Little Falls Man Byron Smith Accused of Killing Two Teen Burglars, Not Reporting Shooting
Police have taken into custody a 64-year-old Minnesota man accused of killing two teens he said broke into his home and hiding their bodies in his basement.
Byron Smith was arrested after he told police officers of the shooting a day later, after they visited his home to investigate reports of suspicious activities.
‘Smith immediately told the deputies that he had shot and killed two people breaking into his home the day prior,’ the sheriff's office said in a news release.
Police said that they recovered the body of an 18-year-old female and a 17-year-old male from Smith’s home, and ABC News affiliate KSTP-TV in Minnesota is reporting that the two are cousins Haley Kifer and Nicholas Brady.
Minnesota law stipulates that individuals are permitted to use deadly force when defending their homes, but authorities said that there was evidence to suggest that Smith may have gone beyond self defense.
‘A person has every right to defend themselves and their homes, even employing deadly force if necessary,’ Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel said in a news release. ‘Circumstances of this case however, led deputies to believe that Smith went beyond that point.’
Smith, a former government employee who also worked in security, was arrested Friday and is being held on second degree murder charges. He will appear in court Monday where more details will likely emerge.
According to his friends, Smith said that he had didn’t go to police immediately after the shooting because he panicked.
‘He was very traumatized by what had occurred and didn’t know who to call or what to do and that is very sad that the whole even happened,’ Kathy Lange said of her friend to KSTP-TV.
Victims: Cousins Kifer and Brady were said to have been robbing Smith's home when they were shot and killed.
Different Pictures: Friends and family said that Brady (left) and Kifer (right) were model students, while others said that they weren't surprised they would be involved in a robbery. Smith believes the two have robbed his home more than once.
John Lange said that Smith might have ‘snapped’ after having been burglarized at least twice before by other teens in the area, according to the Star Tribune. Smith said that he suspected that the two had been responsible for at least some of those past robberies.
Students who went to the same school as Brady, one of the victims, said that they weren’t surprised that he would be involved in a robbery.
‘He gets in trouble at school a lot and it’s something that could happen with his friend group,’ Forest Wonderlich told KSTP-TV.
Meanwhile, those who knew the two painted a starkly different picture.
Kifer was a senior at Little Falls High School who was heavily involved in diving and gymnastics, while principal Scott Doss of Pillager High School, where Brady had attended, said he had a ‘million-dollar smile.’
A Facebook tribute page has already been made for the two where commenters have posted notes like ‘Hope The Authorities Figure out How Everything Really Happened and Soon' and 'Absolutely deplorable! The truth will come out eventually.'
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- 'Deranged' man who attacked shrink with a sledgehammer was actually a hitman hired by his ex
- A man having sex with a goat and a naked woman straddling a statue: Ancient Roman frescoes get a modern artistic makeover
- 'Basically, I was against all white people.' Hoops superstar Michael Jordan admitted he turned racist when a girl at school called him a 'n****r,' new book reveals
- 70% of mothers are left feeling like the 'bad cop' while fathers become 'fun one' in family
- Police: Car thief abandons stolen SUV with child inside
- Deputies: Guyton man had sex on video with underage boy and dog
- Family sues after 10-year-old son dies of RAT-BITE FEVER from pet rodent they purchased at Petco
- Woman, 26, charged with second-degree rape of 13-year-old boy
- Six people and an ELEPHANT killed in crash in Thailand
- 'When you get mouth sores always eat Jell-O, and flirt with nurses': Boy, 7, sends his NFL hero David Quessenberry heartfelt video of support after they're diagnosed with the same cancer
- Cops: Wife Kia Jeffries kills former pro boxer Earnest Abdul-Mateen in self-defense
- SSU football player redefines student athlete
- Laura Ackerson, missing N.C. mother found dismembered; ex-boyfriend and his wife charged
- Outraged pizza delivery boy exposes cheap tipper online after getting a measly $10 gratuity on a $1,453 bill
- Honor student, 16, pleads guilty to stabbing to death his two adopted brothers, ages four and ten, while babysitting the boys
- Detroit teenager pleads guilty in Steve Utash mob beating
- Opelika High School graduate visits with Rep. Mike Rogers
- The sunscreen that can set you on FIRE: Banana Boat issues recall after users are set alight in freak accidents
- Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple
- Moammar Gaddafi's daughter-in-law in racy photo
- Missouri grandparents who won Powerball reveal how they will spend their $294 million
- Wyck Knox Jr., Thomas Blanchard Jr. to be inducted into CSRA Business Hall of Fame
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- Body parts of dismembered 12-year-old boy discovered in Indian village after kidnapper discovers victim's family had contacted police
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Four babies ‘cured’ of HIV in breakthrough
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- Pick-up truck hits charter bus on Pooler Parkway near I-95 NB off ramp
- Questions arise about Marion County drinking water
- Study: Teens spend too much time staring at screens
- Columbus Friends of Libraries used book sale scheduled for August
- Study: Sexual assaults not reported on college campuses; CSU weighs in
- Officials: Airport worker won't be punished after run-in with manager
- Chestnut sets new world record in hot dog eating contest
- Mayim Bialik, Husband Michael Stone Finalize Divorce
- Lowe's Home Improvement Store to bring 600 jobs to northwest Georgia
- Dolphin dies in China after tourists hoist it out of water to pose for photographs
- School volunteer Lynne Freeman charged in 2nd child sex case
- Medicaid caution warranted, lawmakers said
- Feds 'working with' Georgia even as plans drop out of exchange
- California high school asked to abandon 'offensive' Arab mascot
- How nostalgia is good for you: Happy memories make people more optimistic and less anxious about the future
- Girl, 5, with terminally ill cancer becomes princess for a day in Texas town's princess parade
- Explosive new book claims Princess Anastasia DID escape to the West
- Denver interstate crash involves 100-plus cars, 1 dead
- Several rescued animals find new homes at WTVM Give 9 pet adoption rally
- Boy, 15, in a coma after suspected parkour stunt gone wrong 'involving 20-foot jump off school roof'
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|