Emmanuel Hammond Executed For 1988 Killing Of Teacher Julie Love
More from News
- Special ed teacher Kayla Zittrouer, 22, 'sent lewd pictures to and sexually assaulted her 14-year-old student' after just two months in the job
- Police shoot, kill man in Maserati family IDs as 24-year-old Nicholas Thomas
- Atlanta man Torrance Hambrick given life sentence in Atlanta rape, carjacking
- GA Tech student Clark Jacobs falls out of bed, suffers head injury
- Atlanta Water Department workers Charles Edwards and William Spalding accused of theft
JACKSON, Ga. -- A Georgia man convicted of killing an Atlanta preschool teacher more than two decades ago has been executed by state corrections officials.
Emmanuel Hammond was put to death by injection Tuesday at the state prison in Jackson after state and federal courts turned down his appeals. The 45-year-old was pronounced dead at 11:39 p.m.
Hammond was convicted of the 1988 murder of 27-year-old Julie Love, who was abducted in north Atlanta after her car ran out of gas.
Prosecutors say Love was beaten and raped before Hammond took her into the woods, shot her to death and dumped her body into a trash pile.
Investigators didn't find her body until August 1989, when Hammond's girlfriend told police he was responsible for her disappearance.