Florida teen Cassidy Goodison, 14, charged with first degree murder after she strangles newborn baby
A pregnant fourteen-year-old girl secretly delivered her baby with a pair of scissors in the family bathroom before throttling the boy to death and hiding the body in a shoe box.
Cassidy Goodison, 14, has been charged as an adult with first degree murder after police learned how she killed her child following months of fearfully disguising her pregnancy from her mother and father.
Her harrowing case has shocked even experienced officers and graphically illustrates the problems of the 750,000 teenage Americans who fall pregnant every year.
Goodison went into labor in her home in Greenbrier Village, Florida on September 19 and instead of calling for help, disguised her screams of pain by running the tap and gripping a towel between her teeth as she sat on the toilet.
After prising the 9.5lb boy form her body with a pair of scissors, she felt for a pulse and then strangled the boy to death and hid his corpse in a shoe box with dirty laundry.
Three days later, as Teresa Goodson cleaned her daughter's room, a foul odour drew her attention to a pile of soiled, wet clothes in which she found the deceased infant hidden in a box.
An autopsy performed determined the victim was a full term infant and that he was alive and breathing prior to death. He died as a result of asphyxia from strangulation and blunt force trauma.
Miss Goodson had gone to great lengths to hide the transformation of her 5ft 3in 100lb body during pregnancy, according to Polk County officials.
Throughout the summer, as she walked around in baggy sweat pant and loose-fitting T-shirts.
Members of her family grew suspicious of her appearance and attempted to discuss the possibility she was pregnant with the teen's mother.
But Mrs Goodson denied the suggestions, said the report, claiming that she had made her daughter do two home tests, albeit in the privacy of her bathroom, which both came out negative.
Scene of the crime: Cassidy Goodson lives on this street in Greenbrier Village, Florida
Husband Timothy Goodson agreed meanwhile that he had noticed Miss Goodson's weight gain and that she had been walking around at home wrapped in a blanket.
An interview with the teenager on September 22 revealed that after the 14-year-old had delivered the 9.5lb, 20.4in boy into the toilet, she had felt for a pulse and then strangled him to death.
Confirming he was dead by once again checking his pulse, she then cleaned herself and the baby and tucked the evidence out of sight.
Shortly after, however, Mrs Goodson noticed blood in the toilet she knew had been recently used by her daughter so took her to Lakeland Regional Medical Center.
There medical staff treating the high school student told Mrs Goodson that she had suffered a miscarriage and showed four to five lacerations on her vaginal wall.
Medical drama: After the teen's mother saw blood in the toilet shortly after, they went to Lakeland Regional Medical Center where staff believed she had suffered a miscarriage
Though these injuries were in reality self-inflicted when the teenager had pried the baby out of her with a pair of scissors, she falsely confessed to her mother that she had indeed had a miscarriage at home and flushed the fetus down the toilet by mistake.
Polk County Sheriff's Office deputies, along with members of the Department of Children and Families responded to a call from the hospital reporting the case and details were retained by the PCSO Bureau of Criminal Investigations for follow up investigations.
According to the Sheriff's Office affidavit, on the evening of September 22, at approximately 7.30pm, Mrs Goodson removed a bag of smelly, wet clothing from a storage stool in her daughter's bedroom.
While sorting through the clothing she found the body of the baby concealed in the shoe box.
In a panic, Mrs Goodson called her sisters who in turn alerted the police.
Miss Goodson told detectives she was motivated to hide her pregnancy and choke the baby 'to stop him from breathing,' by the fear that her relationship with her parents would change if they found out the truth.
Miss Goodson was arrested on Thursday and transported first to the Juvenile Assessment Center and then to the Polk County Juvenile Detention Facility.
She is charged with Premeditated First Degree Murder, a capital felony and Aggravated Child Abuse, a first degree felony.
Polk County Public Information officer, Donna Wood, told MailOnline: This is the most perplexing, confusing, disheartening case I've ever seen in my 18 years on this job. Everyone has been touched by it.'
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- A model fan! Belgian teen lands L'Oreal contract after being photographed at World Cup game
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Sleeping man picture goes viral
- First marathon runner crosses finish line
- Russian cosmonauts take Olympic torch on first historic spacewalk outside space station
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- Camel visits Columbus for Hump Day!
- Mother Shannon Dodson 'drowned son then set body on fire'
- Feds post food allergy guidelines for schools
- Mike Tyson opens up about bankruptcy, how much sex he got in jail and how he told his ex-wife he had AIDS
- 400-meter asteroid sighted may 'blow up the earth' in 2032
- Second extortion attempt on Hong Kong set of 'Transformers 4: Age of Extinction'
- Typhoon Haiyan wreaks havoc as death toll rises in Philippines
- Typhoon slams Philippines; high death toll feared
- Free swastika tattoos aim to 'reclaim' Nazi symbol's original Buddhist meaning of peace and love
- The adjustable airline seats that widen according to your size (and how much you're willing to pay)
- Slain LAX TSA officer remembered as a family man
- The Facebook photo of a high school basketball coach Laraine Cook being groped by her fiance that got her fired
- From glam to grubby: Haunting pictures offer stark look inside New York City strip clubs with the lights on
- Georgia Southern takes aim at new shooting sports center
- Squirrel invasion sweeping Georgia
- Street sweeping parking tickets won't be issued Friday, Saturday
- The 12 major travel destinations you can skip
- Dutch 'Black Pete' Christmas custom may be racist, warns UN
- Woman charged with shoplifting $2,000 in merchandise
- Medical crew killed in helicopter crash on way to pick up sick child
- Thunderbolt shooting victims worked at downtown restaurant
- Sorry Charlie's facade inspection to take place Friday
- Kate's secret godmother of style: She brought the royal couple together at 17 and her stunning looks almost stole the show at George's christening. But these pictures reveal Emilia D'Erlanger's most vital role...
- Poll worker paid after miscommunication
- Negotiators report little progress in budget talks
- Zoo Atlanta names twin giant panda cubs
- Mayor's office denies flag being displayed improperly
- George Zimmerman WON'T be charged for domestic dispute with estranged wife because police couldn't recover video of fight from her iPad that he broke
- GA police use tiny serial numbers to track goods
- Uighur women defy China's government by continuing to wear tiny Taipak hats
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- Military exercise conducted in Coastal Georgia and North Florida
- Is organic food really better?
- Names of victims released in deadly Jasper County wreck
- SCMPD, FBI partner together to fight gang violence
- The scents of success? Meet the twin sisters who help control where you spend your money - all through the power of smell
- Hero Nebraska veteran plunged into Chinese river to save drowning woman
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|