Suspect James David Clarke Confessed to Killing Missing Mother
More from U.S. Headlines
- American Airlines manager Ray Howland accused of trying to meet mom, 10-year-old daughter for sex
- Florida grandmother Nilda Sheffield 'shot and killed her daughter and grandchildren'
- Don’t try and walk out of this restaurant without paying
- SpaceX rocket explodes shortly after lift off
- New York Prison Escapee Richard Matt has been shot dead
HOUSTON - During a Monday morning probable cause hearing, prosecutors learned a murder suspect allegedly confessed to an ex-girlfriend and another woman that he shot Amber Chantel Elkins in the head and placed her body in a duffel bag. Elkins was last seen July 24 by relatives.
James David Clarke, 31, has been charged with murder. The bond amount for Clarke was increased from $200,000 to $250,000 because he poses a flight risk and has a lengthy criminal record. Clarke was Elkins' boyfriend.
A body believed to be that of missing mother Elkins was found Sunday afternoon in Montgomery County. A judge ordered the body to be taken to the Montgomery County Forensic Center for an autopsy to confirm the identity.
Montgomery County Sheriff's Office staff and the Texas Rangers helped Harris County Sheriff's deputies during the murder investigation.
A team of volunteers from Texas EquuSearch found the body off Gene Campbell Road near New Caney.
The discovery of the body was made just hours before a candlelight vigil was held for Elkins at a VFW post in north Houston.