Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
She is known to her family and friends as 'Sleeping Beauty' - but her life is no fairytale.
Louisa Ball, 15, sleeps for two weeks at a time because she suffers from an incredibly rare disorder.
She misses school exams, dance lessons and even missed an entire week’s holiday away with the family as she slept the whole way through.
Louisa, who lives in Worthing, has been diagnosed with Kleine-Levin Syndrome - also known as Sleeping Beauty Disease - where sufferers can fall into deep sleeps that can last for weeks.
She first developed the disorder in October 2008 after recovering from a bout of flu.
Her mother Lottie, 45, said: ‘She had a dose of flu that lasted for about a week but she never really recovered properly from it.
‘We afterwards found out that it was the start of a sleep mode, which comes before the deep sleeps.
‘She was exhausted and didn’t seem to be getting any better. She started to fall asleep at school and was rambling about things that didn’t make sense - just like she was talking in her sleep.
‘It really scared us, we didn’t know what to do. It just didn’t seem like Louisa was the daughter we used to know - she was like a different person.’
Louisa was referred to Worthing General Hospital in November that year and the paediatric consultant there told the couple that he didn’t know what was wrong with Louisa, but it may be hormonal.
By then Louisa was sleeping for ten days at a time. She would sleep deeply for 22 hours, then her parents would wake her just long enough to give her some food and take her to the toilet, then she would fall back to sleep.
Scared: Louisa with father Richard and mother Lottie, who said she seemed like a different person
Her father Richard Ball, 44, a surveyor, said: ‘She couldn’t do anything but sleep. She couldn’t go to school for days at a time when she was asleep.
‘It was very hard to wake her but we knew that we had to give her food and water. We would hurry to get her to eat her food whilst we could, but she would always be rambling and wouldn’t make any sense.
‘It was like she was sleep walking and talking in the times we did manage to wake her up. After she had been asleep for a week or ten days, she wouldn’t remember anything about it.’
Louisa was referred to St George’s Hospital in Tooting in March last year and a Consultant Paediatric there eventually diagnosed her with Kleine-Levin Syndrome.
The syndrome is a rare form or periodic hypersomnia, where sufferers have periods of prolonged sleep.
Doctors don’t know what causes it, although it is thought it may be related to malfunction of the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that governs appetite and sleep.
It is more common in males than females and usually disappears in adulthood, and between sleep periods the sufferer recovers completely.
The couple, who also have a 14 year old son Ross, had never heard of the illness before.
Mr Ball said: ‘We had no idea that there was such a thing, but it was a relief once Louisa was diagnosed.
‘The consultant who diagnosed her had heard of other case before.’
There is no definitive treatment for Kleine-Levin Syndrome, although some patients are given stimulant drugs to try and keep them awake.
Louisa was put on medication but it didn’t work and after her diagnosis she started falling asleep for upto 12 days at a time.
Mr Ball said: ‘We know when Louisa is starting to go into sleep mode as she becomes irritable, so we do have some warning.
‘But last summer we were on our way back from a family holiday in Malaga and started to go into sleep mode as we were driving to the airport.
‘She fell asleep on the plane on the way home and we had to lift her off the aeroplane once all the other passengers had got off.
‘We put her in the car, drove home, and she slept for another seven days.
‘We went on a week’s caravanning holiday last year and she slept for the entire holiday - she missed the whole thing.
‘She was really annoyed when she woke up and found she had missed the holiday, but there was nothing we could do.
‘When she wakes up afterwards she goes straight to the biscuit cupboard and raids it. She is so hungry, its like she has been hibernating.’
When she’s awake Louisa loved school and her regular dancing classes - but she’s had to miss dance competitions and school exams because she has been asleep for them.
Mrs Ball added: ‘She is behind in her classwork and she has missed coursework too.
We don’t know what will happen when she sits her GCSE’S - hopefully the school will allow her to take them during the times that she is awake.
‘She wants to study for a BTEC in sport and dance when she leaves school but she needs five GCSE’s to do that. We can only hope she stays awake long enough to get her qualifications.’
Louisa has just been put onto a new medication that her parents hope will help reduce her sleep patterns.
Mr Ball said: ‘it does look promising. She hasn’t fallen asleep properly for about seven weeks now so we are hoping it will reduce the severity of the attacks and allow her to get on with her life.’
For more information visit the KLS Foundation at www.klsfoundation.org
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Pro-Russian looters pulled Tesco binoculars from British MH17 victim's suitcase - but threw them back because they were broken
- Beyonce recreates iconic Rosie the Riveter feminist poster in new photo shoot
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- John Thomas wins Muscogee County School Board District 2 seat
- Facebook selfie helps police identify fraud suspect as Tanya Peel
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- Rory McIlroy unveils new lover Sasha Gale during date to celebrate Open victory
- Cops: Employee Airieal Wright stole $71,000 from Atlanta court
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- NJ man Anthony Novellino guilty of murdering 'messy' ex-wife found wearing pig mask
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- Mars heiress worth $20.5billion charged with reckless driving over fatal head-on crash with minivan which killed grandmother, 86
- Pregnant woman, 27, arrested 'after posting a selfie on Facebook wearing a stolen dress'
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Scraps from the table put your dog in danger: Animals' digestive system is not equipped to handle same foods as humans
- Wrong-way drunk driver dies in crash that killed two women
- Can't sleep in the heat? Put your sheets in the fridge and whatever you do, DON'T sleep naked!
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- Man 'has sex with dog on camera'
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Son of Romania's 'King of the Gipsies' set to marry fiancée
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Parents who lost three children on MH17 flight tell of agony
- Bad Santas! The police mugshots with an uncanny resemblance to Santa Claus
- Police release pictures of clothes girl, 15, was wearing when she went missing before mysteriously reappearing nine months later
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- Snapchat reveals geofilters that can only be unlocked in the right place
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Justin Bieber makes it rain cash at strip club
- British lawyer killed on MH17 along with his wife and three sons: Final UK victims named as John Allen and Andrew Hoare
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Women: DeKalb officer Jeremy Reynolds asked for sexual favors to avoid jail
- The sad final journey home: Bodies of MH17 victims are loaded on to transport plane at Ukraine airport as they begin trip to the Netherlands for painstaking identification process
- Simon Cowell trolled over donation to Israeli soldiers' organisation
- Ouch! Woman impales herself on 5ft iron fence as she tries to escape from cemetery attacker
- Captain America drops action-heavy first trailer
- Fears Americans died in MH71 crash: State department investigates agency report 23 US citizens were aboard flight shot down over Ukraine
- Man dies at the beach after being BURIED ALIVE by sand tunnel he was digging
- Man sees doctor about cramp, turns out he's a woman with period pain
Health NewsGet the latest health news from Georgia Newsday!. Find breaking health news, teen health, women's health, emotional health, Causes, Symptoms, Treatments and more.
- Health News
- Weight Loss
- Exercise & Fitness
- Physical health
- Emotional Health
- Sexual Health
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|