Gray Bonnet Girl of Ga.'s 121st Regiment Remembered
More from Macon
- Paulding woman Delores Sibert killed, teen injured in Cobb County crash
- Police arrest Jonathan Irving, Christopher Snelson accused of committing violent crimes in Atlanta
- Police arrest Jonathan Arnold and Donell Davis accused of altering VIN numbers, recycling vehicles
- Clayton County investigator Marcus Pittman dies in car accident
- Bibb man Wesley Drawhorn accidently shoots girlfriend while cleaning gun
At 16, Lauta Averett captured many hearts. She was the Gray Bonnet Girl, chosen to greet her heroes' homecoming - Georgia's 121st Regiment - during World War II. "To think about our mom doing that and being the gray bonnet girl, we couldn't believe it, we'd say mom! That's you?," says Lauta Clark, Averett's daughter. Averett beat out about 200 girls to claim the title of a contest she didn'...