Christopher Krumm: 'Bow and arrow' killer murders woman and father at Casper College
Police have identified the man who stabbed a woman and killed his own father with a bow and arrow before killing himself in a senseless act of murder at a central Wyoming community college.
Casper Police Chief Chris Walsh said today that Christopher Krumm, 25, of Vernon, Connecticut, first stabbed his dad's girlfriend Heidi Arnold, 42, about two miles southwest of Casper College on Friday morning.
Krumm then went to the college and shot his father, 56-year-old computer science instructor James Krumm, in the head with the bow-and-arrow in front of his horrified students.
He then stabbed himself with a large knife.
Walsh said the younger Krumm smuggled the weapon into the classroom under a blanket.
The classroom killing prompted a college-wide lockdown as police attempted to ensure that it did not spiral into yet another campus massacre.
Casper Police Chief Chris Walsh said investigators were still trying to determine a motive.
Christopher Krumm graduated from the University of Colorado in 2008, where he studied in the school's Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
'I want to emphasize that this is a horrible tragedy,' Walsh said. 'And I want the city to... just feel safe right now. There is no one at large.'
The attack at the two-year community college in Casper occurred just before 9am in a classroom on the science building's third floor. All students and staff were evacuated from the building.
The college sent out a campus-wide alert via text message and email within two minutes of receiving word of the attack at 9.06am, school spokesman Rich Fujita said.
The lockdown ended at about 11am after school officials received word that police were no longer searching for a suspect.
There are fewer classes on Fridays than any other day of the week at Casper College, so only between 1,500 and 2,000 of the college's 5,000 students were there, Fujita added.
Tragedy: Students and staff listen to a new conference discussing the apparent murder-suicide on their campus.
Political science instructor Chris Henrichsen said he was showing the film Frost/Nixon to his government class when he stepped into the hall to get something for a student and was told a homicide had occurred on campus.
He went back to his classroom, where students were getting messages about the campus lockdown on their phones.
'We locked the door and waited for further instruction,' Henrichsen said.
The students were later sent home, but some who parked near a different campus building where the attack occurred had to leave their cars there, Henrichsen said.
About two miles away, Dave Larsen said he was headed to the gym when he drove past a body in a gutter with two people standing over it, one talking on a cellphone.
Larsen lives about a block from the location of the body, a well-kept neighborhood of mostly single-story houses.
Emergency vehicles had the street blocked off on Friday afternoon.
Scene: The horrific murder-suicide took place in the science building of the community college
Walsh said 33 law enforcement officers from different agencies responded to the college after receiving reports of the attack. He said authorities first thought it might have been an 'active-shooter-type situation.'
'We quickly contained the building and started a sweep through the building,' he said.
Walsh said that within minutes of the initial call, there was another report of a traumatic injury about two miles southwest of campus. That victim was found in the street, the Star-Tribune reported.
Classes were canceled for the rest of the day at the school, one of seven community colleges in Wyoming.
A meeting was held in the afternoon for the 150 teachers and students who remained. College president Walt Nolte addressed them, calling it the worst day of his more than 40 years in higher education and encouraging the community to come together.
'It is particularly painful because of our size,' Fujita said of the small, tight-knit campus.
Counselors were speaking to students and planned to be available through the weekend. About 450 students live on campus.
Classes are due to resume on Monday.
'We agreed it doesn't do any good to just set the students loose. It makes the most sense to have them come back to campus, where they can get help if they need help and come to terms with what happened,' Fujita said.
Investigation: Police were concerned there could be a gunman at large on the campus or in the town
Walsh said police train for such incidents but had no warning of Friday's violence.
Wyoming governor Matt Mead, who went to the campus on Friday evening, said it was too early to assess security precautions at the college.
'There's no sense in doing that now until we understand fully what has taken place,' he said.
The governor added that the focus now 'should be on the victims' family, the community college family, the president, the trustees and the students, and making sure we're attending to any of their needs.'
Casper College opened in 1945 as the state's first junior college and moved to its current site 10 years later. The campus consists of 28 buildings on more than 200 acres. The college provides more than 140 academic-transfer, technical and career programs.
Casper is Wyoming's second-largest city with a population of about 56,000. Wyoming residents refer to it as the 'Oil City' because it's a hub for the state's oil industry.
A high school teacher in Utah has been arrested for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student who was able to accurately describe ... Full story
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Louisa Ball: Real-life Sleeping Beauty who sleeps for two weeks at a time
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- How NOT to dive off a diving board
- Congressional staffer Dianne Reidy goes on bizarre rant about Freemasons and God
- Controversial pastor Arthur Allen dies in house fire
- Beyonce recreates iconic Rosie the Riveter feminist poster in new photo shoot
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- Is this the BUK missile launcher that downed flight MH17? Startling new picture emerges of gun-toting pro-Russian separatist posing in front of military hardware in Ukraine
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Heads on sticks: Sick ISIS video emerges showing 50 beheaded Syrian soldiers being impaled on poles and held aloft in Raqqa city
- Serena Williams wants to play tennis until she's 40
- Jenny McCarthy is 'terrified' after screwing over Oprah
- Pilot Michael James Pascal charged after allegedly groping a sleeping 14-year-old girl
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Antonio Brown accused of dangling child from overpass while drunk and dressed as a clown
- Sheyla Hershey: Model who had biggest breasts in the world in a coma 'after taking a drugs overdose'
- Girlfriend Raquel Gonzalez ‘beat up her boyfriend after bad sex left her unsatisfied’
- More than $50 million stolen from unguarded van belonging to Libya's Central Bank
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- How low can he go? Boy, 6, breaks world record after he rollerskates under 39 cars parked just five inches off the ground
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Teacher Janel Ramirez seduced student by telling him he looked like 'Twilight' star
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- South Dakota bar owner Werner Fajardo charged with raping 3 girls
- US outlines case against Russia on downed plane
- Teacher Leslie Lamb Messer arrested 'for sex with student'
- Bad Santas! The police mugshots with an uncanny resemblance to Santa Claus
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Pregnant woman, 27, arrested 'after posting a selfie on Facebook wearing a stolen dress'
- My prison makeover: The hairdresser Kaylin Ransom, with 28 different (and very glamorous) mugshots
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- Florida man's smartphone takes a bullet for him
- Naked man walks into school's locker room, scares cheerleaders
- ‘Bored’ thug karate kicks innocent woman in the face in random attack
- Female 'separatist' posts Instagram selfie with mascara 'looted' from MH17 crash site
- Billionaire's Wife Lisa Maria Falcone charged with 'driving while ability impaired' in Hamptons crash
- Married Arizona woman Jennifer Dempsey, 35, posed as 16-year-old online to have sex with teen boys
- Tennessee woman Hannah Steiner, 18, 'raped 13-year-old boy in church after Sunday school service'
- Louise Thompson, FIFTH victim has emergency surgery as flesh-eating bacteria strikes again
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 380
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31
- Teacher Ashley Payne fired for posting picture of herself holding beer on Facebook 29
- 15-Year-Old Held In Girlfriend Angel Freeman's Killing; Gun Found In Creek 26
- New Mexico pastor Gregory Griego, woman, two girls and a boy shot dead during Saturday night shooting spree 25
- 'Wrap your legs around my head': Married Fox weatherman Geoff Fox fired after 'inappropriate' sexting chats with female photographer 22
- Teen Alex Dahm charged with drug possession 21
- Marietta Teen James Glover to be Tried as Adult in beating of a 94-year-old man 20
- Syfy's new show 'Defiance' sucks 20
- Dekalb County Teen Marquis Overstreet Found Shot, Killed, Stabbed 30 Times 19
- Joyriding teens Dustin Surrett, Tessa Upton nabbed in stolen Jaguar 19
- 17-year-old Quavante Combs drowns in Lake Lanier 18
- Husband James Felio Killed By Police After Fight With Wife 17
- James Taylor Named By Colleagues As Pilot From Cockpit Rant 17
- Babysitter Loni Bouchard 'had sex with boy, 14, she was hired to look after' 16
- Suspect In Double Homicide Michael Ntiamoah Is Federal Officer 15
- Police: Woman talking on cell caused crash killing 2 15
- Teacher Shannon Schmieder Sentenced to 40 Years for Affair with 14 Year Old 15
- Police: Ex-Substitute Rene Frank Pregnant With Student’s Twins 14
- Colin Kaepernick: Biological mother Heidi Russo wants relationship with quarterback son she gave up 14
- Teens Sarah Riffe, Michael Perry killed by Jeep in east Georgia town 13
- Gwinnett, Forsyth teens Brandon Hodges, Christian Walker, killed in wreck 13
- Tennessee woman Neena Costanza charged in death of her baby girl by her boyfriend 13
- Teen Demarquis Elkins Arrested in Georgia Baby Shooting Death 13
- Emma Watson suffers wardrobe malfunction night out 12
- Fleeing Driver Adam Sides Hits Officer Head-On During Chase 12
- Smyrna Police Officer Curtis Clyde Cook Fired After Drug Bust 12
- 16-Year-Old Son Charged In Crash That Killed His Mother 12
- 3 Pedestrians Hit, 2 Dead near Interstate 675 in Stockbridge 12
- Atlanta Woman Lashawna Threatt Dies after Fall from W Hotel Room 11
- Florida Man Steven Cozzie Held In Slaying of Georgia Teen Courtney Wilkes in Florida 11
- PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage' 11
- Teens Jekari Strozier, Antonio Pass, Johnathan Anthony, Kemonta Bonds charged in death of Mableton man 11
- Teen Cheyenne Sauls Killed In Crash; 17-Year-Old Driver Charged With DUI 10
- Daytona Woman Katie Burson Dies After House Party Shooting 10
- Florida woman Danisa Landaeta arrested for drawing picture of bomb on friend's bag at Miami International Airport 10
- Cops: Mableton Woman Chakaya Folborg stabs sister to death with steak knife 9
- Atlanta Woman Crystal Cross Alleges Beating From Ga. State Patrol 9
- UPDATE: Teen Terry Johnson, Charged In Murder of Shakira Hudson 8
- LA Fitness Manager Juhahn Belcher 's Death Ruled Suspicious 8
- Newnan officer Josh Keller shoots girlfriend in abdomen 8
- Off-Duty Officer Shoots Teen In Nightclub Parking Lot 8
- Dunkin' Donuts employee Melissa Redmond busted for prostitution; sold sex out of restaurant 8
- Teenage Boy Cody Riddle Drowns In Boone Lake 8
- Female Driver Priscilla Johnson Charged After Hitting 3 Teens with Car 8
- Pedestrian Latara Worthy run over, killed in Union City 8
- Revealed: Dramatic pictures of Trayvon's lifeless body as new evidence shows Zimmerman bleeding with 'broken nose' 8
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|