Head of Atlanta's '30 Deep' gang George "Keon" Redding convicted
The leader of one of Atlanta’s most violent and prolific street gangs was sentenced to two life sentences plus 40 years for killing two men and wounding two others in a series of shootings in 2007.
George “Keon” Redding was convicted Monday night of two murder charges, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony. He was sentenced after the jury returned with the guilty verdicts.
During the trial that started Jan. 24, one witness used profanity in regards to the judge and the prosecutor. Another witness was beaten by other 30 Deep members while they were in the Fulton County Jail; the attack was recorded by surveillance camera.
And at one point in the trial, Redding tried to hide a “30 Deep” tattoo on his forehead with make-up. He was ordered to remove the makeup.
During opening statements, Assistant District Attorney Gabe Banks said Redding was feared throughout the Mechanicsville neighborhood of Atlanta where there was a “silent code...
“You didn’t argue with [Redding] in front of others,” Banks said. “You didn’t run from the defendant. You most certainly did not talk to the police, or you would be killed.”
Ronnie Pierce, Redding’s victim on June 19, 2007, ran from him.
Pierce was sitting on a wall when he encountered Redding.
Redding insisted Pierce, a man described as a junkie by prosecutors, had his gun. Pierce said he didn’t.
“Ronnie stood up for himself,” Banks said. “He told George Redding he didn’t have the gun.”
Pierce ran, though, when Redding pulled out a handgun.
Pierce ran to the nearby home of a teacher and banged on the door, begging for his life. The frightened teacher didn’t know Pierce and wouldn’t let him inside.
According to testimony, Redding caught up with Pierce on the porch and shot him eight times, including twice in the back and once in the head.
“This defendant hunted him down, pursued him and shot him down,” Banks told jurors. “You may not have liked the way Ronnie Pierce lived, but … you’re going to hate the way he died.”
In another incident, on July 1, 2007, 25-year-old Victor Hill was a random target of an impromptu retaliation shooting.
According to testimony, Redding was upset about a recent dispute with a group from the Boulevard area so he said he would shoot the next person he saw “from Boulevard.”
Redding saw Hill standing in a parking lot and opened fire, killing him. A woman who tried to run from the gunfire was wounded.
Then on July 28, 2007, Redding went after a man who had witnessed the shooting of Hill earlier in the month. The man was playing basketball when he was shot four times and wounded.
Redding also is charged with murdering a third man but he has not been indicted in that case.
Next week, Redding’s cousin, Jonathan, is scheduled to go on trial on charges he murdered a popular bartender at a Grant Park restaurant. John Henderson was killed during a robbery at the Standard Food & Spirits on Memorial Drive on Jan. 7, 2009.
Jonathan Redding, also believed to be a member of the 30 Deep gang, is facing 24 felonies -- including murder, aggravated assault, armed robbery and participation in criminal street gang activity. Many of the charges against could bring a sentence of life in prison.
The 30 Deep gang has been linked to a number of smash-and-grab burglaries in from Buckhead in Atlanta to Gwinnett County. They are suspected of selling drugs, stolen high-end jeans and expensive electronics.
Just last month, Atlanta police arrested nine 30 Deep gang members -- ranging from 14 to 19 years old -- for a pair of smash-and-grab burglaries early Sunday morning, Jan. 17.
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- Outrage as 76-year-old man ARRESTED at town hall meeting for asking board members to speak louder
- How not to react in a debate: TV discussion about Gaza and Syria turns violent
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Fears Americans died in MH71 crash: State department investigates agency report 23 US citizens were aboard flight shot down over Ukraine
- Goldman Sachs MD Nicholas Valtz found dead after kiteboarding outing
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- Wrong-way drunk driver dies in crash that killed two women
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Husband caught teacher wife Amie Neely, 38, having sex with exchange student, 16, after tracking her via GPS phone app
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Police: Pregnant woman Danielle Saxton posted selfies in stolen dress
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Man, 97, is thrown out of retirement home for 'playing ukulele too much'
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- Pregnant woman, 27, arrested 'after posting a selfie on Facebook wearing a stolen dress'
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- Pregnant teen Brooke Slocum strangled and boyfriend decapitated after Craigslist sex meeting with stranger
- Snapchat reveals geofilters that can only be unlocked in the right place
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Clayton Board Member Trinia Garrett Accused of Downloading Porn
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Teacher's aide and mother of two Clarice Lee 'had sex with three students while three others watched and videotaped
- The 12 major travel destinations you can skip
- Chinese man trying to con driver into thinking she'd run him over, is run over
- WWE Russian-themed characters slammed for using MH17 tragedy as part of act
- American tourist, 25, found dead in Rio De Janeiro forest after 'falling into a ravine'
- Retired couple strangled to death over $120 by two men hired to do chores
- Man 'has sex with dog on camera'
- Palestinian civilian 'shot dead by Israeli sniper as he desperately searched for family'
- Firefighter calendar pin-up Taylor Murphy accused in brutal beating of transsexual girlfriend Claudia Charriez
- Is this proof British Open winner Rory McIlroy is dating Nadia Forde?
- Angry Customer Melodi Dushane Loses It at McDonald's Drive-Thru over McNuggets
- Falmouth Family loses 2 sons weeks apart
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Out of this world! Bikini-clad Kim Kardashian channels blond Barbarella for Beach Bunny Swimwear ad
- Steward who changed flights to work MH17 at the last minute had wife who had swapped OFF MH370
- Miley Cyrus flashes the flesh in Lil' Kim-inspired outfit
- Chris Brown enters rehab for anger issues
- DeKalb man William Matthews Simmons accused of inappropriate relationship with 15-year-old boy
- Sleeping man picture goes viral
- Women: DeKalb officer Jeremy Reynolds asked for sexual favors to avoid jail
- Dutch 'Black Pete' Christmas custom may be racist, warns UN
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|