Augusta man convicted of aggravated child molestation
More from Augusta
- Barber Kwame Demond Bryant charged with firing at customer
- Toombs County officials catch suspect Steve Lawrence Allen in fatal Augusta shooting
- Martinez man Charles Holtzclaw charged in $200,000 embezzlement
- Command sergeant major relinquishes command at Fort Gordon ceremony
- Augusta eye doctor agrees to pay additional civil payment
An Augusta man was convicted Friday of aggravated child molestation for raping an 11-year-old girl he wished to impregnate.
At the conclusion of a four-day trial in Richmond County Superior Court, Judge Michael N. Annis sentenced Michael “Bubba” Lawson to life in prison. Because of Lawson’s two prior felony convictions for aggravated assault in 2000 and cocaine possession in 2011, the life sentence was mandatory.
Lawson, 31, was linked to the assault by DNA evidence. The child needed medical treatment for injuries after the Jan. 11, 2011, assault.