Man shot, killed while pumping gas in Atlanta
More from News
- Police arrest Joannessa Clawson, James Clawson and Patti Ann Baldassarre for setting up fake GoFundMe account for daughter
- Former Peachtree City police chief William McCollom turns himself in
- Gov. Nathan Deal signs medical marijuana bill
- Former commissioner's chief of staff Bob Lundsten indicted for theft
- Victim Janaira Berry dies in hospital after Stone Mountain mugging
A man was shot and killed at a gas station Tuesday morning.
Atlanta police said the man was pumping gas at the BP on Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway at Interstate 285 when he was shot and killed around 6:30 a.m.
Police said the victim is from out of town and was driving a rental car on the way back to the airport. The gunman walked across the street and approached the victim, who then got back in the car and was shot multiple times in the chest.
“Victim was transported to Grady and has subsequently died as a result of those injuries," Atlanta police Lt. Paul Guerrucci told Channel 2’s Amanda Cook.
Homicide detectives are investigating. K-9 units also canvassed the area to search for the shooter.
The shooting happened at a busy intersection, but witnesses were reluctant to talk.
“Sometimes when people witness a violent crime like this, sometimes they are a little apprehensive to come forward," Guerrucci said.
Off-camera, witnesses told Cook the gunman tried to rob the shooter.
Several high-ranking officers were at the crime scene, including Atlanta Police Chief George Turner, but police did not identify the victim.