Carrollton Police Investigate Deadly Accident Involving Rhyan Pilgrim
More from News
- Atlanta mom Raven Taylor led police chase with 13-year-old son in the car
- Alpharetta mom Erica Mondor, high on heroin crashes van, kids in backseat
- Woman shot dead at MARTA bus stop in Lithonia robbery identified as Marcaysia Dawkins
- Body of missing Georgia man Andrew Sprinkle found in NC
- Former Atlanta Falcons running back Jamal Anderson arrested for DUI
CARROLLTON, Ga. - A teenager was hit and killed by a truck while he waited to cross a busy Carrollton road Saturday afternoon.
Carrollton police told FOX 5 News Rhyan Pilgrim, 18, was standing in a grassy area with a 16-year-old friend, waiting for the light to change so they could walk across Bankhead Highway at Somerset Place.
As the pair stood at the intersection, police said the teenage driver of a Jeep failed to yield to an oncoming truck, causing a minor collision. But in trying to avoid the Jeep, the driver of the truck swerved off the road hitting Pilgrim and his friend.
Police said Pilgrim was a student at Carrollton High School.
The 16-year-old victim was taken to Atlanta Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.
Police said the driver that caused the accident, 17-year-old Lillian Alvarez, will be charged in the deadly crash. The exact charges will not be determined until investigators can meet with the Carroll County District Attorney's Office Monday.
Investigators said the 18-year-old driver of the truck will likely not be charged.