Columbia County installing new traffic light system for ambulances
"We presented the information to Gold Cross," explained Columbia County engineer Matt Schlachter. "They really liked the idea. They went out and bought their own equipment to get on our system. We're expanding it every day."
Expansion that Schlachter said is good news for getting patients to and from area hospitals in the event of an emergency.
"Basically GPS tracks where the vehicles are, it tracks when their lights and sirens are one, which direction they're headed, it knows how fast they're going," said Schlachter.
He showed me a map in the county's traffic control center of where they are busily installing the new system at intersections along the Washington Road corridor.
"As we grow the system, we expand it," said Schlachter. "Our goal is to get to the county line with Richmond County. Most of the hospitals we're going to are in Richmond County, that we're headed to. Hopefully we can get our ambulances there faster."
But it's not only ambulances getting the greenlight; Schalacter said Columbia County's fire department has been part of the system for more than a year now.
"Had great success with it, the firefighters love it," said Schlachter. "We decided to start with the fire department because their trucks are so much larger. Harder to stop them, harder to start them."
Schalacter said the system helps other drivers on the road, too.
"It's safer for the folks traveling around them," said Schlachter. "It allows them to make better decisions. It's a great system."
Georgia NewsGet the latest Georgia news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Georgia Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Folding Manhattan studio apartment that turns into a four-bedroom unit
- Wife of Indian minister Shashi Tharoor died 'suddenly and unnaturally'
- Oregon woman Joan Zuber has hand and part of arm amputated after it was caught in the hood of her truck
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 382
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31