Douglasville Officials Settle Lisa Valentine Headscarf Case
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. - Douglasville city officials agreed today to pay $27,500 in damages to a Muslim woman who was thrown in jail for refusing to remove her headscarf.
Lisa Valentine was trying to enter the Douglasville Municipal Courthouse in 2008, when an officer told her she would not be permitted to do so wearing her headscarf.
A dispute followed and Valentine was arrested.
In Wednesday’s settlement, Douglasville city officials acknowledged that Valentine did not physically fight with the officer, which she was initially accused of doing.
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Folding Manhattan studio apartment that turns into a four-bedroom unit
- Levi's and GAP are losing profits to yogas pants brand Lululemon
- Oregon woman has hand and part of arm amputated after it was caught in the hood of her truck
- Flight Attendant Jaclyn Luby Tries to Bring Loaded Gun Through Airport Security
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 382
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31