Tire blowout suspected in crash that killed 12-year-old Devin Pierce in Douglasville
More from News
- Police: Deceased baby had meth in her system, mom Jazmen Hazelrigs arrested
- Sons of Confederate Veterans license plate revealed
- Kelly Gissendaner, last woman on Georgia's death row, executed
- Police investigate homicide of Goodwill employee Pamela Harmon, Suspect Brandon Johnson killed
- Parents forgive son who plotted their death for years
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. -- Police say a tire blowout may have caused an SUV carrying 5 people to overturn, killing a 12-year-old boy.
The single-vehicle accident happened at about 6:12 p.m. Friday on Interstate 85 northbound just south of State Road 82.
Police said the driver of the 2005 Ford Excursion had a blowout, and that the vehicle went into the shoulder and overturned, then came back across the interstate and struck a guardrail.
The vehicle was driven by Daniel Pierce, of Douglasville, said Georgia State Patrol spokesman Capt. Paul Cosper.
Cosper said a total of five people were inside the vehicle when it overturned, including a 5-month-old baby.
Everyone was wearing a seat belt, except the 12-year-old boy who was ejected, Cosper said.
“Devin Pierce was ejected from the vehicle,” said Cosper.
The passengers were all taken to an area hospital. No other vehicles were involved.
No charges have been filed.