Douglasville Officials Settle Lisa Valentine Headscarf Case
More from News
- Augusta woman Tabathia Lee Grooms attacks mom, boyfriend for refusing sex
- MARTA Police seek leads in sex assault near the Indian Creek transit station
- FBI agent Nena R. Harris victim of murder-suicide in Chamblee
- Police: Fulton Co. judge Karen Woodson carjacked at gunpoint
- Pregnant Carrollton woman Nakita Holland shot and killed in her apartment
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. - Douglasville city officials agreed today to pay $27,500 in damages to a Muslim woman who was thrown in jail for refusing to remove her headscarf.
Lisa Valentine was trying to enter the Douglasville Municipal Courthouse in 2008, when an officer told her she would not be permitted to do so wearing her headscarf.
A dispute followed and Valentine was arrested.
In Wednesday’s settlement, Douglasville city officials acknowledged that Valentine did not physically fight with the officer, which she was initially accused of doing.