Douglasville Officials Settle Lisa Valentine Headscarf Case
More from News
- Missing Georgia Tech student Kinsey Canova at Grady Hospital
- Police: Naked man Juan Carlos Ramirez arrested for church fire
- Police: Eddie Ball and Ivy Shumake identified as Suspects in DeKalb County officer shooting
- Decatur mom Rockell Coleman charged after 2 sons killed in house fire
- Serial killer Aeman Presley charged with murdering popular hairdresser and two homeless men as they slept
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. - Douglasville city officials agreed today to pay $27,500 in damages to a Muslim woman who was thrown in jail for refusing to remove her headscarf.
Lisa Valentine was trying to enter the Douglasville Municipal Courthouse in 2008, when an officer told her she would not be permitted to do so wearing her headscarf.
A dispute followed and Valentine was arrested.
In Wednesday’s settlement, Douglasville city officials acknowledged that Valentine did not physically fight with the officer, which she was initially accused of doing.