Douglasville Officials Settle Lisa Valentine Headscarf Case
More from News
- Police officers stage fake arrest to help mother with misbehaving son
- Police: Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill shoots woman inside model home
- Police say Lilburn man Rupert Clarke shot, killed his wife over money
- Pictured: Teen driver Ramiro Pedemonte who was going 'over 100mph' when he hit and killed teacher on her way to supervise his high school prom
- Atlanta woman who 'opened fire on cops' is shot and killed by officers
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. - Douglasville city officials agreed today to pay $27,500 in damages to a Muslim woman who was thrown in jail for refusing to remove her headscarf.
Lisa Valentine was trying to enter the Douglasville Municipal Courthouse in 2008, when an officer told her she would not be permitted to do so wearing her headscarf.
A dispute followed and Valentine was arrested.
In Wednesday’s settlement, Douglasville city officials acknowledged that Valentine did not physically fight with the officer, which she was initially accused of doing.