Megachurch pastor Wiley Jackson, brother indicted for alleged business scheme
One of Atlanta's most well-known pastors is accused of cheating his flock. A DeKalb County grand jury indicted Gospel Tabernacle Church Bishop Wiley Jackson and his brother Rodney on eight counts of violating the Georgia Securities Act on Thursday.
"These people are essentially charged with selling securities without a license. In Georgia, this is regulated activity," DeKalb County District Attorney Robert James said.
James said that the Jackson brothers recruited investors to their company, Genesis LLC -- a business that the district attorney says doesn't exist.
"The Secretary of State has confirmed that, at least licensed in Georgia as an LLC, there is no Genesis LLC," James said.
According to his website, Jackson's Gospel Tabernacle Church has three metro area locations. The district attorney says the victims who lost thousands of dollars were parishioners at Jackson's church.
"They invested with them and they lost their money," James said.
One of the three victims named in the indictment lost as much as $10,000.
Jackson released a statement stating, "I am surprised to learn of this indictment. I am out of town and cannot respond until I have read the indictment. There has been no wrongdoing."
But James says the case is clear.
"They operated outside of the law," he said.
James says the investments were ministry and church related.
The maximum penalty Bishop Jackson could be facing is 10 years jail time for each of the eight criminal counts.
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Wife of Indian minister Shashi Tharoor died 'suddenly and unnaturally'
- Folding Manhattan studio apartment that turns into a four-bedroom unit
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Oregon woman Joan Zuber has hand and part of arm amputated after it was caught in the hood of her truck
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 382
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31