Doctors baffled by mystery illness which causes Baltimore woman Shanyna Isom to grow fingernails instead of hair
A young woman has been labelled a medical mystery after falling victim to an unidentified illness which causes human nails to grow out of her hair follicles.
Shanyna Isom, 28, suffered an allergic reaction three years ago which caused the debilitating syndrome which has left her struggling to walk and carry out daily chores.
The university student was left covered in hard scabs as 'nails' replaced the hair on her body and doctors are still in the dark about how to cure Shanyna’s mysterious illness.
Pain: Cause not known: Doctors have no explanation as to why Shanyna had this reaction to the steroids
Condition: Instead of hair, human nails grow out of her hair follicles, but doctor's have yet to establish a cause
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Russian cosmonauts take Olympic torch on first historic spacewalk outside space station
- Sleeping man picture goes viral
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- First marathon runner crosses finish line
- Second extortion attempt on Hong Kong set of 'Transformers 4: Age of Extinction'
- Typhoon Haiyan wreaks havoc as death toll rises in Philippines
- Free swastika tattoos aim to 'reclaim' Nazi symbol's original Buddhist meaning of peace and love
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- Camel visits Columbus for Hump Day!
- Mike Tyson opens up about bankruptcy, how much sex he got in jail and how he told his ex-wife he had AIDS
- Typhoon slams Philippines; high death toll feared
- A model fan! Belgian teen lands L'Oreal contract after being photographed at World Cup game
- 400-meter asteroid sighted may 'blow up the earth' in 2032
- New face grown on woman's breast in China
- The Facebook photo of a high school basketball coach Laraine Cook being groped by her fiance that got her fired
- Dutch 'Black Pete' Christmas custom may be racist, warns UN
- Street sweeping parking tickets won't be issued Friday, Saturday
- Georgia Southern takes aim at new shooting sports center
- Medical crew killed in helicopter crash on way to pick up sick child
- Feds post food allergy guidelines for schools
- Thunderbolt shooting victims worked at downtown restaurant
- Negotiators report little progress in budget talks
- Squirrel invasion sweeping Georgia
- Sorry Charlie's facade inspection to take place Friday
- Military exercise conducted in Coastal Georgia and North Florida
- Slain LAX TSA officer remembered as a family man
- The scents of success? Meet the twin sisters who help control where you spend your money - all through the power of smell
- From glam to grubby: Haunting pictures offer stark look inside New York City strip clubs with the lights on
- Mother Shannon Dodson 'drowned son then set body on fire'
- The adjustable airline seats that widen according to your size (and how much you're willing to pay)
- GA police use tiny serial numbers to track goods
- Uighur women defy China's government by continuing to wear tiny Taipak hats
- Woman charged with shoplifting $2,000 in merchandise
- Mayor's office denies flag being displayed improperly
- Local businessmen gather for Hall of Fame induction
- 'Candy Crush' craze too much for some
- Robert Felix Gonzales charged with prostituting teen runaway on Craigslist in exchange for meth and cash
- Poll worker paid after miscommunication
- Paul McCartney writes to Putin asking to free Greenpeace protesters
- Business Insider boss Henry Blodget gets bathroom attendants fired
- Oprah Winfrey's father ordered to pay $70K to ex-wife after 'adultery with prostitute'
- SCMPD, FBI partner together to fight gang violence
- Kate's secret godmother of style: She brought the royal couple together at 17 and her stunning looks almost stole the show at George's christening. But these pictures reveal Emilia D'Erlanger's most vital role...
- Pipes used to smoke crystal meth sold at convenience stores
- Teen charged in shooting near Pittsburgh high school tied to drug-related fight
- 4 Marines killed in accident at California base
- Norman Bel Geddes exhibition's designs that shaped modern America
- I-Team: Smart holiday spending tips
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|