Tire blowout suspected in crash that killed 12-year-old Devin Pierce in Douglasville
More from News
- Civil rights leaders clash with Confederate flag supporters at Georgia 'Heritage or Hate' rally in the shadow of huge sculpture glorifying Civil War leaders
- Teen Greg Horan dies in ropes course accident at adventure park
- Atlanta Hawks player Mike Scott arrested on drug charges
- Norcross murder-suicide victims identified as 49-year-old Glenda Nguyen and and 45-year-old Hoang Nguyen
- Marietta Police dress up as construction workers to catch distracted drivers
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. -- Police say a tire blowout may have caused an SUV carrying 5 people to overturn, killing a 12-year-old boy.
The single-vehicle accident happened at about 6:12 p.m. Friday on Interstate 85 northbound just south of State Road 82.
Police said the driver of the 2005 Ford Excursion had a blowout, and that the vehicle went into the shoulder and overturned, then came back across the interstate and struck a guardrail.
The vehicle was driven by Daniel Pierce, of Douglasville, said Georgia State Patrol spokesman Capt. Paul Cosper.
Cosper said a total of five people were inside the vehicle when it overturned, including a 5-month-old baby.
Everyone was wearing a seat belt, except the 12-year-old boy who was ejected, Cosper said.
“Devin Pierce was ejected from the vehicle,” said Cosper.
The passengers were all taken to an area hospital. No other vehicles were involved.
No charges have been filed.