Family: Boyfriend Carlos Simpson arrested in woman's shooting death
More from News
- Police looking for pregnant, cape-wearing robbery suspect
- Teen sisters Faith English, Kayla English missing from McDonough
- Texas nurse Amber Vinson released from Emory following Ebola treatment
- Investment adviser Aubrey Lee Price sentenced to 30 years in prison
- Atlanta woman Dorothy McGlarthery arrested for stealing federal agent's gun
DeKalb County police have arrested a 22-year-old Decatur man after they say he shot and killed his girlfriend in his family's driveway on Monday night.
The people who live on Eagle's Nest Circle call the shooting an accident, but DeKalb police say it was a case of murder.
Police say Shikhira Dunson, 20, was shot and killed in the driveway during an argument on Monday night. Carlos Simpson lived in the house with his family, and DeKalb police arrested Simpson early on Tuesday morning. The suspect's mother and father loved Shikhira like she was their own daughter.
"Shikhira. She was a sweet girl. She will tell everybody, ‘I love this child.' Even her mother knows. I don't know what the deal was and stuff like that, but it's something that -- it's hard, it's hard right now," said the suspect's mother, Sheila Simpson.
Dunson and Simpson had a 10-month-old son together. Family members say the boy is with his paternal grandmother.