Massive house explosion kills 18-month-old baby, injures 14 others
More from U.S. Headlines
- Matthew Jackson killed after his random act of kindness
- Couple who 'once ate discarded food' put $500,000 in Salvation Army kettle
- NY woman Brittany Leith survives car crash, killed trying to retrieve personal items
- San Francisco’s ‘Hot’ cop Chris Kohrs arrested for hit and run
- Preacher Gabriel Omogbo arrested after being accused of beating, robbing and raping escorts
An explosion leveled a Long Island home Tuesday, killing an 18-month-old boy and injuring at least 14 others, four of them critically.
The toddler was among six people who were inside the home on Prospect Dr. in Brentwood when it exploded minutes before noon, Newsday reported, citing fire department officials.
“I heard a big boom,” a neighbor, Joanne Collins, 60, told Newsday. “The whole house shook. The car horns were going off on the street.”
Investigators were still trying to determine what caused the explosion, but the Suffolk County Police Department arson squad is probing whether it was “gas-related,” Brentwood Fire Inspector Robert Kuehn told Newsday.
The toddler, who lived in the home with his parents, was pulled from the rubble following the blast.
The child’s parents had been inside the home meeting with an insurance inspector and a real estate agent.
The victims were taken to Good Samaritan Medical Center, Long Island Jewish Southside Hospital and Stony Brook University Hospital, officials said.