Amanda Berry: Woman Held Captive For 10-Years Had Child
A child found in Cleveland with the three women who had been missing for a decade is the daughter of one of the women, police said.
The women, who vanished in separate cases near their homes in Cleveland, were found Monday only miles from where they disappeared, and three brothers have been arrested in connection to the incident, according to police.
Gina DeJesus, Amanda Berry, 27, and Michele Knight, 32, were released from Metro Health Medical Center this morning, a hospital spokeswoman said in a statement.
"I've been kidnapped, and I've been missing for 10 years," Berry told a 911 operator after breaking free. "And I'm here. I'm free now."
The child was also carried out of the home but the child's identity or age has not been released by police. The child is Berry's daughter, according to ABC News affiliate WEWS-TV, quoting police.
Police confirmed to WEWS that one of the men taken into custody is 52-year-old Ariel Castro. WEWS also reports a background check shows he owns the home where the three women were living.
Authorities believe Castro, who was once a city school bus driver, was keeping the women locked inside his modest two-story home, which he has owned since 1992, ABC News has learned.
Police have not identified his brothers, who are ages 50 and 54, according to authorities. Chargers could come as early as today.
Berry identified Ariel Castro by name in her 911 call.
"Um, his name is Ariel Castro," Berry said. "He's like 52."
The dispatcher pressed for more information, including what he was wearing
"I don't know, because he's not here right now. That's why I ran away," Berry said.
Neighbors said they heard cries for help coming from a house on Seymour Avenue around 6 p.m., and when they went to investigate, kicked open the door of the home to get the women out.
Neighbor Charles Ramsey said that he was eating at McDonald's when he heard a girl screaming and begging for help.
"I look and I see this girl and she's just going nuts on the door so, I'm like, 'What's your problem? If you're stuck, just open the door.' She said 'I can't, you got it locked,'" he said.
Ramsey said that their attempt to pry the door open failed, so he and his neighbor kicked open the bottom.
"Luckily … it was aluminum, it was cheap," he said, "And she climbed out with her daughter. ... She went to my house, we called 911."
Berry came out of the home, carrying a child in her arms, which Ramsey identified as her daughter. Berry immediately called 911, asking police for help.
"Hello police help me I'm Amanda Berry," she said in the call. "I've been kidnapped and I've been missing for 10 years and I'm here. I'm free now. ... I've been in the news for the last 10 years ... with Gina."
Berry told arriving police officers that there were more women inside the home. Police, with their guns drawn, entered the house and returned with DeJesus and Knight.
Ramsey said the women looked malnourished when they came out of the house.
"They look like they haven't been fed in a long time … They were skinny when they came out of that house," he said. The victims are being examined for possible abuse at the hospital, law enforcement sources told ABC News.
Ramsey said he'd barbecued with the home's owner and never suspected something was amiss.
"There was nothing exciting about him — well, until today," he said.
Ramsey said that he was shocked when police told them whom he had rescued.
"He said, 'Do you know who you just rescued out of the house?' I said brother, 'a couple of females.' He said no, no, no. 'You got Amanda and you got Gina,'" Ramsey said.
This saga began as three separate cases starting Aug. 23, 2002, when Knight, then in her 20s, was last seen leaving her cousin's house.
Berry disappeared at age 16 April 21, 2003, the day before her 17th birthday. She had called her sister to say she was getting a ride home from her job at a Burger King, The Associated Press reported.
Finally, on April 2, 2004, DeJesus, who was 14 at the time, disappeared on her way home from school.
The cases have consumed the Cleveland community for years and gained national attention and were profiled on "The Montel Williams Show" and "The Oprah Winfrey Show." The missing persons posters have been a part of the community for a decade by families who refused to give up.
Overnight, countless family members, friends and even elated strangers cheered outside of Metro Medical Center where the three women are recovering.
One person who could not make it was Berry's mother, Louwanna Miller.
Zayda Delgado, a neighbor, told ABC News Miller died in 2006.
"I feel bad because the mother died never knowing that her daughter was still alive," she said.
A police news conference is scheduled for later this morning.
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- Sex-for-drinks scandal called "mamading" rocks Mallorca bars
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- 11-year-old boy beaten by grandmother and mother who then POST VIDEO of abuse on Facebook
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Georgia Governor Nathan Deal finally takes responsibility for winter weather chaos
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- David Nabhan can 'predict earthquakes' and says next one in US will be on July 12
- A model fan! Belgian teen lands L'Oreal contract after being photographed at World Cup game
- California high school asked to abandon 'offensive' Arab mascot
- Neymar takes selfie with girlfriend Gabriella Lenzi after Brazil World Cup win
- 'He started following me - and so did his WIFE': TV presenter reveals how she was stalked for eight years by crazed couple
- Colorado's 9NEWS anchor Kyle Clark News rants at viewers' patio snow pictures
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Man killed in upscale New Jersey mall parking lot sacrificed himself to protect his wife from armed carjackers, source says
- Terrifying moment woman bungee jumps off a bridge without a harness
- It's Fight Friday! The busiest shopping day of the year has begun with chaotic scenes throughout the country and fights breaking out at numerous Walmart stores over discounted electrical goods
- Former college footballer shot dead by robber who demanded he hand over Dr Dre headphones
- Scarlett Johansson speaks out over Woody Allen abuse claims ...as she labels Dylan Farrow's open letter 'irresponsible'
- Black Friday: One man is STABBED in row over parking space and 'shoplifter' is SHOT by police
- Two Black Friday shoppers arrested in Virginia after man, 35, is 'sliced to the bone' in a dispute over a Walmart parking spot
- Subpoenas related to Ga. gov's ethics complaints
- Deputies: Guyton man had sex on video with underage boy and dog
- So this is how America now spends its Thanksgiving! Shopping madness starts even earlier as critics say retailers have gone too far
- UPDATE: Recorder's Court judge orders Michael Johnson held without bond in Steve Toms' death
- Lake Charles pastor shot to death during church service
- SRS waste worries Gov. Haley
- Serena Williams tops Victoria Azarenka to win U.S. Open title
- 'Gray Thursday' begins as bargain hunters pile into Kmart on Thanksgiving
- Newton High School basketball coach James Carter accused of sexting student
- Indian minister: 'Women should not wear bikinis on the beach in Goa'
- Chris Brown reveals new tattoo of a 'beaten woman'... but denies it's his ex Rihanna
- Ravel Dixon: Single mother, 22, charged with killing millionaire who was tied up and brutally murdered in his mansion
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- 13-year-old forced into prostitution, nude dancing at South Beach strip club
- From anti-gravity fist fights to dressing up as a woman: Chris Hadfield reveals the bizarre life of an astronaut living on the International Space Station
- Married female judge Joy Oldfield and public defender caught in semi-naked lesbian tryst in back of SUV
- Relatives insist beloved lawyer would NOT have tried to stop carjackers who shot him dead
- Oscar Pistorius shooting: Inside Blade Runner's bedroom - cricket bat, baseball bat, revolver and machine gun
- Video released of purse thieves at Dillards
- Greenpeace's Rainbow Warrior ship blocks removal of Costa Concordia from Giglio
- New details of overdose episode at Thomas' NY home
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|