Science teacher Nadia Christine Diaz, 26, 'had sex with student, 14'
More from U.S. Headlines
- Florida woman Michelle Sandford asks policeman if she can bring her weed in the police car
- Dramatic video: Officer breaks window, saves 25-year-old woman passed out on freeway
- Pennsylvania lawyer Kimberly Kitchen ‘worked for 10 years and was made partner despite having NO legal training’
- Business leaders and celebs speak out against Indiana law
- This man might be the dumbest criminal ever
A science teacher has been arrested on suspicion of having sex with one of her 14-year-old students.
Nadia Christine Diaz, from California, is alleged to have slept with the teen on two occasions while she was working as a substitute teacher.
She faces charges of sex with a minor and oral copulation.
The 26-year-old was later hired as a full-time science teacher at Washington Union High School in Fresno, California.
Police said Diaz, who has recently married, had sex with the teen in January and February 2009. The student was 14-years-old at the time and it took place off school property.
Authorities refused to say how they discovered the alleged illegal activity.
But Diaz's lawyer Rick Berman insists she is the victim of malicious rumours.
He said: 'Nadia was arrested based on some rumours that the school district heard.'
District officials met with teachers at Washington Union to inform them of the situation and how to deal with questions from students.
Three additional counsellors were also on campus to support students.
Aaron Dennis had Diaz as a summer school teacher.
He said word of her arrest was the talk of the school.
'Everybody's just going around trying to figure out who it was and nobody knows,' he said.
The student said to have had sex with Diaz is now a senior at the school.
Detectives say they have interviewed the victim and believe he is telling the truth.