Plastic Container Symbols for Food Grade Plastics
Please reference Graphics for Quick View of Numbers to look for embedded into plastic products to help determine their safety.
1. PETE: Polyethylene terephthalate ethylene, used forsoft drink, juice, water, detergent, cleaner and peanutbutter containers.
2. HDPE: High density polyethylene, used in opaque plastic milk and water jugs, bleach, detergent and shampoo bottles, and some plastic bags.
3. PVC or V: Polyvinyl chloride, used for cling wrap, plastic squeeze bottles, cooking oil and peanut butter containers, and detergent and window cleaner bottles.
4. LDPE: Low density polyethylene, used in grocery store bags, most plastic wraps, Ziplock bags and some bottles.
5. PP: Polypropylene, used in most Rubbermaid, deli soup, syrup and yogurt containers, straws and other clouded plastic containers, including baby bottles.
6. PS: Polystyrene, used in styrofoam food trays, egg cartons, disposable cups and bowls, carry-out containers and opaque plastic cutlery.
7. Other: This is a catch-all category for plastics that don’t fit into the #1-6 categories. It includes polycarbonate, bio-based plastics, co-polyester, acrylic, polyamide and plastic mixtures like styrene-acrylonitrile resin (SAN). Number 7 plastics are used for a variety of products like baby bottles and “sippy” cups, baby food jars, 5-gallon water bottles, “sport” water bottles, plastic dinnerware and clear plastic cutlery.
Here are some things to keep in mind when using the microwave:
- Most takeout containers, water bottles, and plastic tubs or jars made to hold margarine, yogurt, whipped topping, and foods such as cream cheese, mayonnaise, and mustard are not microwave-safe.
- Microwavable takeout dinner trays are formulated for one-time use only and will say so on the package.
- Don’t microwave plastic storage bags or plastic bags from the grocery store.
- Before microwaving food, be sure to vent the container: Leave the lid ajar, or lift the edge of the cover.
- Don’t allow plastic wrap to touch food during microwaving because it may melt. Wax paper, kitchen parchment paper, or white paper towels are alternatives.
- If you’re concerned about plastic wraps or containers in the microwave, transfer food to glass or ceramic containers labeled for microwave oven use.
Source: Harvard Health Publications
Our homes are full of plastic, and the kitchen is no exception. The problem: Chemicals in plastic containers and other kitchenware may leach into the foods or drinks that they’re holding. Scientific evidence suggests that some of these chemicals may be harmful to people, especially infants and children.
The two best-studied offenders are bisphenol A (BPA) and phthalates. BPA mimics estrogen and has been shown to disrupt hormone and reproductive system function in animals. Research by the National Toxicology Program found a moderate level of concern about its “effects on the brain, behavior and prostate gland in fetuses, infants and children.” Phthalates have been shown to disrupt the endocrine system and have led to malformations in the male reproductive system in animals. Studies in humans have found associations between high phthalate exposure and a variety of health concerns including low sperm quality, high waist circumference and insulin resistance.
Researchers are still debating whether phthalates and BPA actually cause these health problems and, if so, how much exposure is necessary to trigger them. While these issues are being figured out, some experts recommend taking a preventive approach: “Minimize contact of food with problematic plastics as a precautionary measure to protect your health,” suggests Rolf Halden, PhD, adjunct associate professor of environmental health sciences at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Here are six simple tips for reducing your exposure to the potentially harmful chemicals in plastics.
1. Know the code. Look on the bottom of your plastic to find the recycling symbol (a number between 1 and 7 enclosed in a triangle of arrows). The code indicates the type of plastic you are using and can give you important clues about safety. “We generally say 1, 2, 4 and 5 are considered to be the safest,” says Sonya Lunder, senior analyst at the Environmental Working Group. Try to avoid using plastics with 3 or 6, as these leach chemicals that may be harmful. Number 7 is an “other” category that includes BPA-containing plastics called polycarbonates. These plastics, which you should avoid, will have the letters PC printed underneath the 7.
2. Reconsider the microwave. Heat can increase the rate at which chemicals like BPA leach from plastic. Containers labeled “microwave safe” have been tested by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and found to leach extremely small amounts, which the FDA has determined to be safe. However, some experts advise people to keep plastic out of the microwave altogether. “I don’t microwave anything in plastic,” says Lunder. “It’s really easy and fast to put my food into a ceramic or glass container and heat it that way.” And never put plastic wrap on top of your food in the microwave, since it can melt. Use wax paper or a paper towel instead.
3. Use it for its intended purpose. Plastics that are designed for single use should only be used once. “Plastic breaks down over time,” Lunder explains. “Some aren’t designed to withstand heating and cooling.” Most plastics with recycling code number 1 are intended for single use, such as disposable water bottles. And that takeout container from six months ago? Toss it. In general they’re fine for refrigerating leftovers, but aren’t designed for heat exposure or long-term use.
4. Wash by hand. Only put plastics into the dishwasher if they have a dishwasher safe label. If you want to be extra-cautious, wash all plastics by hand or use only glass and ceramic plates and dishes. In the dishwasher, plastics are exposed to detergents and heat, which may accelerate the leaching of BPA from food containers.
5. Do not freeze. Only put plastics in the freezer if they have a freezer-safe label. Freezer temperatures can cause plastics to deteriorate, which increases the leaching of chemicals into the food when you take containers out of the freezer to thaw or reheat.
6. Don’t panic. Cutting down on exposure to potentially harmful chemicals in plastics can benefit your health. But as Dr. Halden reminds us, “Many things in your life pose a much higher risk than exposure to plastics, such as smoking, poor diet and even driving a car.”
Source: Diane Blahut, Woman’s Day
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Neymar takes selfie with girlfriend Gabriella Lenzi after Brazil World Cup win
- The great celebrity shoe's who: Yes, those vertiginous YSL heels are Kate Winslet's. But, as stars donate their favourite pairs to charity, can you match the other celebrities to their footwear?
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Breaking Amish's Kate Stoltz, 23, continues with her racy lingerie modeling career
- Gloom with a view: Abandoned German hotel that once allowed only the finest people to enter but is now home to bugs and cockroaches
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Deputies: Guyton man had sex on video with underage boy and dog
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Miley Cyrus tweets x-rated Halloween pics
- 'He started following me - and so did his WIFE': TV presenter reveals how she was stalked for eight years by crazed couple
- Oprah Winfrey's father ordered to pay $70K to ex-wife after 'adultery with prostitute'
- 13-year-old forced into prostitution, nude dancing at South Beach strip club
- 'My mom called me porky and my dad got me drunk and told me I was more than just his daughter': Explosive claims of 'spoiled' cheerleader, 18, suing parents to support her after she ran away
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Meet the seven women of Bravo's 'Ladies of London' whose drinking, cat fighting, royal name dropping and even labor scenes are coming to TV
- Russian factory workers filmed bathing NAKED in milk used to make cheese
- Just what happened on flight UA201 before it was forced into emergency landing?
- Atlanta Man Torico Jackson indicted in 7-year-old murder case
- Brazilians blowing up over 2014 FIFA World Cup song
- Kylie Jenner and Scott get the finger from rude model
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist Persephanie Lesperance arrested in heroin bust
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Australian Jodie Rose who married Le Pont du Diable BRIDGE celebrates 1st anniversary
- Police: Waffle House employee Quintavius Martin shoots, kills customer
- Porn actress Amanda Logue pleads guilty in sex-party killing
- Renisha McBride was twice legal limit when she was shot dead
- Florida mom shot dead her two children in their beds as they lay sleeping, only to have the children's father discover the grisly scene, newly released autopsy report reveals
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- City workers continuing to fail random alcohol tests
- New reality show Little Women LA hit by legal trouble before premiere
- Fisher-Price under fire to withdraw baby bouncy seat with iPad holder
- Miss Colorado Teen Runner-Up Kristy Althaus 'stripped of title' after it emerges she starred in porn film
- A Ferrari, TWO Bentleys and a $1.4MILLION apartment: Race-row NBA owner Donald Sterling's lavish gifts to girlfriend he argued with on racist recording, as revealed by his wife of 50 years' lawsuit
- Kerry Washington Pregnant, Expecting First Child With Husband Nnamdi Asomugha!
- Woman feels backlash after posting pic of controversial costume
- Incredible images capture the Ethiopian Suri tribe whose girls have lip plates implanted at puberty as a sign of beauty
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|