Doctors baffled by mystery illness which causes Baltimore woman Shanyna Isom to grow fingernails instead of hair
More from U.S. Headlines
- Santa urinating on Obama sign is not going down well – at all
- Getting raped while drunk is ‘a learning experience’, says author
- Car punges through the roof of a California home
- Amana Holley called a Barbie, doll and ‘too feminine’ to be a police officer
- TGI Friday’s mistletoe drone ‘crashes into woman’s face and cuts it open’
A young woman has been labelled a medical mystery after falling victim to an unidentified illness which causes human nails to grow out of her hair follicles.
Shanyna Isom, 28, suffered an allergic reaction three years ago which caused the debilitating syndrome which has left her struggling to walk and carry out daily chores.
The university student was left covered in hard scabs as 'nails' replaced the hair on her body and doctors are still in the dark about how to cure Shanyna’s mysterious illness.
Pain: Cause not known: Doctors have no explanation as to why Shanyna had this reaction to the steroids
Condition: Instead of hair, human nails grow out of her hair follicles, but doctor's have yet to establish a cause