Neighbor Zachary Dewayne Holly arrested in the murder of six-year-old girl Jersey Bridgeman
Arkansas police have arrested a neighbor in the killing of a six-year-old girl whose body was found two days before Thanksgiving.
Zachary Dewayne Holly, 28, of Bentonville, Arkansas, is being charged with capital murder, kidnapping and residential burglary and is being held in the local county jail.
Little Jersey Bridgeman was reported missing the morning of November 20, and her body was found minutes after a search began in an abandoned house two doors from her home.
Jersey, whose father and stepmother were jailed last year for chaining her to a dresser, disappeared from her bedroom at her home in Bentonville on Monday night.
Zachary Holly is escorted to a hearing in Bentonville, Arkansas, on Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2012 to appear in front of a judge where he was charged with killing 6-year-old Jersey Bridgeman
Murdered: Police are questioning sex offenders in the death of 6-year-old girl Jersey Bridgeman whose body was found after she disappeared from her home on Monday night
Tragic: Jersey Bridgeman was chained to a dresser last year by her father and stepmom before moving to live with her biological mother
‘Many questions related to this investigation and arrest will be answered by the affidavit of probable cause, which will be released on Wednesday,’ said Police Chief Jon Simpson.
Simpson said work by the State Crime Lab helped speed the arrest, but he did not reveal how Jersey was killed or release other details about her death or what led police to Holly.
Simpson said Holly will have a bail and probable cause hearing Wednesday, during which a probable cause affidavit will be released. He said the girl's family had been notified about the arrest.
Holly lives next door to the six-year-old victim, in between her house and the vacant house where her body was found.
Arrested for murder: Zachary Dewayne Holly with his wife Amanda Jo Holly
Newly weds: Zachary Dewayne Holly and Amanda Jo Holly were married in March, according to their Facebook pages
Holly, 26, states on his Facebook page that he lives with his wife Amanda Jo Holly and her four-year-old son and that he graduated from Huntsville High School in Texas in 2004.
Amanda Jo Holly is Facebook friends with Jersey’s biological mother, DesaRae Bridgeman.
Bridgeman said she last saw her daughter around midnight, before reporting her missing around 6.30am. Authorities found her body approximately 10 minutes later.
After Jersey's body was found, investigators searched the home where she lived and the house where her body was found, as well as the homes in between.
The FBI was brought in to assist in the investigation.
Meanwhile, it is still unclear where DesaRae Bridgeman was at the time of the missing persons call.
Bentonville police said on Friday that certain details of the case were being withheld 'to maintain the integrity of the investigation'.
Birthday: Jersey turned six-years-old last week
After the arrest of her father and stepmother, Jersey was put under the care of her biological mother.
According to police reports, she died between midnight and 6.43 am, when police received the call that the girl had gone missing.
Police said the six-year-old had been living with a 'relative' when she went missing.
Stepmother Jana Bridgeman, also identified as Jana Slinkard in court records, is serving a 12-year prison sentence, plus three years for a probation revocation, according to online Department of Correction records.
David Bridgeman is serving an 18-year prison sentence. Prison records show he has a tattoo that says 'Jersey'.
Questions: Police have yet to release a cause of death or a list of suspects and are still attempting to find the whereabouts of Bridgeman's mother and caretaker.
Jersey made headlines last year when her father and stepmother chained her to a dresser as part of a punishment. In conversations with childcare specialists, the six-year-old said that she slept on the floor of her parents' room and that she was tied up for misbehaving.
'She said that Jana and David chain her to the dresser because she had gotten up and eaten some pies, cereal, and bread,' Rogers Police Detective Larry Taylor wrote in the court affidavit.
He added that the girl 'stated that they put a belt around her waist so that she could not get up and get any food.'
The woman who first contacted the police about possible child endangerment said she saw Jersey tied up to the dresser with a silver chain, which appeared to be a dog collar.
Jersey's father David admitted in court that he did tie up his daughter with a belt but defended his actions by saying that this was to prevent her from getting into medication and other dangerous materials around the house.
'He said that he thinks she may be sleepwalking and that they discussed buying a child gate, but since he does not have a job, they could not afford to buy one at that time,' Taylor wrote in the court affidavit.
The father added that he had first cut a belt to fit around his daughter's ankle and added a lock on it after she had broken free. Then after she complained about the pain in her leg, he chained her by the waist instead.
'It should be noted that the chain that David used was approximately one to two feet in length and appeared to be a dog choke collar,' Taylor added.
Both Bridgeman's father and stepmother pleaded guilty to false imprisonment, permitting abuse of a minor and endangering the welfare of a minor. For their crime, the father is serving an 18-year prison sentence, while the stepmother was sentenced to 12 years.
Tragic: Jersey pictured with her biological mother DesaRae Bridgeman. It is not clear where she was when Jersey was reported missing
Shaken: More than 100 people gathered Tuesday to hold a candlelight vigil for Bridgeman.
Remembered: The six-year-old was well loved in her community and many describing her as being special.
Jersey's death has left her community shaken.
The local school district is currently working on ways to address the death and help students cope with the loss. Administrators said they hope to have finalized plan ready by the time classes resume on Monday.
On Tuesday more than 100 people gathered at the Children's Advocacy Center to hold a candlelight vigil in honor of the girl. Members of the event were visible distraught by the girl's death, and to many, she was well-loved.
'There was a unique quality about Jersey,' Beverly Engle, the center's executive director, said. 'A little old soul, but such a delight.'
A funeral for Jersey is set for 1 p.m. Tuesday at Rogers Funeral Home in Rogers.
A deputy is out of jail after police say he drove drunk and crashed into a state trooper. Now an internal investigation is under way. Riverdale ... Full story
- Kari Lynn Bryan: Educator accused of having sex with special needs student
- What ticks you off on public transport? Here's the list of things you hate most
- Ga. man John S. Kristofak pleads guilty in death of estranged wife
- Bank teller Daniel Araujo accused of stealing $10K from elderly customer
- Rapper Chief Keef arrested in Dunwoody
- Police: Women use checks stolen during fatal shooting of Jerrick Jackson
- Recruit George Ward dies training to work at DeKalb County jail
- Decatur woman Angela Riley suffers brain injury in hit-and-run
- Plane Debris Falls on Georgia Woman's House, Walmart
- Tax preparer Thessia Carpenter charged with stealing $200K from state
- Michael Parson: Man who shot wife 8 times gets 35-year sentence
- Hall Co. teacher Tony Ray Wilson accused of exposing himself to co-worker
- Police: Stockbridge man John Wesley Morgan, Jr shoots, kills elderly father
- Athens groom Erick Lamar Stevens accused of punching new bride
- Fayetteville man Terry Davis charged in stabbing death of ex-girlfriend
- Islamic Center sign in Alpharetta vandalized
- Atlanta man Jon-Christopher Sowells arrested during BMW test drive
- Police: Car thief abandons stolen SUV with child inside
- Paulding County man Christopher Michael Smith accused of rape, arrested
- D'souza family accused of embezzling $2 million from dental practice
- Teen Enrique Vallues charged in Fayette County burglary
- Morehouse athlete Chukwudi Ndudikwa accused of rape submits DNA test
- Marine describes four-day wait at VA hospital
- Cobb man Derrick Brown accused of setting off explosive at apartment pool
- Police ID cab driver found dead in Avondale Estates as Dedrick Darcelin, 42
- Oconee man Talmadge Powell arrested in murder of Waffle House waitress Misty Michelle Myrick
- Dekalb police arrest Pharoh Swindle in murder of cab driver
- Jackson County man Marty Reeves arrested for shooting deaths of woman, teen son
- Suspected Dunwoody pill mill doctor Nisar Piracha due in court today
- Cartersville humane society director Brian Canty arrested
- Man killed inside car was Morehouse student Joseph Gibbs
- Paramedics Teresa Davis, Randall Whiddon and patient killed in south Georgia ambulance wreck
- Authorities seek missing 30-year-old Conyers woman Joyce Elizabeth Reid
- Federal indictments charge 2 North Augustans Pat Carroll, Courtney Carroll with Social Security fraud
- Atlanta airport shut down after electrical explosion
- Student athlete Cyril Teal severely injured in Roswell crash
- Anna Hawkins: Local girl dies while car-surfing
- Thieves make off with $500,000 in jewelry in heist
- Former officer Shane Ladner arrested; lied about Purple Heart honor
- Suspect Marvin Bailey hides in attic with 3 children, wife lies to police
- Rockmart man Michael Patterson paralyzed after diving into creek to rescue girl
- Storms topple large trees in Cobb Co. subdivisions
- Georgia convict Marcus Tillman arrested in Calif. after 4 years
- Video: Bank error shows Gwinnett woman Ann Wiley $300 million in debt
- Sandy Springs outages, closures; hard hit by storms
- Gunman opens fire on driver in southwest Atlanta
- Panel to weigh whether Tyrone Brooks should be suspended
- Thieves manufacture cards using stolen credit card info
- NWS confirms EF-1 tornado hit Cherokee County
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|