Sisters found dead two days after they vanished were slain by disgruntled friend
Prosecutors have filed first-degree murder charges against a man who they say is responsible for the deaths of two Missouri sisters who went missing last week while caring for their small children.
The suspect, Clifford D. Miller, 31, of Trimble, Missouri, had gotten high on methamphetamine on Friday morning and decided he wanted to have sex with Britny Haarup, 19, whom he had liked, according to police.
But when he arrived at Haarup’s house, he woke up her sister, 22-year-old sister Ashley Key, who was sleeping on the couch. Officials said at that point, Key confronted Miller and he decided he had to get rid of her.
‘He began to punch her and beat her until she quit moving and then he smothered her with a pillow,’ Platte County Sheriff Richard Anderson said in a televised news conference on Monday.
‘After Miller killed Ashley [Key], his intention of sexually assaulting [Haarup] then changed to an intent to kill her. He picked up an object and walked into the bedroom.’
There, Anderson said, he found Haarup sleeping with one of the sisters’ small children. After Miller hit her in the head with a stick, he and Haarup struggled for a bit before he also smothered her to death with a pillow, the Kansas City Star reported.
He then tried to sexually assault her, but couldn't, authorities said.
Miller next took the baby to the room where the other child was sleeping, smoked more meth and tried to clean up the crime scene, officials said.
He placed the women's bodies in their white Dodge Ram pick-up truck and then hid them on a farm, according to police. He also attempted to get a friend to sell four guns he found at the house for getaway money. He then went home and took a shower.
Miller was arrested Sunday morning at his girlfriend’s apartment in Parkville after police was tipped off about his whereabouts. He had allegedly confessed to the killings and told police where to find the victims' bodies.
The women's emotional father spoke at the Monday news conference.
‘My daughters were very wonderful people,’ Paul Haarup said. ‘Their short lives are not going to be forgotten. Because of this situation, we are sentenced to life in our duty that the daughters left behind are aware of how special their mothers were.’
Platte County Prosecutor Eric Zahnd said he would evaluate whether to seek the death penalty under Missouri's murder statutes. Otherwise, Miller will face life in prison without parole, if convicted.
Two sisters' corpses were found in a field in Clinton County two days after they had gone missing, leaving their shoes and cell phones behind.
When Ms Haarup's fiancé came home and found the pair missing, he also discovered a bloody comforter and that some of his guns had been taken as well as a white pick-up truck.
Ms Haarup's father, Paul, said Ms Key, the mother of a four-year-old, had been 'running with the wrong crowd' and he feared someone from her past might have abducted them, he told the Kansas City Star.
Matt Meyers, who was engaged to marry Ms Haarup, said he found her two children, age six months and 18 months, alone in their crib. She has never been known the leave her children by themselves before.
Police discovered that Ms Haarup and Ms Key, who was staying at the home in tiny Edgerton in northwest Missouri, had left their shoes and their purses. Ms Haarup also left her cell phone at the house.
On Saturday police discovered the truck, unoccupied, several miles from Edgerton. That same day, detectives searched two unidentified locations. They have also begun questioning a person of interest in the case.
Police believe the sisters left the house about 9.30am on Friday. Ms Haarup's children were alone until 4pm when Mr Meyers returned home from work.
'She is a very good mother, she would never leave her kids at home, especially for that amount of time,' Mr Meyers' sister, Cassandra, told Fox 4 in Kansas City.
Miller is being held in the Platte County jail on $500,00 cash-only bond.
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- A model fan! Belgian teen lands L'Oreal contract after being photographed at World Cup game
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Georgia Governor Nathan Deal finally takes responsibility for winter weather chaos
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- California high school asked to abandon 'offensive' Arab mascot
- Mike Tyson opens up about bankruptcy, how much sex he got in jail and how he told his ex-wife he had AIDS
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- Sleeping man picture goes viral
- First marathon runner crosses finish line
- Russian cosmonauts take Olympic torch on first historic spacewalk outside space station
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- The 12 major travel destinations you can skip
- Virus holds computer files ransom
- It's Bob Baaa-ley! Marley the sheep sports amazing dreadlocks (and her trainer can't keep him off the grass)
- Be There: Motivating high school students to continue their education
- King Edward VIII dropped F-bomb at having to miss rendezvous with lover
- The Facebook photo of a high school basketball coach Laraine Cook being groped by her fiance that got her fired
- Kate's secret godmother of style: She brought the royal couple together at 17 and her stunning looks almost stole the show at George's christening. But these pictures reveal Emilia D'Erlanger's most vital role...
- Free swastika tattoos aim to 'reclaim' Nazi symbol's original Buddhist meaning of peace and love
- Negotiators report little progress in budget talks
- Why are today's young women so unashamed about being fat?
- Married leader of controversial Quiverfull movement which promotes family values resigns after having an affair
- Mother Shannon Dodson 'drowned son then set body on fire'
- Robert Felix Gonzales charged with prostituting teen runaway on Craigslist in exchange for meth and cash
- Typhoon slams Philippines; high death toll feared
- Feds post food allergy guidelines for schools
- 400-meter asteroid sighted may 'blow up the earth' in 2032
- Is organic food really better?
- Second extortion attempt on Hong Kong set of 'Transformers 4: Age of Extinction'
- AU safety experts urge community to watch out for date rape drugs
- Georgia company expands recall of pet treats
- Typhoon Haiyan wreaks havoc as death toll rises in Philippines
- The adjustable airline seats that widen according to your size (and how much you're willing to pay)
- Squirrel invasion sweeping Georgia
- The scents of success? Meet the twin sisters who help control where you spend your money - all through the power of smell
- Georgia Southern takes aim at new shooting sports center
- Deputies: Guyton man had sex on video with underage boy and dog
- 9th annual Wounded Warrior & Wheelchair Hunt
- Slain LAX TSA officer remembered as a family man
- Camel visits Columbus for Hump Day!
- 'Candy Crush' craze too much for some
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|