Police: Stockbridge man John Wesley Morgan, Jr shoots, kills elderly father
More from News
- Officer, homeowner shot when police respond to wrong house
- Flesh-eating bacteria victim Aimee Copeland has custom van stolen
- Braves players, broadcasters and execs react to fatal Turner Field fall
- Atlanta Braves fan Gregory Murrey dies after falling from upper deck at game
- Police: Athens woman Haley Hill dies after former boyfriend shot her during rampage
Henry County police say a man shot and killed his 79-year-old father in Stockbridge on Wednesday.
Police say the victim, John Wesley Morgan, got into a fight with one of his sons at the family business, Morgan Auto Parts on Highway 138.
"Upon arrival, officers discovered that there had been a domestic altercation at the scene here between a father and son. At some time during that altercation, his son picked up a gun and fired it at the victim, striking him multiple times," Major Jason Bolton of the Henry County Police Department.
David Gentry has worked for the Morgan family for more than 20 years and was inside the shop when the shots rang out.
"I just heard shots, that's all," Gentry said. "They're good people. I don't know what snapped him or whatever."
Henry County police said that the son was on scene and cooperative with them when they responded. He was interviewed by detectives late Wednesday.
This isn't the first time police have been called to Morgan Auto Parts for a fatal shooting. Back in 2006, the suspect's brother allegedly shot and killed a man trespassing on the property.
Police said that the son, 49-year-old John Wesley Morgan, Jr., will be charged with murder in his father's death. He was booked in Henry County Jail late Wednesday.