Applebees restaurant manager calls cops on breast-feeding mother
A Douglasville mother is calling for changes at a major chain restaurant after she was kicked out of one of their locations for breastfeeding.
Dawn Holland said that on Saturday afternoon, she was nursing her 20-month-son, Connor, in a booth in the back of an Applebee's restaurant. Holland said that a manager approached her and said she "was being inappropriate" and asked her to breast-feed in the bathroom.
"I told her that I had a right to breast-feed in public and a bathroom was not an appropriate place to nurse a child. And she told me I could either go to the bathroom or leave," said Holland.
Holland said she asked the manager to look up the law, and the manager called police.
Civil rights attorney Laurie Rashidi said that the law states that "a woman with child has the right to breast-feed any place that she is lawfully allowed to be."
Applebee's Communications issued a statement on Tuesday saying, "We're in the business of welcoming guests to our restaurants and our top priority is always to provide a friendly and comfortable environment for everyone, including nursing mothers who have the right to nurse in public. This was an unfortunate misunderstanding and we hope the guest will give us another chance to demonstrate that to her personally."
Holland, whose husband is a medevac pilot in Afghanistan, said that she has not personally heard from the company. She said that she would like to see Applebee's institute civil rights training for its staff.
Authorities did not write an incident report because they said it was a civil matter.
WHO runs the world? Beyoncé. But she wants other women to join in on the fun, too. Queen Bey flew her feminist flag high today ... Full story
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Manchester United 7-0 LA Galaxy: Wayne Rooney, Reece James and Ashley Young doubles ensure perfect start for Louis van Gaal
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- Thanksgiving Storm: Freezing weather spreads as storm heads toward U.S. East Coast
- Rebel Wilson busted whilst making off with buffet
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- Jenny McCarthy is 'terrified' after screwing over Oprah
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- killer Joseph Rudolph Wood WILL be executed after Arizona court halted lethal injection
- More than $50 million stolen from unguarded van belonging to Libya's Central Bank
- Justin Bieber makes it rain cash at strip club
- Pro-Russian looters pulled Tesco binoculars from British MH17 victim's suitcase - but threw them back because they were broken
- Captain America drops action-heavy first trailer
- How not to react in a debate: TV discussion about Gaza and Syria turns violent
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Mars heiress worth $20.5billion charged with reckless driving over fatal head-on crash with minivan which killed grandmother, 86
- At last, some dignity for the victims of MH17: 40 hearses and thousands of mourners line highways to pay respects
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- FaceTime not working on your iPad or iphone? Here’s the fix
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- A giant haggis, cabers, golf clubs, 41 Scottish terriers, Rod Stewart, Billy Connolly, the Queen, lashings of self-deprecation and even a gay kiss - Glasgow's Commonwealth Games begin in style
- Amazon seeks permission from United States Federal Aviation Administration for drone tests
- Moment hero cop and driver took down assault rifle-toting gunman after he went on a terrifying twenty minute rampage
- Feds say NYC strippers drug rich men
- Igor Girkin says 'MH17 bodies aren't fresh' as he claims corpses had been 'dead for days'
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Brazilians blowing up over 2014 FIFA World Cup song
- Black teen was scared and disoriented when she banged on the front door of white homeowner who shot her dead
- From joy to despair in just 23 hours for Oakland pitcher Pat Neshek
- Arizona inmate Joseph Rudolph Wood dies 2 HOURS after execution began
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Verizon boosts FiOS uploads to match downloads
- Dutch call for Putin's daughter to be deported after it is discovered she lives in Holland with her boyfriend: Ukrainians also plan protest outside her apartment
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- Simon Cowell trolled over donation to Israeli soldiers' organisation
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- 'When does your morality kick in': Al Sharpton demands justice in defiant speech against NYPD at funeral of father who died after officer put him choke hold
- Husband caught teacher wife Amie Neely, 38, having sex with exchange student, 16, after tracking her via GPS phone app
- Pregnant woman, 27, arrested 'after posting a selfie on Facebook wearing a stolen dress'
- Moment a video vigilante filmed a WalMart shoplifter making off with a grocery cart full of stolen items before fleeing with the loot in an SUV
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|