Prosecutors: Babysitter Sarah Gumm charged with murder slammed baby down on table
A babysitter from suburban Illinois has been charged with killing a three-month-old baby girl who was in her care by slamming her head down on a wooden table after the child became fussy, according to police.
Prosecutors said Sarah Gumm, of Waukegan, was trying to change Rylan Koopmeiners' diaper and became frustrated when the little girl started squirming around.
‘She put the baby down on the table such that she struck her head on the table,’ Lake County Assistant State’s Attorney Ari Fisz said Thursday, according to the Chicago Tribune.
Fisz said that an autopsy revealed a severe fracture to the baby’s skull and cranial hemorrhaging, which caused her death on July 27.
‘It was the medical examiner’s opinion that an extreme amount of force had to have been used to cause that fracture,’ he said.
Rylan’s parents, Nathan and Reggan Koopmeiners, of Kenosha, Wisconsin, dropped their daughter off at Gumm’s home in the 1100 block of O'Farrell Lane in Waukegan at about 6:45am on July 27, Fisz said.
At about 4:30pm, the 33-year-old babysitter called police and reported that the little girl was not breathing. She was rushed to Vista East Medical Center in Waukegan, where she was pronounced dead shortly after 5 pm, according to Fisz.
Gumm had initially told police that the three-month-old had been sleeping when she heard a ‘gurgling noise’ and noticed that the baby seemed to be in distress, prompting the caregiver to call 911.
Grave accusation: Sarah Gumm, 33, has been charged with first-degree murder after allegedly admitting to causing little Rylan's injuries out of frustration
While Gumm told investigators that she was home all day, one of her neighbors spotted the 33-year-old woman leaving alone in a taxi that afternoon.
Fisz also said that authorities discovered that Gumm used her credit card twice at a local drugstore that day before calling police.
During a second interview with police on August 2, Gumm allegedly admitted to going to the pharmacy and leaving the baby unsupervised at home, according to Fisz. The prosecutor said Gumm also then admitted to causing the baby’s injuries.
‘She also told police that later in the afternoon the baby was getting very fussy and squirming around while she was trying to change her on a wooden table,’ Fisz said. ‘She was holding the child up above the table. She got frustrated.’
Crime scene: Gumm was looking after the three-month-old girl at her home in the 1100 block of O'Farrell Lane in Waukegan on July 27
The baby’s parents hired Gumm six weeks prior to the tragic incident after seeing an advertisement for her services online.
Gumm, who is reportedly married, was not caring for any other children at the time of Rylan’s death, according to police.
During a hearing on Thursday, Gumm asked for more time to hire an attorney. Judge Raymond Collins gave her until August 16.
She was charged with first-degree murder and remains in the Lake County Jail in lieu of $3million bond.
Reverend Don Hackbarth, of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, where the Koopmeinerses are members, said the baby’s parents ‘are very, very distraught, very sad.’
Kenosha News reported that little Rylan is survived by three siblings: Jordan, Tyler and TresaJo.
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- A model fan! Belgian teen lands L'Oreal contract after being photographed at World Cup game
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Sleeping man picture goes viral
- First marathon runner crosses finish line
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- Russian cosmonauts take Olympic torch on first historic spacewalk outside space station
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- Mike Tyson opens up about bankruptcy, how much sex he got in jail and how he told his ex-wife he had AIDS
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- The 12 major travel destinations you can skip
- Feds post food allergy guidelines for schools
- The adjustable airline seats that widen according to your size (and how much you're willing to pay)
- Second extortion attempt on Hong Kong set of 'Transformers 4: Age of Extinction'
- Slain LAX TSA officer remembered as a family man
- Camel visits Columbus for Hump Day!
- Free swastika tattoos aim to 'reclaim' Nazi symbol's original Buddhist meaning of peace and love
- Mother Shannon Dodson 'drowned son then set body on fire'
- Georgia Southern takes aim at new shooting sports center
- King Edward VIII dropped F-bomb at having to miss rendezvous with lover
- It's Bob Baaa-ley! Marley the sheep sports amazing dreadlocks (and her trainer can't keep him off the grass)
- Sorry Charlie's facade inspection to take place Friday
- Be There: Motivating high school students to continue their education
- GA police use tiny serial numbers to track goods
- Virus holds computer files ransom
- Is organic food really better?
- Medical crew killed in helicopter crash on way to pick up sick child
- Typhoon Haiyan wreaks havoc as death toll rises in Philippines
- 400-meter asteroid sighted may 'blow up the earth' in 2032
- Squirrel invasion sweeping Georgia
- Robert Felix Gonzales charged with prostituting teen runaway on Craigslist in exchange for meth and cash
- Typhoon slams Philippines; high death toll feared
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- The Facebook photo of a high school basketball coach Laraine Cook being groped by her fiance that got her fired
- Georgia company expands recall of pet treats
- Negotiators report little progress in budget talks
- Residents near Ga. base warned of weapons training
- 9th annual Wounded Warrior & Wheelchair Hunt
- Dutch 'Black Pete' Christmas custom may be racist, warns UN
- AU safety experts urge community to watch out for date rape drugs
- The scents of success? Meet the twin sisters who help control where you spend your money - all through the power of smell
- Kate's secret godmother of style: She brought the royal couple together at 17 and her stunning looks almost stole the show at George's christening. But these pictures reveal Emilia D'Erlanger's most vital role...
- From glam to grubby: Haunting pictures offer stark look inside New York City strip clubs with the lights on
- Married leader of controversial Quiverfull movement which promotes family values resigns after having an affair
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|