Carrollton Police Investigate Deadly Accident Involving Rhyan Pilgrim
More from News
- Drunk driver Ryan Patrick Quinton sentenced to 15 years for crash that killed his new bride just hours after their wedding reception
- John's Creek mom Adrienne Burch used extension cord to punish child
- Ambush leaves Fulton Co. police officer Terence Avery Green dead
- Former APS Superintendent Beverly Hall dies
- Lawrenceville Man Richard Drummond dead, wife injured in Gwinnett double shooting
CARROLLTON, Ga. - A teenager was hit and killed by a truck while he waited to cross a busy Carrollton road Saturday afternoon.
Carrollton police told FOX 5 News Rhyan Pilgrim, 18, was standing in a grassy area with a 16-year-old friend, waiting for the light to change so they could walk across Bankhead Highway at Somerset Place.
As the pair stood at the intersection, police said the teenage driver of a Jeep failed to yield to an oncoming truck, causing a minor collision. But in trying to avoid the Jeep, the driver of the truck swerved off the road hitting Pilgrim and his friend.
Police said Pilgrim was a student at Carrollton High School.
The 16-year-old victim was taken to Atlanta Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.
Police said the driver that caused the accident, 17-year-old Lillian Alvarez, will be charged in the deadly crash. The exact charges will not be determined until investigators can meet with the Carroll County District Attorney's Office Monday.
Investigators said the 18-year-old driver of the truck will likely not be charged.