Valdosta State student Jasmine Benjamin's death treated as homicide
VALDOSTA, Ga. — Police in Valdosta say they're now treating the death of a Valdosta State University student as a homicide.
University officials said campus police responding to a call at the Georgia Hall dormitory on Sunday found 17-year-old Jasmine Benjamin unresponsive. The freshman student was later pronounced dead by the Lowndes County coroner.
Valdosta State officials said in a statement that based on new information from the medical examiner, the case is now "an active criminal investigation."
Valdosta police Cmdr. Brian Childress tells The Valdosta Daily Times that police are treating the case as a homicide.
He said the autopsy raised more questions about the death, but declined to provide details. He said toxicology testing, which involves testing for possible substances in a person's body, has not yet been completed.
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 382
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31