Mother's Facebook Find Leads To Teen Sex Charge
More from News
- North Forsyth middle school teacher Alisen Nicole Mooney quits after getting busted for drugs
- Mother: Remains found in Floyd County belong to missing daughter Ashley Jones
- GBI: Euharlee police chief Terry Harget, assistant chief Richard Smith arrested
- Special ed teacher Kayla Zittrouer, 22, 'sent lewd pictures to and sexually assaulted her 14-year-old student' after just two months in the job
- Police shoot, kill man in Maserati family IDs as 24-year-old Nicholas Thomas
CLAYTON COUNTY, Ga. -- A Clayton County mother hopes the arrest of a teenager will serve as a valuable lesson to other children.
Rodney Duncan, 17, is accused of having sex with Joie Lee’s 12-year-old daughter.
“I really feel sorry for him,” Lee told Channel 2’s GA Daily News. “He will have to go register as a sex offender."
Duncan was arraigned on statutory rape charges in Clayton County court on Tuesday.
Lee told Jones she went on Facebook and found posts where her daughter got into an argument with Duncan’s girlfriend.
Lee said those posts revealed her daughter and Duncan had been intimate so she decided to dig a bit more.
“It gave me a picture of the young man. I knew who he was. It led me to the girlfriend. She had information,” said Lee.
Lee told Jones she tracked down Duncan and tried to discuss the situation with the teenager and his mother, but Duncan’s mother refused to talk, so Lee pursued an arrest warrant for Duncan.
Lee told Jones she’s certain Duncan’s mother condoned the sexual relationship. “I believe she did. I believe she did, that's why she was extremely defensive with me. She never wanted to talk with me because she knew what was going on,” Lee said.
Jones tried to track down Duncan’s mother after the hearing. “Can we get a word with you about what happened? Did you condone your son having sex with this 12-year-old,” Jones asked as she raced toward the courthouse parking lot.
Lee said she hopes the arrest sends a strong message to teens having sex with minors.
“Parents, if someone is coming to you to let you know that your overage son has been engaging with sexual activities with your underage daughter, listen,” Lee said.