Douglasville Officials Settle Lisa Valentine Headscarf Case
More from News
- John's Creek mom Adrienne Burch used extension cord to punish child
- Ambush leaves Fulton Co. police officer Terence Avery Green dead
- Former APS Superintendent Beverly Hall dies
- The horrific moment Atlanta woman Myriah Pointer is brutally beaten unconscious 'by her so-called best friends over a HAMBURGER'
- Police: Gwinnett woman Luciana Vonberman uses purse to steal 6 lobsters
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. - Douglasville city officials agreed today to pay $27,500 in damages to a Muslim woman who was thrown in jail for refusing to remove her headscarf.
Lisa Valentine was trying to enter the Douglasville Municipal Courthouse in 2008, when an officer told her she would not be permitted to do so wearing her headscarf.
A dispute followed and Valentine was arrested.
In Wednesday’s settlement, Douglasville city officials acknowledged that Valentine did not physically fight with the officer, which she was initially accused of doing.