Police: Teen Paul Sampleton Jr shot to death at home in Grayson
More from News
- Former Atlanta cop Maurice Dodd uses police-issued gun to rob bank, shoot himself
- Gwinnett mom Teila Williams arrested after mysterious death of baby, injuries to twin
- DeKalb judge's son Byron Scott charged in assault of mom, daughter
- Covington woman Neece Francis charged with DUI, accused of driving wrong way on I-20
- Rapper William McCray arrested for sex trafficking brags about making illegal money
Gwinnett police say they have some good leads in the murder of a 14-year-old Grayson High School student. According to Gwinnett County Police Cpl. Jake Smith, Paul Sampleton Jr. was found dead of a gunshot wound in his home on Haynescrest Drive on Wednesday.
The boy's father arrived home and found his son shot to death around 2:40 p.m., according to police.
Authorities are treating the death as a homicide. Smith said that there was evidence of a robbery inside the apartment. They don't know if the teen had interrupted the burglary or if they had waited for him inside.
Sampleton was a freshman at Grayson High School, according to police.
"He was just always smiling, kind-hearted and everybody loved him. Nobody had problems with him," said Darius Stephens, who said he played football with Sampleton.
Police spent the night combing the area for clues, even bringing out a K-9 unit to search a nearby vacant lot. Detectives aren't saying much about the investigation.
"Detectives are kind of holding on to that information. They do have some leads to work but we're not ready to share that information just yet," said Smith.
Anyone with information on the shooting is urged to contact Gwinnett County police at 770-513-5000.