PICTURED: The assistant Melissa Nelson fired by dentist because she was 'irresistably attractive' and 'threat to his marriage'
An Iowa dentist acted legally in firing a long-time assistant because he - and his wife - viewed the married mother as a threat to their marriage, the all-male Iowa Supreme Court ruled Friday.
The court ruled 7-0 bosses can sack employees they see as an 'irresistible attraction,' even if they have not engaged in flirtatious behavior or otherwise done anything wrong.
Appearing on CNN Friday night, assistant Melissa Nelson said the decision was deeply unfair.
Hello ladies: Despite Nelson being 21 years younger than him, married, and 'not interested in a relationship,' Knight believed it would be too hard not to start an affair with her
'I don't think this is fair,' she said from her Iowa home by phone. 'I don't think this is right.'
Such firings may be unfair, but they are not unlawful discrimination under the Iowa Civil Rights Act because they are motivated by feelings and emotions, and not gender, Justice Edward Mansfield wrote.
An attorney for Fort Dodge dentist James Knight said the decision, the first of its kind in Iowa, is a victory for family values because Knight fired Nelson in the interest of saving his marriage, not because she was a woman.
But Nelson's attorney said Iowa's all-male high court, one of only a handful in the nation, failed to recognize the discrimination women see routinely in the workplace.
Nelson insisted she was never interested in Knight romantically, regardless of his own feelings.
'Absolutely not,' she said. 'I'm happily married.'
While her former boss claimed her clothes were so tight he couldn't look at her without being aroused, Nelson said the only outfit she wore to work was standard scrubs worn by many nurses and assistants in dental offices.
Asked if she saw herself as irresistibly attractive, Nelson laughed at the question.
'I'm just an ordinary girl,' she said. 'Just an ordinary mom.'
Also appearing via call-in, her attorney, Paige Fiedler, said it was unlikely they would seek an appeal because of the way the case was filed as only interpreting state law.
'These judges sent a message to Iowa women that they don't think men can be held responsible for their sexual desires and that Iowa women are the ones who have to monitor and control their bosses' sexual desires,' Fielder said. 'If they get out of hand, then the women can be legally fired for it.'
Nelson, 32, worked for Knight for 10 years, and he considered her a stellar worker. But in the final months of her employment, he complained that her tight clothing was distracting, once telling her that if his pants were bulging that was a sign her clothes were too revealing, according to the opinion.
He also once allegedly remarked about her infrequent sex life by saying, 'that's like having a Lamborghini in the garage and never driving it.'
Knight and Nelson — both married with children — started exchanging text messages, mostly about personal matters, such as their families. Knight's wife, who also worked in the dental office, found out about the messages and demanded Nelson be fired. The Knights consulted with their pastor, who agreed that terminating Nelson was appropriate.
Knight fired Nelson and gave her one month's severance. He later told Nelson's husband he worried he was getting too personally attached and feared he would eventually try to start an affair with her.
Family man: Knight's wife, who also works in the dental office, demanded Nelson be fired when she discovered text messages
Ordinary mom: Nelson has been working as a waitress since she lost her dental job and is unsure of her future career path
Nelson was stunned because she viewed the 53-year-old Knight as a father figure and had never been interested in starting a relationship, Fiedler said.
Nelson filed a lawsuit alleging gender discrimination, arguing she would not have been terminated if she was male. She did not allege sexual harassment because Knight's conduct may not have risen to that level and didn't particularly offend her, Fiedler said.
Knight argued Nelson was fired not because of her gender, but because her continued employment threatened his marriage. A district judge agreed, dismissing the case before trial, and the high court upheld that ruling.
Mansfield noted that Knight had an all-female workforce and Nelson was replaced by a woman.
He said the decision was in line with state and federal court rulings that found workers can be fired for relationships that cause jealousy and tension within a business owner's family. One such case from the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a business owner's firing of a valued employee who was seen by his wife as a threat to their marriage. In that case, the fired employee had engaged in flirtatious conduct.
Jurisprudence: Justice Edward Mansfield penned the Iowa Supreme Court's decision on Knight's dismissal of Melissa Nelson
Mansfield said allowing Nelson's lawsuit would stretch the definition of discrimination to allow anyone fired over a relationship to file a claim arguing they would not have been fired but for their gender.
Knight's attorney, Stuart Cochrane, said the court got it right. The decision clarified that bosses can make decisions showing favoritism to a family member without committing discrimination; in this case, by allowing Knight to honor his wife's wishes to fire Nelson, he said.
Knight is a very religious and moral individual, and he sincerely believed that firing Nelson would be best for all parties, he said.
'While there was really no fault on the part of Mrs. Nelson, it was just as clear the decision to terminate her was not related to the fact that she was a woman,' he said. 'The motives behind Dr. Knight terminating Mrs. Nelson were quite clear: He did so to preserve his marriage.
'I don't view this as a decision that was either pro-women or opposed to women rights at all. In my view, this was a decision that followed the appropriate case law.'
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- The great celebrity shoe's who: Yes, those vertiginous YSL heels are Kate Winslet's. But, as stars donate their favourite pairs to charity, can you match the other celebrities to their footwear?
- Neymar takes selfie with girlfriend Gabriella Lenzi after Brazil World Cup win
- Breaking Amish's Kate Stoltz, 23, continues with her racy lingerie modeling career
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Gloom with a view: Abandoned German hotel that once allowed only the finest people to enter but is now home to bugs and cockroaches
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- Deputies: Guyton man had sex on video with underage boy and dog
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Miley Cyrus tweets x-rated Halloween pics
- 'He started following me - and so did his WIFE': TV presenter reveals how she was stalked for eight years by crazed couple
- Meet the seven women of Bravo's 'Ladies of London' whose drinking, cat fighting, royal name dropping and even labor scenes are coming to TV
- 13-year-old forced into prostitution, nude dancing at South Beach strip club
- 'My mom called me porky and my dad got me drunk and told me I was more than just his daughter': Explosive claims of 'spoiled' cheerleader, 18, suing parents to support her after she ran away
- Oprah Winfrey's father ordered to pay $70K to ex-wife after 'adultery with prostitute'
- Beaten, starved, gang-raped and 'forced to give birth': Nigel Brennan and Amanda Lindhout's horrific ordeal as hostages in Somalia
- Russian factory workers filmed bathing NAKED in milk used to make cheese
- Just what happened on flight UA201 before it was forced into emergency landing?
- Brazilians blowing up over 2014 FIFA World Cup song
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Atlanta Man Torico Jackson indicted in 7-year-old murder case
- Kylie Jenner and Scott get the finger from rude model
- Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist Persephanie Lesperance arrested in heroin bust
- New reality show Little Women LA hit by legal trouble before premiere
- Miley Cyrus offered $1million to work on porn movie
- Porn actress Amanda Logue pleads guilty in sex-party killing
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab at Mall at West End
- Miss Colorado Teen Runner-Up Kristy Althaus 'stripped of title' after it emerges she starred in porn film
- Australian Jodie Rose who married Le Pont du Diable BRIDGE celebrates 1st anniversary
- Florida mom shot dead her two children in their beds as they lay sleeping, only to have the children's father discover the grisly scene, newly released autopsy report reveals
- Police: Waffle House employee Quintavius Martin shoots, kills customer
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Renisha McBride was twice legal limit when she was shot dead
- A Ferrari, TWO Bentleys and a $1.4MILLION apartment: Race-row NBA owner Donald Sterling's lavish gifts to girlfriend he argued with on racist recording, as revealed by his wife of 50 years' lawsuit
- Incredible images capture the Ethiopian Suri tribe whose girls have lip plates implanted at puberty as a sign of beauty
- City workers continuing to fail random alcohol tests
- Fisher-Price under fire to withdraw baby bouncy seat with iPad holder
- Abercrombie & Fitch finally says sorry for fat comments
- Serena Williams tops Victoria Azarenka to win U.S. Open title
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|