Mormon doctor Martin MacNeill 'murdered wife and moved lover into family home as his nanny'
A woman who had a year-long affair with a doctor before he allegedly killed his wife has testified that he moved her into his family home just weeks after the murder to be the new nanny.
Gypsy Jyll Willis detailed the clandestine relationship as she took the stand in the fifth day of a preliminary hearing of Martin MacNeill, 56, in Provo, Utah on Wednesday.
As she left the stand, she locked eyes with MacNeill, staring adoringly at him as she walked past.
MacNeill, a former Mormon Sunday school teacher and father of seven is accused of murdering his wife Michele, who was found drowned in the bathtub at their Pleasant Grove, Utah home in 2007.
He is accused of forcing her to have a face lift before giving her a cocktail of lethal drugs, which he claimed would help her recovery. She was found dead eight days later.
Look of love: Gypsy Willis passes Martin MacNeill, a doctor accused of murdering his wife, after testifying against him on Wednesday. They had an affair for more than a year before the death
Willis revealed to the court that she met him online in 2005 and for the first time in person that November, before beginning a sexual relationship in January 2006, the Deseret News reported.
Yet when they began their relationship, she did not see it having a future, she said.
'It was just for fun,' Willis said. 'It was whenever we could get together. It was just friendly.'
'He had great respect and love for Michele,' she said. 'He said he had a family and was very happy.'
She moved into a duplex that MacNeill owned and provided her with an unlimited credit card to help her get through nursing school, she said. She used it for gas, groceries and coffee.
Accused: MacNeill, a former Sunday school teacher and father of seven, is accused of murdering his wife
After the death of Michele MacNeill, which was initially ruled as natural causes, the circumstances of their relationship changed and Willis said she and her lover began talking about a future together.
'Martin told me he felt very sorry we had been involved prior to Michele's death,' she said. 'He was embarrassed about that. He wanted me to come help him and support him.'
But he wanted the children to meet their new nanny in a neutral place, which led to the bizarre circumstances of their first meeting.
One of his daughters, Rachel MacNeill, told the court that three days after her mother's funeral, her father asked her to meet him at the LDS Mount Timpanogos Temple in American Fork.
'He thought it would be a nice place and a calming environment... a conducive way to be introduced to Rachel,' Willis explained.
At the temple, he told her he wanted them to pray for guidance about getting a new nanny and, as they left, a woman named Jyllian walked by them, Rachel MacNeill said.
Unhappy marriage: Martin MacNeill, left, allegedly gave his wife Michele, right, a cocktail of lethal drugs as she recovered from a face lift. She was found drowned in the bathtub eight days after the operation
Heartbroken: Rachael MacNeill, one of MacNeill's daughters, testified that her father took her to a temple to pray for a nanny before 'bumping' into Willis, who he pretended not to know
Her father pretended as if he could not remember the woman well and did not know her name. He later told his children that he wanted the woman to work as their nanny.
'She didn't do anything that a nanny would do,' Rachel MacNeill said. 'I expected to see what I had seen before (with those who) had been hired as nannies, that their main focus was the children. That they were there to work ... not just sitting and staring at my dad.'
After the death of his wife, MacNeill and Willis were convicted of identity fraud and served years in prison for stealing the identity of MacNeill's 16-year-old adopted daughter.
When she left federal prison, Willis was convicted on a state charge but prosecutors agreed not to seek extra jail time - provided she testified against her lover.
Yet defense attorney Randy Spencer said he thinks the testimony did little to help their case.
Big family: MacNeill, a doctor and Mormon Sunday school teacher, adopted four children with his wife
'Mr. MacNeill has done a lot of bad things in his life,' he said. 'Just because you're a bad man, however, does not make you a murderer.'
While they were imprisoned, the couple wrote to each other and planned to make a future but now, 'quite honestly, we have both lost everything', she said.
After the murder, the MacNeill children fought relentless for police to re-open the case into their mother's death, certain their father had killed her.
An autopsy indicated she died of natural causes, but a 2010 addendum to that report questioned the manner of death and authorities now believe she was drugged by her husband.
The unravelling of the MacNeill family began in 2005 when her father started losing weight, tanning and acting strangely, even disappearing for days at a time.
Stunning: MacNeill allegedly forced his wife Michele, pictured, into having a facelift and gave her a lethal mix of drugs as she was recovering. He found her dead in the bathtub of their home
Doting: Michele was described as a loving mother who did everything for her children and her husband
In 2007, Michele became convinced her husband was having an affair after she found out the same number had been called over and over again at strange hours of the morning.
A few days later, MacNeill came to his wife with a strange request: He wanted her to have a facelift.
Two weeks later, she had the surgery and was back at home recovering with Valium, Percocet, Phenergan and Ambien pills, supplied by her husband.
A few days later, as she struggled with her recovery, she told her daughter: 'In case anything happens to me, make sure it was not your father.'
Michele was found dead in the bathtub just eight days after the surgery.
MacNeill claimed his wife slipped and fell, and he discovered her on returning home from collecting his then six-year-old daughter.
'Killed': Prosecutors say MacNeill did not give his wife CPR, as he had claimed, and purposefully gave the 911 dispatcher the wrong address to further delay emergency responders
In a series of frantic 911 calls, he hung up on the operator three times in five minutes. He lied to the dispatcher about performing CPR and gave the wrong address of his residence, which delayed emergency responders, prosecutors claim.
According to an affidavit, Utah State Medical Examiner Todd Grey said the combination of medicines found in her body, which may have been forced upon her and could have been lethal.
'When my father called I knew he'd killed her,' Alexis Somers said. 'I just started screaming he killed her. My father planned and orchestrated my mother's death and thought he could get away with it.'
Family members have said they suspect Willis was also involved in Michele MacNeill's death, but she has not been charged in the case.
The preliminary hearing is expected to finish on Thursday when Judge Samuel McVey will determine if there is enough evidence to order MacNeill to stand trial.
WHO runs the world? Beyoncé. But she wants other women to join in on the fun, too. Queen Bey flew her feminist flag high today ... Full story
- Crash victims survive after car is crushed flat by lorry's shipping container load
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Beyonce and Jay Z wear matching ski masks in new poster announcing their summer tour On The Run Star
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- 10 ways to improve your body
- Antonio Brown accused of dangling child from overpass while drunk and dressed as a clown
- White Republican Dave Wilson wins election in inner city Houston after PRETENDING to be African-American in campaign flyers
- Mystery of creepy dolls left outside California homes that resemble the little girls who live there
- Drunken mockery of U.S. tourists in the wake of 9/11 returns to haunt soccer star Lampard as he prepares to sign for NYC team
- Homeowner makes astonishing TV boast about shooting 'pregnant' home invader dead as she pleaded for mercy - as police say her ACCOMPLICE could be charged with her murder
- Man goes to hospital for circumcision, wakes up with no penis
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- 'Hamas militants' rounded up by Israeli soldiers during Gaza offensive
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Math teacher Ashley Anderson, 24, 'who sent students nude pics of herself' admits to having sex with them
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- Couple killed in Virginia campsite tornado as their son fights for his life
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Daniel Stillwell: Man who killed ex-girlfriend, another man in double homicide found dead after driving car over cliff
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- Indian rape suspects lie beaten after 7-year-old girl found hanging from tree
- Fancy a bite? Woman hauls in massive 143.7kg tuna south of Sydney that is big enough to feed an entire suburb
- Buddhist monk sex tape made by woman and holy man in their Massachusetts' temple leaks online and prompts her to sue
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Would YOU eat dog meat?
- Daughter holds 'wedding' ceremony so her terminally ill father can walk her down the aisle
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Golfing buddies make parody of Queen's iconic hit Bohemian Rhapsody
- Chinese billionaire Liu Yiqian drinks world's most expensive cup of tea
- Three shot, killed at Crystal Point Apartments parking lot in DeKalb Co
- US weighs refugee status for Central American kids
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- Arkansas man who 'stabbed his pregnant girlfriend to death while her daughter, 2, slept' says he can't remember killing her
- Teacher 'had sex with student in house near middle school for over a year'
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Georgia father Justin Ross Harris researched child death in hot car on Internet
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|