Carrollton Police Investigate Deadly Accident Involving Rhyan Pilgrim
More from News
- Braves players, broadcasters and execs react to fatal Turner Field fall
- Atlanta Braves fan Gregory Murrey dies after falling from upper deck at game
- Police: Athens woman Haley Hill dies after former boyfriend shot her during rampage
- Student Christopher Starks dies after shooting on Savannah State campus
- Jackson County man Marty Rogers charged after dog tests positive for meth
CARROLLTON, Ga. - A teenager was hit and killed by a truck while he waited to cross a busy Carrollton road Saturday afternoon.
Carrollton police told FOX 5 News Rhyan Pilgrim, 18, was standing in a grassy area with a 16-year-old friend, waiting for the light to change so they could walk across Bankhead Highway at Somerset Place.
As the pair stood at the intersection, police said the teenage driver of a Jeep failed to yield to an oncoming truck, causing a minor collision. But in trying to avoid the Jeep, the driver of the truck swerved off the road hitting Pilgrim and his friend.
Police said Pilgrim was a student at Carrollton High School.
The 16-year-old victim was taken to Atlanta Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.
Police said the driver that caused the accident, 17-year-old Lillian Alvarez, will be charged in the deadly crash. The exact charges will not be determined until investigators can meet with the Carroll County District Attorney's Office Monday.
Investigators said the 18-year-old driver of the truck will likely not be charged.