Douglasville Officials Settle Lisa Valentine Headscarf Case
More from News
- Teen Greg Horan dies in ropes course accident at adventure park
- Atlanta Hawks player Mike Scott arrested on drug charges
- Norcross murder-suicide victims identified as 49-year-old Glenda Nguyen and and 45-year-old Hoang Nguyen
- Marietta Police dress up as construction workers to catch distracted drivers
- Elderly woman Mildred Martin shot, killed while playing cards on porch
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. - Douglasville city officials agreed today to pay $27,500 in damages to a Muslim woman who was thrown in jail for refusing to remove her headscarf.
Lisa Valentine was trying to enter the Douglasville Municipal Courthouse in 2008, when an officer told her she would not be permitted to do so wearing her headscarf.
A dispute followed and Valentine was arrested.
In Wednesday’s settlement, Douglasville city officials acknowledged that Valentine did not physically fight with the officer, which she was initially accused of doing.