Nazish Noorani: Family of mother 'murdered by her husband and his girlfriend' win custody of her sons
The family of a slain woman whose husband allegedly plotted to kill her with his lover has finally won custody of her two young sons, a year after her horrifying murder.
Nazish Noorani, 27, was gunned down as she left a Ramadan dinner with her husband Kashif Parvaiz, 27. Their two sons, aged three and six, have since been in the custody of Parvaiz's parents.
But now Noorani's two brothers have wrestled custody of the boys, Shayaan and Riyaan, from the parents of the alleged murderer just ahead of the one-year anniversary of the killing.
Killed: Nazish Noorani was allegedly shot dead by her husband's lover. Her sons, Shayaan, now three, and Riyaan, six, were given to her husband's family but have now been handed over to her brothers
Speaking to the New York Post, one of her brothers, Kaleem Noorani, 29, said he was 'relieved to have the kids'.
'They will be happier here, I think,' he said on Thursday, a year after his sister died.
Parvaiz stands accused of paying his lover, Antoinette Stephen, 27, to shoot dead his wife as they walked through Boonton, New Jersey on August 16, 2011 with their youngest son.
Noorani was hit near her heart and Parvaiz, who was shot in the ankle and shoulder, allegedly to cover up any part he had in the crime. He sustained superficial wounds.
Unhappy marriage: Noorani, right, had told her family she feared her husband, who flaunted his affair
Their son, Shayaan, was not injured in the shooting, and the couple's other son was with family members inside the house.
Parvaiz initially told police his family had been attacked by a group of men who called them terrorists, but it emerged he had exchanged incriminating text messages with Stephen before the shooting.
Texts from Stephen's number to Parvaiz describe driving around the neighbourhood to see how far away the nearest police station was.
'You hang in there. Freedom is just around ur corner,' read one text sent from a phone listed to Stephen's father to Parvaiz, according to an affidavit.
Another message, allegedly sent on the day of the shooting from Stephen, said: 'Call me when u can. Delete all msgs from phone. I won't message from here on.'
New home: The boys, pictured, are now in the custody of their mother's brother, Kaleem Noorani, pictured
Family: Noorani is pictured with her brother Kaleem, who has guardianship of her sons with another brother
Remembered: The settlement came three weeks ahead of the one-year anniversary of the shooting last year
After their mother was killed, the boys were handed over to Parvaiz's parents in Brooklyn, New York, although Noorani's family protested that they should not live with the family of an alleged killer.
His family responded that the Nooranis were on welfare and too poor to raise the children.
They eventually reached a settlement three weeks ago, in which guardianship was granted to two of Noorani's brothers and her sister-in-law, the Post reported.
The Parvaiz family will still get the boys on weekends and some holidays, their lawyers said.
'We are pleased that the children’s paternal grandparents were able to come to this realisation that it was in the best interests of the children to remain with their deceased mother’s family,' Freda Khan, the Noorani family lawyer, told the paper.
'It still remains a tragic situation and bittersweet victory for my clients.'
Accused: Stephen appears in court last year accused with shooting dead her boyfriend's wife
'Plan': Parvaiz, who was shot in the leg, had originally claimed they were targeted in a racist attack
Both Parvaiz and Stephen are being held for trial. They both face charges of murder, conspiracy and weapons offences for the August 16 shooting. Parvaiz also faces child-endangerment charges.
He appeared at his first court hearing last year in a wheelchair with bandages covering his shot leg.
Following the shooting, 911 calls were released.
'I just got shot and my wife got shot!' Parvaiz shouted into the phone. 'Can you send an ambulance? I just got shot in the leg!'
Nazish's family and friends have contended that Parvaiz was an abusive philanderer who flaunted his mistress in front of her - even referring to her as his fiancée - on a recent trip to Boston.
Stephen remains in jail on a $5 million bond at the Morris County Correctional Facility in Morristown, New Jersey, where Parvaiz is being held on a $3 million.
A high school teacher in Utah has been arrested for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student who was able to accurately describe ... Full story
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- Husband caught teacher wife Amie Neely, 38, having sex with exchange student, 16, after tracking her via GPS phone app
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Fears Americans died in MH71 crash: State department investigates agency report 23 US citizens were aboard flight shot down over Ukraine
- WWE Russian-themed characters slammed for using MH17 tragedy as part of act
- Police: Pregnant woman Danielle Saxton posted selfies in stolen dress
- How not to react in a debate: TV discussion about Gaza and Syria turns violent
- Wrong-way drunk driver dies in crash that killed two women
- Firefighter calendar pin-up Taylor Murphy accused in brutal beating of transsexual girlfriend Claudia Charriez
- Is this proof British Open winner Rory McIlroy is dating Nadia Forde?
- Teacher's aide and mother of two Clarice Lee 'had sex with three students while three others watched and videotaped
- Outrage as 76-year-old man ARRESTED at town hall meeting for asking board members to speak louder
- Goldman Sachs MD Nicholas Valtz found dead after kiteboarding outing
- Clayton Board Member Trinia Garrett Accused of Downloading Porn
- Man, 97, is thrown out of retirement home for 'playing ukulele too much'
- Krystle Marie Reyes Arrested For $2.1 Million Tax Refund Scam
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Steward who changed flights to work MH17 at the last minute had wife who had swapped OFF MH370
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- American tourist, 25, found dead in Rio De Janeiro forest after 'falling into a ravine'
- Model Lucy Harrold sets up Birmingham dating website finding man of her dreams
- Women: DeKalb officer Jeremy Reynolds asked for sexual favors to avoid jail
- Pregnant woman, 27, arrested 'after posting a selfie on Facebook wearing a stolen dress'
- Ballwin woman Christine Adewunmi, 3 girls ID’d in killing
- Retired couple strangled to death over $120 by two men hired to do chores
- DeKalb high school basketball player Terrell Coleman dies
- Snapchat reveals geofilters that can only be unlocked in the right place
- NYPD cop shown on video putting suspect in deadly chokehold during arrest has gun and badge stripped
- Video shows four live cobras that appear to be protecting a sleeping baby
- Ryan Pitts who held off 200 Taliban fighters dedicates Medal of Honor to fallen comrades
- FBI searching for missing Ga. businessman Aubrey "Lee" Price accused of swindling millions
- Dog attacks and kills 7-month-old baby in Ohio
- DeKalb man William Matthews Simmons accused of inappropriate relationship with 15-year-old boy
- Johns Hopkins Health System to pay $190M after Dr. Nikita Levy taped pelvic exams
- VivaGel HIV-killing condom 'could be available to buy within months'
- So it's not just women! 30% of men admit to faking an orgasm
- Smyrna Man Ryan Stow left suicide note, disappeared with son
- Ingenious things grown-ups can do with baby products
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|