena Williams wants to play tennis until she's 40
- Verizon boosts FiOS uploads to match downloads
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Moment a video vigilante filmed a WalMart shoplifter making off with a grocery cart full of stolen items before fleeing with the loot in an SUV
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Man 'has sex with dog on camera'
- Rory McIlroy unveils new lover Sasha Gale during date to celebrate Open victory
- Former Atlanta officer Joshua Sieck indicted after fatal crash
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Two flee scene after chase, crash in Walthourville
Health NewsGet the latest health news from Georgia Newsday!. Find breaking health news, teen health, women's health, emotional health, Causes, Symptoms, Treatments and more.
- Health News
- Weight Loss
- Exercise & Fitness
- Physical health
- Emotional Health
- Sexual Health
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|