Police: Gwinnett Woman Belinda Allen steals ID to fund side business
Gwinnett County police said a woman used her position at work to steal the identity of customer with the same name.
Police said she used the information to open new credits card accounts.
But, investigators told Channel 2's Kerry Kavanaugh the victim discovered the fraud on her own as she was checking her annual credit report.
47-year-old Belinda Allen attempted to open credit cards accounts with American Express, Discover and Capitol One using the Social Security number and birth date of another Belinda Allen.
But on the applications she used her own contact information.
"In the application information for the credit cards, her phone number and email address were discovered," said Cpl. Jake Smith with the Gwinnett County Police Department.
Police said that contact information led to the Facebook page for Jazi-B Productions, the suspect's side business.
Police said when they searched her Buford home they found hard evidence.
"They found in particular letters from the credit card companies denying the credit card application," Smith said.
Police said Allen worked at a Duluth accounting office which had access to personal information for customers of several car dealerships, including the Mall of
Police said Belinda Allen, the victim, recently purchased a car here.
Police said when they arrested Allen at work Friday afternoon; she confessed to stealing the information and allegedly said she did so to boost her side business.
"She had a particular event planned and some unforeseen fees had come up she intended to use the victim's information to pay these fees for her second business," Smith said.
Allen is charged with financial identity fraud and financial transaction card fraud.
Investigators said Allen had access to so much information, they will be checking to see if any other fraud may have taken place.
Police said Allen successfully opened a credit card account. They are checking to see if any charges were made on it.
Police said this case really highlights the importance of pulling that annual credit report.
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Wife of Indian minister Shashi Tharoor died 'suddenly and unnaturally'
- Folding Manhattan studio apartment that turns into a four-bedroom unit
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 382
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31