Hailey Dunn: Missing Girl Search Ends in Heartbreak
Human skeletal remains were found on Tuesday in Big Spring, Texas, not far from where Colorado City teen Hailey Dunn disappeared more than a year ago.
A source close to the investigation told The Huffington Post that some people believe the body could be Dunn's but cannot be certain until dental records are compared.
Big Spring Police Department Sgt. Tony Everett did not immediately return messages left by HuffPost, but said in a media release that the remains were discovered at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday by workers in a pasture near Big Spring McMahon-Wrinkle Airport. The city-owned airport is located about 100 miles south of Lubbock, Texas.
"Investigators found that the remains are human, but due to the condition of the remains, nothing else can be determined at this time," Everett said.
According to Colorado City Police Chief Roy "Tinker" Owens, it was not immediately clear whether the remains are those of a female or a male. It is also impossible to tell right now when the body was deposited in the area, the chief said.
"We have been in contact with Big Spring's police and I am aware of what they have so far," Owens told HuffPost.
"Unfortunately, they don’t know anything" yet, he said. "I have instructed my team it is in ... Big Spring's jurisdiction. If they get to a point where they feel what they have is pertinent to our case, as far as Hailey is concerned, I know they['ll] be on the horn giving us a holler, and then we'll be involved."
"But until that point, we'll just stay out of the way and wait for them to let us know what's going on," Owens said.
The crime scene was secured yesterday and this morning as an evidence recovery team from the FBI’s Dallas field office began work.
Dunn, a cheerleader, was last seen in Colorado City just after Christmas Day in 2010. Colorado City is located about 70 miles west of Abilene, Texas, and has a population of about 4,000.
Dunn's mother, Billie Dunn, 34, reported her 13-year-old daughter missing on the morning of Dec. 28, 2010. The Colorado City Middle School student had been last seen the previous afternoon. Billie Dunn's then boyfriend, Shawn Adkins, 25, told police that the teen was going to spend the night with a friend.
That friend later told police that she had not made any plans for Hailey Dunn to spend the night and was unaware that the girl was coming over. Billie Dunn later told police she had fought with her daughter before she went missing.
Colorado City Police, along with the Texas Rangers, the Mitchell County Sheriff's Office and other law enforcement departments in the region conducted several searches for Dunn but found no sign of her.
Affidavits released after Dunn's disappearance indicate Adkins and Billie Dunn gave contradictory statements to investigators and both failed polygraph examinations.
"Adkins has volunteered to [undergo] a polygraph examination on three occasions, and on the first two occasions, upon his arrival, he terminated the polygraph examinations by walking out and refusing to cooperate with [the] investigator," an affidavit states.
"On the third attempt to polygraph, Adkins submitted to the first stage of the polygraph, and the result of the polygraph was 'deception indicated,' meaning that Adkins failed the examination on the relevant questions of knowing the whereabouts of Hailey Dunn," it states.
Billie Dunn was initially prohibited from taking a polygraph because she was found to be under the influence of narcotics, authorities said. When investigators later conducted the tests, the results were similar to Adkins', the court documents state.
"On the second attempt to conduct a polygraph examination of Dunn ... the result of the examination was deception indicated ... Dunn could not explain why she failed the polygraph examination. Dunn ended the interview by walking out of the interview," the affidavit states.
The court documents point out numerous inconsistencies in statements Adkins gave to police regarding his job and whereabouts on Dec. 27, 2010. Statements that Adkins provided police contradicted information obtained from his cell phone records, police said.
The affidavit also disclosed that several true-crime stories, which had been printed out from TruTV's online Crime Library, were found inside the home of Adkins and Dunn. The stories were about serial killers, sexual sadists and mass murderers, and included an 18-page story on George Emil Banks, a mass murderer who slaughtered his family and then went on a killing spree.
"Dunn indicated she and Adkins were both interested in the topic of the documents," the affidavit said. "Billie Dunn described the topics as a 'hobby.'"
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Harlem Globetrotter William "Bull" Bullard escapes with minor injuries as backboard smashes beside him
- New reality show Little Women LA hit by legal trouble before premiere
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Georgia Governor Nathan Deal finally takes responsibility for winter weather chaos
- Atlanta Man Torico Jackson indicted in 7-year-old murder case
- Tour de France winner Vincenzo Nibali goes in for kiss, spectacularly denied
- Daughter of British couple found dead in New Jersey home says she has 'inner peace' knowing parents are now 'stress-free' as deaths are ruled murder suicide
- Sleeping man picture goes viral
- California high school asked to abandon 'offensive' Arab mascot
- Neymar takes selfie with girlfriend Gabriella Lenzi after Brazil World Cup win
- Investigators believe girl found dead in trash can died of starvation
- Serena Williams tops Victoria Azarenka to win U.S. Open title
- Squirrel invasion sweeping Georgia
- Meet the seven women of Bravo's 'Ladies of London' whose drinking, cat fighting, royal name dropping and even labor scenes are coming to TV
- Woman shot to death while seeking help, intruder's "fear" may exonerate him
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- The world explained in maps revealing everything you need to know
- Meet 12 girls 'duped' by show which promises chance to marry Prince Harry
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Pictured: Theodore Wafer, 54, charged with MURDER of Renisha McBride
- Feds post food allergy guidelines for schools
- DeKalb police invite public comment
- Your Week in History: Elections and insurrections
- JFK assassination historic items on display to mark 50th anniversary of President's death
- Documents show meager early enrollment in fed healthcare exchange
- SCAD students recreate Cinderella's Carriage
- Attacks in Iraq around religious ritual kill 22
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- Gloom with a view: Abandoned German hotel that once allowed only the finest people to enter but is now home to bugs and cockroaches
- Slain LAX TSA officer remembered as a family man
- Brazilians blowing up over 2014 FIFA World Cup song
- Deputies: Guyton man had sex on video with underage boy and dog
- President Obama catches fainting pregnant woman
- School bus driver and Christian preacher fired for leading students in prayer in violation of Supreme Court ruling
- Robert Felix Gonzales charged with prostituting teen runaway on Craigslist in exchange for meth and cash
- 'Believe me. I have been there': The sympathetic messages Alec Baldwin sent to his stalker in response to her multiple emails
- Philippines officials accused of prioritising Typhoon Haiyan aid in areas that voted for them
- Cuddle hormone Oxytocin holds the secret to looking beautiful
- Running for a cause this weekend in Richmond Hill
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|