Jarrod Wyatt Trial: Mixed-Martial Artist Who Ripped Heart, Tongue Out of Friend Pleads Guilty
A northern California man accused of ripping out the heart and tongue of a friend after the two had taken hallucinogenic drugs has pleaded guilty to murder, four days before his case was set to go to trial.
Jarrod Wyatt, 29, of Crescent City, Calif. accepted a plea deal in which he will serve a 50-years-to-life prison sentence in the March 2010 death of his sparring partner, 21-year-old Taylor Powell, Del Norte County prosecutors told The Associated Press.
"The earliest he'll be able to see a parole board is 2062," District Attorney Jon Alexander told the AP. "We saved Taylor's family the agony from reliving the incident at the trial."
Police officers discovered Wyatt naked and covered in blood head-to-toe when they arrived at a house in Requa, Calif., in March 2010.
Wyatt, a mixed-martial artist, reportedly told the officers, "I killed him." He had cut out Powell's heart and tongue, according to court documents.
Powell's body was found by officers on the couch. His chest had been cut open, while his heart, tongue and the skin of his face was removed. Court documents say that Powell's heart and tongue had been removed while he was still alive.
The two had ingested hallucinogenic mushrooms before Wyatt attacked and killed Powell, according to witnesses. While intoxicated, the two believed that they were involved in a struggle between God and the devil. Powell's heart was discovered by police charred in a wood-burning stove, Dr. Neil Kushner, who performed the autopsy, told The Times Standard.
Previously Wyatt entered pleas of not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity. After he was evaluated by psychiatrists, a judge ruled him competent to stand trial, the AP reported.
On Thursday night, Alexander and Wyatt's attorney, James Fallman, reached a deal in which Wyatt pleaded guilty to first-degree murder involving mayhem. Fallman said that Wyatt didn't want to testify at trial and he didn't want his family to testify.
"We looked for an agreement that would at least give him the opportunity to be paroled someday," Fallman told the AP. "As bad as 50 years to life sounds, it's better than life without the possibility of parole."
Wyatt is scheduled to be officially sentenced Oct. 4.
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- A model fan! Belgian teen lands L'Oreal contract after being photographed at World Cup game
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Sleeping man picture goes viral
- First marathon runner crosses finish line
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- Russian cosmonauts take Olympic torch on first historic spacewalk outside space station
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- Mike Tyson opens up about bankruptcy, how much sex he got in jail and how he told his ex-wife he had AIDS
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- The 12 major travel destinations you can skip
- Feds post food allergy guidelines for schools
- The adjustable airline seats that widen according to your size (and how much you're willing to pay)
- Second extortion attempt on Hong Kong set of 'Transformers 4: Age of Extinction'
- Slain LAX TSA officer remembered as a family man
- Camel visits Columbus for Hump Day!
- Georgia Southern takes aim at new shooting sports center
- It's Bob Baaa-ley! Marley the sheep sports amazing dreadlocks (and her trainer can't keep him off the grass)
- Free swastika tattoos aim to 'reclaim' Nazi symbol's original Buddhist meaning of peace and love
- Mother Shannon Dodson 'drowned son then set body on fire'
- Be There: Motivating high school students to continue their education
- King Edward VIII dropped F-bomb at having to miss rendezvous with lover
- Virus holds computer files ransom
- Is organic food really better?
- Typhoon Haiyan wreaks havoc as death toll rises in Philippines
- Sorry Charlie's facade inspection to take place Friday
- GA police use tiny serial numbers to track goods
- 400-meter asteroid sighted may 'blow up the earth' in 2032
- Medical crew killed in helicopter crash on way to pick up sick child
- Squirrel invasion sweeping Georgia
- The Facebook photo of a high school basketball coach Laraine Cook being groped by her fiance that got her fired
- Georgia company expands recall of pet treats
- Robert Felix Gonzales charged with prostituting teen runaway on Craigslist in exchange for meth and cash
- Typhoon slams Philippines; high death toll feared
- Negotiators report little progress in budget talks
- Residents near Ga. base warned of weapons training
- 9th annual Wounded Warrior & Wheelchair Hunt
- Christmas comes early in Columbus with The Landings parade.
- Dutch 'Black Pete' Christmas custom may be racist, warns UN
- AU safety experts urge community to watch out for date rape drugs
- SCAD students recreate Cinderella's Carriage
- Richmond County's handicap parking enforcement lags behind Columbia County
- The scents of success? Meet the twin sisters who help control where you spend your money - all through the power of smell
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|