Five fitness myths busted
We look at some of the most common fitness myths and find the facts
From exercising on an empty stomach to shunning carbs when the sun goes down, we expose the myths that might be hindering your fitness goals.
Myth 1: Cardio burns more fat than lifting weights
Fact: You need to build muscle to burn the fat
Every 1.5kg of muscle you add to your frame boosts your metabolism by 6 to 8 per cent and burns up to 400 extra kilojoules a day. "You end up burning more energy post-exercise because the more muscle mass you have, the more energy it takes to keep you alive," explains exercise scientist and nutritionist Liz Dene. So do we amp up the cardio or reach for the weights? "You have to do a combination of both," Dene notes. "Doing a mix of resistance training and interval training will burn the greatest amount of energy." For a fat-busting workout, try a circuit-training routine that combines sprint intervals with a series of weight-bearing exercises like medicine ball squats, push-ups and boxing with light weights.
Myth 2: Working out on an empty stomach burns more fat
Fact: You won't have enough energy to exercise
A study conducted at the University of Leuven in Belgium found that cyclists who trained on an empty stomach burned a slightly higher amount of fat than those who ate beforehand. However, this study and another published in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise discovered that fasting subjects trained at a reduced intensity and for 30 minutes less than those who ate prior to working out. The bottom line is: you end up burning fewer kilojoules overall if you don't eat because you don't have the stamina to make it through your workout.
"You don't have to sit down to a big breakfast," says Dene. "It can be just something small like a handful of nuts, a spoonful of yoghurt or fruit, something that doesn't upset the stomach."
Myth 3: Eat smaller meals more frequently to lose weight
Fact: It's the number of kilojoules that counts, not the number of meals
The theory behind this myth is that eating mini-meals regularly keeps your metabolism firing, helping you to burn more kilojoules.
But many fitness experts now warn that constant grazing can lead to overeating. A study published in the journal Obesity found that eating frequently didn't improve overweight subjects' appetite control or perceived fullness. The researchers concluded that mini-meals aren't the best strategy to combat obesity but believe that they can benefit athletes who require a regular supply of energy.
"It's all about the total amount of energy you consume throughout the day," says Accredited Practising Dietitian Trent Watson, spokesperson for the Dietitians Association of Australia. "If you have less energy than you require, you'll lose weight. And if you have more energy than you require, you'll gain weight, whether that's in three or six meals a day." The bottom line is: be wary of the total number of kilojoules you eat, regardless of when you eat them.
Myth 4: You can't avoid gaining weight with age
Fact: Lifting weights can help keep the weight off
It's true: your metabolism burns 2 to 5 per cent fewer kilojoules every decade after the age of 40. But that doesn't mean you're powerless against middle-age weight gain. "Anyone can maintain their weight throughout their life," says Watson. "When we age, we tend to reduce the amount of time we're physically active and the intensity at which we exercise."
Our metabolism slows as a result of losing muscle with age; however, regular strength training is the key to boosting muscle mass to avoid the kilo creep. And the sooner you get started the better. Aim for at least three 30-minute sessions of weight training each week.
Myth 5: Avoid carbs after 6pm
Fact: Carbs don't know the time
Those poor carbohydrates have been demonised in the diet world, but the fact is that the time of day you eat them (or anything else) has absolutely no effect on your waistline. The food doesn't "stay in your stomach" and magically convert to fat while you sleep.
"The digestive system doesn't know that it's 6pm," Dene explains.
"People might find this works because it makes them more accountable [of what they're eating]. All of a sudden, they're choosing not to sit down to a big bowl of pasta and they're having healthier alternatives. But at the end of the day, it's about the total number of kilojoules you consume," Dene says.
- Australian Jodie Rose who married Le Pont du Diable BRIDGE celebrates 1st anniversary
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Gloom with a view: Abandoned German hotel that once allowed only the finest people to enter but is now home to bugs and cockroaches
- Meet the big game huntresses who have killed more than 70 species
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- 'I lost nearly 2 stone in 24 HOURS': Sport scientist proves rapid weight loss IS possible (if you're prepared to exercise wearing bin bags, eat no carbs and drink nothing)
- Nine suspected Al Qaeda members on trial in Yemen accused of plotting to kill the country's president and kidnap foreigners
- David Nabhan can 'predict earthquakes' and says next one in US will be on July 12
- Attacks in Iraq around religious ritual kill 22
- Phenix City Board of Education motions to dismiss lawsuit filed against them
- Pictured for the first time: Communist sect 'leader' accused of keeping three women as slaves for more than 30 years
- Man plotting a murder butt dials his intended victim while talking to the hit man about how he should make it 'look like an accident'
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Richmond County's handicap parking enforcement lags behind Columbia County
- Widow of Dallas cop gunned down by JFK killer Lee Harvey Oswald forgives him
- Victims' families call Bulger 'Satan,' 'terrorist'
- Atlanta man's body found In California missing organs
- Rap Genius' Mahbod Moghadam had brain tumor that made him mean
- Paul McCartney writes to Putin asking to free Greenpeace protesters
- Simon Cowell: The secret to success is being rubbish at school
- Deputies: Guyton man had sex on video with underage boy and dog
- Local businessmen gather for Hall of Fame induction
- The great celebrity shoe's who: Yes, those vertiginous YSL heels are Kate Winslet's. But, as stars donate their favourite pairs to charity, can you match the other celebrities to their footwear?
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Oprah Winfrey's father ordered to pay $70K to ex-wife after 'adultery with prostitute'
- 'This whole thing -- it's a mess!' Obama's health care 'fix' angers insurance companies
- Supreme Court green-lights Obamacare birth-control showdown
- Sex-for-drinks scandal called "mamading" rocks Mallorca bars
- Samsung to launch a wraparound screen next year: Rumours abound that new Galaxy model could have a THREE-sided screen
- Kid-killing rapist found guilty of murdering 6-year-old boy who was trying to save his sister from fiend's brutal attack
- Christmas comes early in Columbus with The Landings parade.
- Angelina really is a foxy lady! Scientists discover that silver foxes share the same facial characteristics as beautiful women
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- TVA closing 8 coal units at plants in Ala. and Ky.
- Sierra Club, Georgia Watch host public meeting on Georgia Power rate hike
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Serena Williams tops Victoria Azarenka to win U.S. Open title
- Sorry Charlie's facade inspection to take place Friday
- UGA-Auburn game on CBS Saturday
- UGA teams with USDA to track dog treat illnesses
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|