Teacher Almarcus Thomas accused of statutory rape, videotaping student
A DeKalb County middle school teacher is accused of having sex with a student and secretly videotaping another.
Almarcus Dwayne Thomas, 42, appeared in magistrate court Thursday afternoon to face charges that include statutory rape and molestation. Thomas, a teacher at Tucker Middle School, will remain behind bars without bond.
DeKalb County School System spokesman Walter Woods said school police received a tip from a parent in December claiming Thomas was having inappropriate sexual contact with his 15-year-old daughter.
Woods said the district immediately removed Thomas from the classroom and placed him on paid administrative leave while detectives investigated the claims. DeKalb police joined in the investigation.
Almarcus Dwayne Thomas
According to the charges, Thomas is accused of having sexual contact with the 15-year old student at school and also at her home. He’s also accused of taking secret inappropriate videos of another student while at school. Detectives also searched Thomas’ Lithonia home and said they found inappropriate sexual images on his laptop computer.
“These are just allegations at this point,” said Woods. “But we have to act on the side of the children and make sure that we’re taking precautions to make sure these children are safe.”
Woods did not know immediately what subject Thomas taught or for how long he’s been a teacher at Tucker Middle School.
DeKalb teacher arrested, makes court appearance
One of Thomas’s neighbors said he has a wife and two children. They also called him a “stand-up guy” whom they could always count on when needed.
Woods said Tucker Middle School parents were notified after the arrest.
“We just received the letter yesterday,” said Manna Samuel, the parent of a sixth-grader. “I was just shocked. I mean, that’s the safest place you send your kids, and it’s just shocking. But I love Tucker Middle School, and I’m going to just pray.”
Thomas will remain in the DeKalb County Jail without bond until he can appear before a superior court judge.
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Folding Manhattan studio apartment that turns into a four-bedroom unit
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Wife of Indian minister Shashi Tharoor died 'suddenly and unnaturally'
- Oregon woman Joan Zuber has hand and part of arm amputated after it was caught in the hood of her truck
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 382
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31