Lesbian Mallory Owens allegedly beaten by girlfriend's brother Travis Hawkins at Thanksgiving dinner
UPDATE: 'It's not a hate crime': Lesbian brutally beaten 'by girlfriend's brother' at Thanksgiving dinner says the attack was NOT because she is gay
A woman was savagely attacked on Thanksgiving by her girlfriend’s brother during a family gathering.
Mallory Owens was attending the dinner in Mobile, Alabama, with girlfriend Alex Hawkins when the family affair turned violent.
According to reports, Miss Hawkins' brother Travis did not approve of their relationship and attacked Miss Owens after dinner, allegedly knocking her down and pummeling her with his fists.
Scroll down for video
Victim: Mallory Owens, left, was left horribly injured after attending Thanksgiving dinner with girlfriend Alex Hawkins, right
Brutality: Miss Owens was hospitalized for several days after the attack, receiving treatment for a broken nose in the beating that was so bad her eyes were swollen shut
Her mother Kristi Taylor told WKRG-TV: 'He tried to kill her. He's lucky he didn't kill her. She's lucky to be alive. I didn't recognize her when I got here. It's hard to look at her like that.'
Miss Owens was hospitalized and treated for a broken nose and numerous lacerations. Her eyes were swollen shut after the brutal beating and she had to receive facial reconstruction surgery.
Ms Taylor said that there was friction with the Hawkins family over the fact that her daughter was gay and had a relationship with the sister, which Hawkins reportedly did not approve of.
Despite the accusations, Hawkins cannot be charged with a hate crime because Alabama law doesn't include sexual orientation among bias offenses, according to the Anti-Defamation League.
The accused: Travis Hawkins was charged with second-degree assault in the attack, and was later released on bond
And Alabama is not alone, as 26 other states are also without hate crime laws protecting members of the LGBT community, including Texas, Virginia and Missouri.
Earlier this year, Hawkins allegedly hit Miss Owens over the head with a pipe wrench. While she was injured in that attack, no charges were filed.
Her mother told the station: 'I did not want her to go, I begged her not to go, knowing how the family felt about her. But she said, "They're trying to be nice."'
Hawkins was arrested on Sunday and charged with second-degree assault, and later released on bond.
Family and supporters of Miss Owens believe those charges should be much more severe.
A Facebook group entitled 'Charge Travis Hawkins Jr with the attempted murder of Mallory Owens' has sprung up on Facebook, garnering nearly 600 likes in less than a day.
Miss Owens' sister Avery Godwin told AL.com that Hawkins called her on Friday to say 'that he would finish what he started last night with Mallory.'
Information about an attorney for Hawkins was not immediately available.
It’s also not the first time that police have been called to the Hawkins home.
Last year, Hawkins was hospitalized after he was allegedly shot in the chest by his father, Travis Hawkins Sr.
WKRG-TV reported that the elder Hawkins was later released on bail and the case was never brought to trial after his son refused to testify against him.
Unrecognizable: Miss Owens suffered numerous lacerations and required facial reconstruction surgery after the attack
- Australian Jodie Rose who married Le Pont du Diable BRIDGE celebrates 1st anniversary
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- Gloom with a view: Abandoned German hotel that once allowed only the finest people to enter but is now home to bugs and cockroaches
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- David Nabhan can 'predict earthquakes' and says next one in US will be on July 12
- Meet the big game huntresses who have killed more than 70 species
- 'I lost nearly 2 stone in 24 HOURS': Sport scientist proves rapid weight loss IS possible (if you're prepared to exercise wearing bin bags, eat no carbs and drink nothing)
- Nine suspected Al Qaeda members on trial in Yemen accused of plotting to kill the country's president and kidnap foreigners
- Phenix City Board of Education motions to dismiss lawsuit filed against them
- The great celebrity shoe's who: Yes, those vertiginous YSL heels are Kate Winslet's. But, as stars donate their favourite pairs to charity, can you match the other celebrities to their footwear?
- Attacks in Iraq around religious ritual kill 22
- Man plotting a murder butt dials his intended victim while talking to the hit man about how he should make it 'look like an accident'
- Pictured for the first time: Communist sect 'leader' accused of keeping three women as slaves for more than 30 years
- Deputies: Guyton man had sex on video with underage boy and dog
- Richmond County's handicap parking enforcement lags behind Columbia County
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Widow of Dallas cop gunned down by JFK killer Lee Harvey Oswald forgives him
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Victims' families call Bulger 'Satan,' 'terrorist'
- Atlanta man's body found In California missing organs
- Simon Cowell: The secret to success is being rubbish at school
- Rap Genius' Mahbod Moghadam had brain tumor that made him mean
- Paul McCartney writes to Putin asking to free Greenpeace protesters
- Local businessmen gather for Hall of Fame induction
- Oprah Winfrey's father ordered to pay $70K to ex-wife after 'adultery with prostitute'
- Samsung to launch a wraparound screen next year: Rumours abound that new Galaxy model could have a THREE-sided screen
- 'This whole thing -- it's a mess!' Obama's health care 'fix' angers insurance companies
- Supreme Court green-lights Obamacare birth-control showdown
- Sex-for-drinks scandal called "mamading" rocks Mallorca bars
- TVA closing 8 coal units at plants in Ala. and Ky.
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- UGA-Auburn game on CBS Saturday
- Angelina really is a foxy lady! Scientists discover that silver foxes share the same facial characteristics as beautiful women
- Sierra Club, Georgia Watch host public meeting on Georgia Power rate hike
- Christmas comes early in Columbus with The Landings parade.
- UGA teams with USDA to track dog treat illnesses
- Kid-killing rapist found guilty of murdering 6-year-old boy who was trying to save his sister from fiend's brutal attack
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Rayonier marks Jesup plant's $385M expansion
- Nearly one-third of Cherry Tree Crossing families have moved out of complex
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|