Facebook Twitter RSS Syndication Crazy Sports Moments Girl Selfie Fail Bad Kiss Things Jerks Do Perfectly Timed Photos
 
Home | News | Augusta | 25 hotel rooms evacuated after black mold discovered

25 hotel rooms evacuated after black mold discovered

By
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) -

Twenty five hotel rooms at the Parkway Inn were evacuated Tuesday morning after code enforcement discovered black mold at the hotel.

"That was a nightmare when I heard the big knock on my door at 9 o'clock this morning," remembered Ronia Johasan who lived in a room where mold was found underneath the wallpaper.

He says after code enforcement made the discovery he was forced to pack up and leave.

Fox54's Mark Barber asked, "What did you think when you heard that the room where you'd been staying for a week had black mold in it?" Johasan said, "What I thought was the residents here could be sick."

A woman who lived on the second story didn't want to be identified. She says her children became sick when they moved in and now she's thinks it may have been the mold.

"While we were here, my children got over a bit of a bug that caused them to have a fever. My youngest had a fever of 100 and it went from child to child," she said.

Parikshik Sareen, the owner of the Parkway Inn, says he's doesn't think anyone's health was affected.

"Do you have any health concerns for them? You don't think anyone's health was hurt?" asked Barber as Sareen shook his head no.

Some residents believe he's responsible to keep the building up to code and free of health hazards.

"As a business owner he should've known better," said the resident who asked to remain anonymous.

But Sareen said he didn't know any better, "I don't know because usually the health inspector comes every time but I was not informed that I had anything with mold."

The Parkway Inn maids quit shortly after the mold discovery because there weren't enough rooms left for them left to clean.

Sareen says with no one to clean, he had to shut down the entire hotel.  

He's offering residents a refund. Even though she can get her money back, the mother who asked to remain unnamed says she wishes she could take back all the time spent behind the Parkway Inn doors.

"It made me feel like I put my kids in danger, which in all reality I didn't. But I did what I had to do at the time. It wasn't my fault that the conditions were unfit, how was I to know?" she asked.

Code Enforcement officials say they will release a full report of the issues at the Parkway Inn Thursday.

According to the Centers for Disease control, exposure to mold can cause a stuffy nose and irritated eyes and skin; severe reactions include fever and shortness of breath.

If you believe you're exhibiting any symptoms of mold exposure, the CDC recommends that you see a doctor.

 
Read More: No tags for this article

 

 

 

 

Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted)

total: | displaying:

Post your comment

If you would like to post a comment please Sign in or Register

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Quote
 
 

Georgia News

Get the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
 
  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Rate this article

0
 
 

Photo Galleries

PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity Awkward family photos 
 
UPDATED: Faces of Meth PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter

More galleries ››