Carrollton Police Investigate Deadly Accident Involving Rhyan Pilgrim
More from News
- Missing Georgia Tech student Kinsey Canova at Grady Hospital
- Police: Naked man Juan Carlos Ramirez arrested for church fire
- Police: Eddie Ball and Ivy Shumake identified as Suspects in DeKalb County officer shooting
- Decatur mom Rockell Coleman charged after 2 sons killed in house fire
- Serial killer Aeman Presley charged with murdering popular hairdresser and two homeless men as they slept
CARROLLTON, Ga. - A teenager was hit and killed by a truck while he waited to cross a busy Carrollton road Saturday afternoon.
Carrollton police told FOX 5 News Rhyan Pilgrim, 18, was standing in a grassy area with a 16-year-old friend, waiting for the light to change so they could walk across Bankhead Highway at Somerset Place.
As the pair stood at the intersection, police said the teenage driver of a Jeep failed to yield to an oncoming truck, causing a minor collision. But in trying to avoid the Jeep, the driver of the truck swerved off the road hitting Pilgrim and his friend.
Police said Pilgrim was a student at Carrollton High School.
The 16-year-old victim was taken to Atlanta Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.
Police said the driver that caused the accident, 17-year-old Lillian Alvarez, will be charged in the deadly crash. The exact charges will not be determined until investigators can meet with the Carroll County District Attorney's Office Monday.
Investigators said the 18-year-old driver of the truck will likely not be charged.