Florida woman Rashia Wilson who boasted she was the 'Queen of IRS tax fraud' on Facebook gets 21 years
A mother of three, who taunted authorities to catch her as she stole about $20 million from the IRS, has been jailed for 21 years.
Rashia Wilson, who pleaded guilty to wire fraud and aggravated identity theft earlier this year, admitted to stealing more than $3 million but the figure is believed to be much higher.
Tampa police were first alerted to the fraud in 2010 when they noticed a drop in drug dealing in the area.
As Wilson, who became known as the 'First Lady of tax fraud' was sentenced on Tuesday, she was denied the chance to hug her three children, aged between 2 and 12, good-bye, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
'She knew what she was doing was wrong. She reveled in the fact that it was wrong,' U.S. District Judge James. S. Moody Jr. said.
The 27-year-old, who also pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm, had boasted on Facebook that she was untouchable.
'I'm Rashia, the queen of IRS tax fraud,' the post stated. 'I'm a millionaire for the record, so if U think indicting me will B easy it won't, I promise you! U need more than black and white to hold me down N that's to da rat who went N told, as if 1st lady don't have da TPD under her spell. I run Tampa right now.'
A psychologist brought in to testify for the defense argued the Facebook post was a sign of Wilson's bi-polar disorder, which made her liable to brag.
Lavish: Wilson, who lived in a large house, spent the money on designer handbags, big screen TVs and cars
Pay back: Wilson's $90,000 Audi A8 is towed from her Florida home
Valerie McClain told the court that 'adolescent bragging' in Facebook posts is consistent with manic-phase behavior. Wilson had bi-polar diagnosed when she was 14.
Wilson's fraud was discovered during a two-year investigation called 'Operation Rain Maker', named in reference to all the money raining down on the suspects' mail boxes, according to ABC News.
The multi-agency investigation included Tampa Police Department, IRS-Criminal Investigations, the Secret Service, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service and the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.
Those involved in the tax fraud operation used stolen Social Security numbers to file returns, according to the Global Dispatch.
The scam meant that ordinary taxpayers had to wait for up to a year to receive their refunds.
Sentenced: Rashia Wilson, who has been jailed for 21 years, has been in trouble with the police before
Previous convictions: The 27-year-old has been booked on several occasions by Florida police since 2004
Arrest record: Wilson has been arrested previously for grand theft auto, robbery, battery and affray
Wilson, whose mother was addicted to cocaine when she was born, and whose father was in prison while she was growing up, came from a life of poverty to extreme wealth.
Although she still claimed food stamps during her fraud, she used the ill-gotten gains to fund a lavish lifestyle which included spending $30,000 on her son's first birthday, buying a $90,000 Audi and designer handbags and sunglasses.
Wilson also had a custom-designed necklace, spelling out her name in jewels, made for her, according to Fox News.
As well as finding designer goods at her home in Wimauma, police said the number of security cameras around the property had raised suspicions.
Wilson has been ordered to $3.1 million in restitution.
The amount reflects the estimated loss to the government at the time of her plea. The investigation later found the figure to be higher but the judge agreed to honor the plea agreement.
She will owe the restitution with co-defendant Maurice Larry, who has sentencing hearings due in August and September.
Scam: The investigation was named Operation Rain Maker because of the money raining down on suspects' mail boxes
At the time of the investigation, 13 people were arrested for charges including identity theft, scheming to defraud and fraudulent use of credit cards.
Tampa police major Ken Morman told ABC last year that a decline in drug dealing suggested criminals had found a more lucrative business.
He said the suspects would use hotel rooms and rented houses to train recruits about how to commit the fraud.
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Pro-Russian looters pulled Tesco binoculars from British MH17 victim's suitcase - but threw them back because they were broken
- Beyonce recreates iconic Rosie the Riveter feminist poster in new photo shoot
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- John Thomas wins Muscogee County School Board District 2 seat
- Facebook selfie helps police identify fraud suspect as Tanya Peel
- New York teen arrested after 'killing brother, 15, and brutally beating respected doctor mother into a coma'
- Rory McIlroy unveils new lover Sasha Gale during date to celebrate Open victory
- Cops: Employee Airieal Wright stole $71,000 from Atlanta court
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- NJ man Anthony Novellino guilty of murdering 'messy' ex-wife found wearing pig mask
- Is this Russian seperatist rebel stealing MH17 victim's ring?
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
- Mars heiress worth $20.5billion charged with reckless driving over fatal head-on crash with minivan which killed grandmother, 86
- Pregnant woman, 27, arrested 'after posting a selfie on Facebook wearing a stolen dress'
- Man buys $27 of bitcoin, now he's a millionaire
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Scraps from the table put your dog in danger: Animals' digestive system is not equipped to handle same foods as humans
- Wrong-way drunk driver dies in crash that killed two women
- Can't sleep in the heat? Put your sheets in the fridge and whatever you do, DON'T sleep naked!
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- Man 'has sex with dog on camera'
- Outrage over Georgia deputy sheriff Chad Palmer who dressed in blackface as an inmate 'picking cotton' for Halloween party
- Son of Romania's 'King of the Gipsies' set to marry fiancée
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Parents who lost three children on MH17 flight tell of agony
- Bad Santas! The police mugshots with an uncanny resemblance to Santa Claus
- Police release pictures of clothes girl, 15, was wearing when she went missing before mysteriously reappearing nine months later
- Suspect flees in car of woman shot, killed in Smyrna
- Snapchat reveals geofilters that can only be unlocked in the right place
- Tiffany Six: Porn star teacher loses appeal to return to the classroom
- Justin Bieber makes it rain cash at strip club
- British lawyer killed on MH17 along with his wife and three sons: Final UK victims named as John Allen and Andrew Hoare
- Inmate Amy Hightower Re-Arrested After Escaping Hospital
- Women: DeKalb officer Jeremy Reynolds asked for sexual favors to avoid jail
- The sad final journey home: Bodies of MH17 victims are loaded on to transport plane at Ukraine airport as they begin trip to the Netherlands for painstaking identification process
- Simon Cowell trolled over donation to Israeli soldiers' organisation
- Ouch! Woman impales herself on 5ft iron fence as she tries to escape from cemetery attacker
- Captain America drops action-heavy first trailer
- Fears Americans died in MH71 crash: State department investigates agency report 23 US citizens were aboard flight shot down over Ukraine
- Man dies at the beach after being BURIED ALIVE by sand tunnel he was digging
- Man sees doctor about cramp, turns out he's a woman with period pain
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|