Tire blowout suspected in crash that killed 12-year-old Devin Pierce in Douglasville
More from News
- Deputies search for man Rockwell Serrabo accused of killing wife
- Repo man Tracey Ford accused of stealing 60 cars across metro Atlanta
- Georgia mom Julie Giles arrested, shackled over son's unexcused school absences
- Atlanta woman Lauren Lamar on a boating trip in Miami disappears
- Dashcam video shows plane crashing into I-285 in Atlanta
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. -- Police say a tire blowout may have caused an SUV carrying 5 people to overturn, killing a 12-year-old boy.
The single-vehicle accident happened at about 6:12 p.m. Friday on Interstate 85 northbound just south of State Road 82.
Police said the driver of the 2005 Ford Excursion had a blowout, and that the vehicle went into the shoulder and overturned, then came back across the interstate and struck a guardrail.
The vehicle was driven by Daniel Pierce, of Douglasville, said Georgia State Patrol spokesman Capt. Paul Cosper.
Cosper said a total of five people were inside the vehicle when it overturned, including a 5-month-old baby.
Everyone was wearing a seat belt, except the 12-year-old boy who was ejected, Cosper said.
“Devin Pierce was ejected from the vehicle,” said Cosper.
The passengers were all taken to an area hospital. No other vehicles were involved.
No charges have been filed.