Applebees restaurant manager calls cops on breast-feeding mother
A Douglasville mother is calling for changes at a major chain restaurant after she was kicked out of one of their locations for breastfeeding.
Dawn Holland said that on Saturday afternoon, she was nursing her 20-month-son, Connor, in a booth in the back of an Applebee's restaurant. Holland said that a manager approached her and said she "was being inappropriate" and asked her to breast-feed in the bathroom.
"I told her that I had a right to breast-feed in public and a bathroom was not an appropriate place to nurse a child. And she told me I could either go to the bathroom or leave," said Holland.
Holland said she asked the manager to look up the law, and the manager called police.
Civil rights attorney Laurie Rashidi said that the law states that "a woman with child has the right to breast-feed any place that she is lawfully allowed to be."
Applebee's Communications issued a statement on Tuesday saying, "We're in the business of welcoming guests to our restaurants and our top priority is always to provide a friendly and comfortable environment for everyone, including nursing mothers who have the right to nurse in public. This was an unfortunate misunderstanding and we hope the guest will give us another chance to demonstrate that to her personally."
Holland, whose husband is a medevac pilot in Afghanistan, said that she has not personally heard from the company. She said that she would like to see Applebee's institute civil rights training for its staff.
Authorities did not write an incident report because they said it was a civil matter.
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Folding Manhattan studio apartment that turns into a four-bedroom unit
- Flight Attendant Jaclyn Luby Tries to Bring Loaded Gun Through Airport Security
- Levi's and GAP are losing profits to yogas pants brand Lululemon
- True love or just a Green Card? Season two of 90 Day Fiancé follows six Americans as they prepare to marry the foreign spouses they hardly know
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 382
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31