Louisiana town bans Baggy pants
The Parish Council overwhelmingly passed an ordinance last week that will impose fines for anyone who wear trousers below the waist that exposes their underwear.
First time offenders will be fined $50. If you are caught with low hanging trousers twice, the fine is doubled, and if you are cited a third time, you are fined $100 and ordered to do 16 hours of community services.
"Appearing in public view while exposing one's skin or undergarments below the waist is contrary to safety, health, peace and good order of the parish and the general welfare," according to the ordinance.
John Navy, a parish councilman introduced the measure, told Fox news: "I've seen extreme measures where they're actually holding their pants almost by their knees, holding it up and you see undergarments and other things.
"Why would you say that's OK?"
He said he had received complaints from church and neighbourhood watch groups.
Jerome Boykin, president of the Terrebonne NAACP, expressed support for the law at a public hearing before the vote.
"There is nothing positive about people wearing saggy pants," he said. "This is not a black issue, this is not a white issue, this is a people issue."
The ordinance will now pass to the town president, who will sign it into law if he supports it.
In 2011, saggy trousers were banned on some buses in the state of Texas.
The look, which has been around for more than a decade, traces its roots to prison attire. It spread to the rap and hip-hop music community.
U.S News & HeadlinesGet the latest U.S. news headlines from Georgia Newsday!. Find breaking U.S. news, including expert analysis, commentaries and opinions on top U.S. stories.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Oregon woman Joan Zuber has hand and part of arm amputated after it was caught in the hood of her truck
- Folding Manhattan studio apartment that turns into a four-bedroom unit
- Levi's and GAP are losing profits to yogas pants brand Lululemon
- Jealous woman Giselle Esteban jailed for 25 years after murdering her best friend 'in cold blood' over love rival
- lagos nigeria 23401 ( Nigerian Dating Scam ) 382
- Pastor Samuel Chapman jailed on child sex charges 79
- Asst. Principal’s Son Chandler Brookins Accused Of Rape In School Bathroom 70
- McDonald's Manager Tiffany Allen Accused Of Punching Customer 68
- Mother Of 5 Wazineh Suleiman Missing After Going To Rent Movie 31