Nazish Noorani: Family of mother 'murdered by her husband and his girlfriend' win custody of her sons
The family of a slain woman whose husband allegedly plotted to kill her with his lover has finally won custody of her two young sons, a year after her horrifying murder.
Nazish Noorani, 27, was gunned down as she left a Ramadan dinner with her husband Kashif Parvaiz, 27. Their two sons, aged three and six, have since been in the custody of Parvaiz's parents.
But now Noorani's two brothers have wrestled custody of the boys, Shayaan and Riyaan, from the parents of the alleged murderer just ahead of the one-year anniversary of the killing.
Killed: Nazish Noorani was allegedly shot dead by her husband's lover. Her sons, Shayaan, now three, and Riyaan, six, were given to her husband's family but have now been handed over to her brothers
Speaking to the New York Post, one of her brothers, Kaleem Noorani, 29, said he was 'relieved to have the kids'.
'They will be happier here, I think,' he said on Thursday, a year after his sister died.
Parvaiz stands accused of paying his lover, Antoinette Stephen, 27, to shoot dead his wife as they walked through Boonton, New Jersey on August 16, 2011 with their youngest son.
Noorani was hit near her heart and Parvaiz, who was shot in the ankle and shoulder, allegedly to cover up any part he had in the crime. He sustained superficial wounds.
Unhappy marriage: Noorani, right, had told her family she feared her husband, who flaunted his affair
Their son, Shayaan, was not injured in the shooting, and the couple's other son was with family members inside the house.
Parvaiz initially told police his family had been attacked by a group of men who called them terrorists, but it emerged he had exchanged incriminating text messages with Stephen before the shooting.
Texts from Stephen's number to Parvaiz describe driving around the neighbourhood to see how far away the nearest police station was.
'You hang in there. Freedom is just around ur corner,' read one text sent from a phone listed to Stephen's father to Parvaiz, according to an affidavit.
Another message, allegedly sent on the day of the shooting from Stephen, said: 'Call me when u can. Delete all msgs from phone. I won't message from here on.'
New home: The boys, pictured, are now in the custody of their mother's brother, Kaleem Noorani, pictured
Family: Noorani is pictured with her brother Kaleem, who has guardianship of her sons with another brother
Remembered: The settlement came three weeks ahead of the one-year anniversary of the shooting last year
After their mother was killed, the boys were handed over to Parvaiz's parents in Brooklyn, New York, although Noorani's family protested that they should not live with the family of an alleged killer.
His family responded that the Nooranis were on welfare and too poor to raise the children.
They eventually reached a settlement three weeks ago, in which guardianship was granted to two of Noorani's brothers and her sister-in-law, the Post reported.
The Parvaiz family will still get the boys on weekends and some holidays, their lawyers said.
'We are pleased that the children’s paternal grandparents were able to come to this realisation that it was in the best interests of the children to remain with their deceased mother’s family,' Freda Khan, the Noorani family lawyer, told the paper.
'It still remains a tragic situation and bittersweet victory for my clients.'
Accused: Stephen appears in court last year accused with shooting dead her boyfriend's wife
'Plan': Parvaiz, who was shot in the leg, had originally claimed they were targeted in a racist attack
Both Parvaiz and Stephen are being held for trial. They both face charges of murder, conspiracy and weapons offences for the August 16 shooting. Parvaiz also faces child-endangerment charges.
He appeared at his first court hearing last year in a wheelchair with bandages covering his shot leg.
Following the shooting, 911 calls were released.
'I just got shot and my wife got shot!' Parvaiz shouted into the phone. 'Can you send an ambulance? I just got shot in the leg!'
Nazish's family and friends have contended that Parvaiz was an abusive philanderer who flaunted his mistress in front of her - even referring to her as his fiancée - on a recent trip to Boston.
Stephen remains in jail on a $5 million bond at the Morris County Correctional Facility in Morristown, New Jersey, where Parvaiz is being held on a $3 million.
- Mariah too 'superstitious' to discuss pregnancy
- 'Glee' Star Dianna Agron Addresses The GQ Photo Shoot Controversy
- CHART: Yankees, Rangers Payroll Disparity Largest In Playoff History
- Who Wore Lanvin Better: Jennifer Lopez or Rihanna?
- Hot or Not: Rihanna's D&G Jumpsuit
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam )
- Death by Quadruple Bypass Burger: The Heart Attack Grill, in Chandler, Arizona
- Hart County
- Telfair County
- Program and Project Management
- Jennifer Lopez Responds To 'Idol' Rejection
- Usher on His Marriage: I Don't Regret Anything
- Jada Pinkett Smith reveals bulging biceps and body builder back
- Suge Knight total KO
- Pharrell Says 'Obama's Cooler Than Jay-Z' -- Say What!
- Gavin Rossdale Admits To Gay Fling With Singer Marilyn
- Kanye West keeps coy on Kim Kardashian dating rumors during Detroit radio interview
- WATCH: Blake Lively & Ryan Reynolds In Green Lantern Trailer
- Angolan Man Gets Title of 'Worlds Widest Mouth' in Guiness Book of World Records
- Trick or treat gone wrong: Dozens of headless animals found on residential street in horrific Halloween prank
- 'I'd had a sip or two': JetBlue attendant Steven Slater admits he'd had a drink before sliding down emergency shute
- Executed: Incest father who murdered his 15-year-old daughter's boyfriend in fit of jealous rage
- Scott Antique Market
- Lake Allatoona Information Source
- 9 Things Happy Couples Talk About
- Unicoi State Park and Lodge
- Deputy Gerald Cambridge accused of drunk driving in trooper crash
- Kari Lynn Bryan: Educator accused of having sex with special needs student
- What ticks you off on public transport? Here's the list of things you hate most
- Ga. man John S. Kristofak pleads guilty in death of estranged wife
- Bank teller Daniel Araujo accused of stealing $10K from elderly customer
- Rapper Chief Keef arrested in Dunwoody
- Police: Women use checks stolen during fatal shooting of Jerrick Jackson
- Recruit George Ward dies training to work at DeKalb County jail
- Decatur woman Angela Riley suffers brain injury in hit-and-run
- Plane Debris Falls on Georgia Woman's House, Walmart
- Tax preparer Thessia Carpenter charged with stealing $200K from state
- Michael Parson: Man who shot wife 8 times gets 35-year sentence
- Hall Co. teacher Tony Ray Wilson accused of exposing himself to co-worker
- Police: Stockbridge man John Wesley Morgan, Jr shoots, kills elderly father
- Athens groom Erick Lamar Stevens accused of punching new bride
- Fayetteville man Terry Davis charged in stabbing death of ex-girlfriend
- Islamic Center sign in Alpharetta vandalized
- Atlanta man Jon-Christopher Sowells arrested during BMW test drive
- Police: Car thief abandons stolen SUV with child inside
- Paulding County man Christopher Michael Smith accused of rape, arrested
- D'souza family accused of embezzling $2 million from dental practice
- Teen Enrique Vallues charged in Fayette County burglary
- Morehouse athlete Chukwudi Ndudikwa accused of rape submits DNA test
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|