Kayla Ann Hendrickson, 16, shot dead on highway by man who turned gun on himself the next day
More from Local
- Passenger in his 30s dies in his sleep on flight from Denver to Salt Lake City
- Florida man Jesus Maqueira arrested, charged with murder of missing Miami woman Raquel Maria Calderin
- Penn basketball star Matthew White killed by wife who caught him looking at child porn'
- Female school librarian Marisa Anton 'burst into tears' after being caught in police sting after she pestered 16-year-old student for sex
- The family with FIVE killers: Gunman who shot dead man in robbery follows in footsteps of uncle, mother and two brothers
A 16-year-old girl found killed on a motorway died of gunshot wounds, Oregon state police said.
Kayla Ann Hendrickson, from Beaverton, Oregon was found dead along the Highway 6 east of Tillamook, late Friday night.
The only suspect involved in her death, Jacob Allen Green, 24, reportedly shot himself in his car the following day.
According to police Ms Hendrickson and Mr Green, from Newport, knew each other.
Mr Green, who worked for a Newport area logging company, shot himself in his parked car in Humboldt County, California.
He later died in hospital and is so far the only suspect in the investigation into Kayla Ann’s death.
His vehicle matched the one seen by witnesses on Highway 6 around 10.15pm Friday night.
It was described as an unknown make or model late 1980′s to early 1990′s full-size pickup was observed stopped on the north side shoulder of the westbound lane on Highway 6 between milepost 18 and 19.
Two people, a man and woman, were seen along the highway near the car.
About 25 minutes later another witness reported ‘suspicious circumstances’ at the same spot, where the responding state trooper later found Kayla Ann Hendrickson’s body.
Oregon state police said in a statement that Mr Green 'shot himself and died later at an area hospital.
'The joint investigation between Humboldt County Sheriff's Office and Tillamook County Major Crime Team confirmed the deceased male is known to Hendrickson and is tentatively believed to be involved with her death.'
Police ask that anyone with information about the case, including anyone who was traveling in the area at that time, call state police at 800-452-7888.
Investigation: Police are still investigating the two deaths although it has been established they knew each other (file photo)