Tire blowout suspected in crash that killed 12-year-old Devin Pierce in Douglasville
More from News
- Storm Rips Through Fayette County Destroying Mobile Home Park
- Rapper Rick Ross arrested after 'kidnapping and pistol-whipping' man working at his $7.5million Georgia mega-mansion
- Surveillance video shows suspect in Applbee's killing
- Stone Mountain mom arrested after leaving toddler in hot car
- Acworth man Anthony Dunton accused of putting weed killer in co-worker's water
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. -- Police say a tire blowout may have caused an SUV carrying 5 people to overturn, killing a 12-year-old boy.
The single-vehicle accident happened at about 6:12 p.m. Friday on Interstate 85 northbound just south of State Road 82.
Police said the driver of the 2005 Ford Excursion had a blowout, and that the vehicle went into the shoulder and overturned, then came back across the interstate and struck a guardrail.
The vehicle was driven by Daniel Pierce, of Douglasville, said Georgia State Patrol spokesman Capt. Paul Cosper.
Cosper said a total of five people were inside the vehicle when it overturned, including a 5-month-old baby.
Everyone was wearing a seat belt, except the 12-year-old boy who was ejected, Cosper said.
“Devin Pierce was ejected from the vehicle,” said Cosper.
The passengers were all taken to an area hospital. No other vehicles were involved.
No charges have been filed.