Tire blowout suspected in crash that killed 12-year-old Devin Pierce in Douglasville
More from News
- Pictured: Teen driver Ramiro Pedemonte who was going 'over 100mph' when he hit and killed teacher on her way to supervise his high school prom
- Atlanta woman who 'opened fire on cops' is shot and killed by officers
- Gunmen open fire at Lil Wayne as he rides tour bus
- Former NBA player Javaris Crittenton takes plea in murder case
- Union City man William Sankey charged in ex-wife Rhonda Williams' murder
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. -- Police say a tire blowout may have caused an SUV carrying 5 people to overturn, killing a 12-year-old boy.
The single-vehicle accident happened at about 6:12 p.m. Friday on Interstate 85 northbound just south of State Road 82.
Police said the driver of the 2005 Ford Excursion had a blowout, and that the vehicle went into the shoulder and overturned, then came back across the interstate and struck a guardrail.
The vehicle was driven by Daniel Pierce, of Douglasville, said Georgia State Patrol spokesman Capt. Paul Cosper.
Cosper said a total of five people were inside the vehicle when it overturned, including a 5-month-old baby.
Everyone was wearing a seat belt, except the 12-year-old boy who was ejected, Cosper said.
“Devin Pierce was ejected from the vehicle,” said Cosper.
The passengers were all taken to an area hospital. No other vehicles were involved.
No charges have been filed.