Glenda Moore: Mother whose boys were swept out of her arms was left screaming on street for 12 hours
Police searching for two young brothers who were ripped from their mother's arms during Superstorm Sandy have found their bodies.
The remains of Brandon, two, and Connor Moore, four, were discovered only yards from where they went missing in Staten Island, New York.
The boys' mother Glenda Moore, 39, is said to have spent 12 hours screaming in the street after they were swept away, but residents would not help her look for them.
Glenda Moore, and her husband, Damian Moore, react as they approach the scene where at least one of their childrens' bodies were discovered in Staten Island, New York, Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012.
Tragedy: Glenda Moore (centre) with her husband Damien on their wedding day in 2009
The boys were sucked away by floodwater after Mrs Moore's car stalled and became stuck just before 6pm on Monday near the 400-block of Fr. Capodanno Boulevard in South Beach.
Mrs Moore, a nurse, tried to hold on to them but was overpowered by the force of the storm.
Police found the young brothers about 30 yards off the corner of McLaughlin Street and Father Capodanno Boulevard.
'Terrible, absolutely terrible,' police commissioner Ray Kelly said. 'It just compounds all the tragic aspects of this horrific event.'
The boys were reported missing in the aftermath of Sandy, which hit the borough hard with flooding
The boys were about 20 yards apart from each other, under water, buried by trees and debris, law enforcement sources told the New York Post.
After the storm cleared on Tuesday morning, officers, dogs and other searchers - armed with shovels, sticks and pitchforks - had been scouring those marshlands off Father Capodanno.
A team of scuba divers were also there to search the marshy area.
At 10:15am today, police in wetsuits found Brandon waist-deep in water. His brother was found close by shortly after.
After the boys disappeared, Mrs Moore knocked on a nearby door for help but was told: 'I don't know you. I'm not going to help you.'
Mrs Moore then tried another neighbor near her Staten Island home, but when she rang the bell they turned off the lights and refused to answer.
About 20 police officers from the NYPD Scuba Unit fanned out across a Staten Island marsh on Father Capodanno Boulevard in search of the boys
As the storm raged around her, the nurse took shelter in a doorstep, screaming and staring at the waters which had just snatched away her children.
Twelve hours later, at dawn when the weather calmed down, she found the strength to walk down the street and flag down a passing police car to raise the alarm.
Her cousin Nancy Jean, 41, fought back tears as she described the ordeal.
'I can’t believe the way she was treated by the people she went to for help,' she said.
'The first person she knocked on, she begged them and said: "Please call 911".
'They told her: "I don't know you" and closed the door. She tried another door but they turned the lights off.
‘I can’t imagine what she was thinking then. She sat down for 12 hours and was just screaming. She was out of it. When it got to morning she went and found a police car and told him what happened.’
Mrs Moore’s aunt, who declined to give her name, also told the New York Daily News: ‘They answered the door and said, "I don't know you. I'm not going to help you".
The mother told police that as the water started to rise, her car stalled and she got out of the car clutching the two-year-old son in her arms and her four-year-old son by the hand before they were washed away
‘My sister's like 5ft 3in, 130 pounds. She looks like a little girl. She's going to come to you and you're going to slam the door in her face and say, "I don't know you, I can't help you"?'
The aunt also said Mrs Moore told her she was knocked into the freezing waters herself by the power of the storm.
‘She was holding on to them, and the waves just kept coming and crashing and they were under.
‘It went over their heads… She had them in her arms, and a wave came and swept them out of her arms.
‘She [Mrs Moore] said she got shoved, and then the wave just took the car and flipped it over. She was knocked down.’
The aftermath of Sandy in Southshore, Staten Island. The area was severely damaged by strong winds and flood coming from the ocean
Battered yachts in Southshore, Staten Island. Authorities have found the bodies of both boys
Tragedy struck on Monday as Mrs Moore was trying to flee her home to get to Brooklyn where her mother Maria Lemaire, 64, lives.
As her Ford Explorer stalled on the Father Capodanno Boulevard in South Beach, she got out of the vehicle and freed both boys from their seat belts.
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- Sex-for-drinks scandal called "mamading" rocks Mallorca bars
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- Georgia Governor Nathan Deal finally takes responsibility for winter weather chaos
- Colorado's 9NEWS anchor Kyle Clark News rants at viewers' patio snow pictures
- Former college footballer shot dead by robber who demanded he hand over Dr Dre headphones
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Lake Charles pastor shot to death during church service
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Terrifying moment woman bungee jumps off a bridge without a harness
- A model fan! Belgian teen lands L'Oreal contract after being photographed at World Cup game
- California high school asked to abandon 'offensive' Arab mascot
- Subpoenas related to Ga. gov's ethics complaints
- From anti-gravity fist fights to dressing up as a woman: Chris Hadfield reveals the bizarre life of an astronaut living on the International Space Station
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Oscar Pistorius shooting: Inside Blade Runner's bedroom - cricket bat, baseball bat, revolver and machine gun
- SRS waste worries Gov. Haley
- 'Gray Thursday' begins as bargain hunters pile into Kmart on Thanksgiving
- It's Fight Friday! The busiest shopping day of the year has begun with chaotic scenes throughout the country and fights breaking out at numerous Walmart stores over discounted electrical goods
- Black Friday: One man is STABBED in row over parking space and 'shoplifter' is SHOT by police
- Two Black Friday shoppers arrested in Virginia after man, 35, is 'sliced to the bone' in a dispute over a Walmart parking spot
- So this is how America now spends its Thanksgiving! Shopping madness starts even earlier as critics say retailers have gone too far
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Greenpeace's Rainbow Warrior ship blocks removal of Costa Concordia from Giglio
- Serena Williams tops Victoria Azarenka to win U.S. Open title
- 'He started following me - and so did his WIFE': TV presenter reveals how she was stalked for eight years by crazed couple
- Ravel Dixon: Single mother, 22, charged with killing millionaire who was tied up and brutally murdered in his mansion
- Man killed in upscale New Jersey mall parking lot sacrificed himself to protect his wife from armed carjackers, source says
- Deputies: Guyton man had sex on video with underage boy and dog
- Neymar takes selfie with girlfriend Gabriella Lenzi after Brazil World Cup win
- Video released of purse thieves at Dillards
- David Nabhan can 'predict earthquakes' and says next one in US will be on July 12
- Relatives insist beloved lawyer would NOT have tried to stop carjackers who shot him dead
- Little House On The Prairie actor Richard Bull dies at 89
- Russian school bullies force girl, 13, to drink puddle water 'for being too pretty'
- Indian minister: 'Women should not wear bikinis on the beach in Goa'
- 13-year-old forced into prostitution, nude dancing at South Beach strip club
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Co-workers Michelle Chinnis, Tracy Downer killed in horrific tractor-trailer wreck
- Known gang members among thousands of illegal immigrant children storming the U.S. border and government is now trying to silence officers from talking to the media
- Woman tasered by police for trying to buy too many iPhones
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|