Guard Larry Stell fatally stabbed at Telfair State Prison
More from News
- Flesh-eating bacteria victim Aimee Copeland has custom van stolen
- Braves players, broadcasters and execs react to fatal Turner Field fall
- Atlanta Braves fan Gregory Murrey dies after falling from upper deck at game
- Police: Athens woman Haley Hill dies after former boyfriend shot her during rampage
- Student Christopher Starks dies after shooting on Savannah State campus
Authorities say they are investigating the fatal stabbing of a correctional officer at Telfair State Prison by an inmate.
Georgia Bureau of Investigation Agent Todd Lowery said the attack Thursday killed 46-year-old Larry Stell. Lowery told The Macon Telegraph ( http://bit.ly/Wg4eBH) that the attack happened in a dormitory where 80 inmates were held.
Stell's body was taken to an Atlanta crime laboratory for an autopsy.
Further details on the killing were not immediately available.
Lowery said the inmate suspected in the killing has been transferred to another prison and will be held there until he's charged in the case.