Poster boy for missing children Adam Croote, is jailed for raping and choking 10-year-old girl
A man who had such a horrible childhood that he was invited to the White House as a symbol of young victims will now go to prison for trying to kill a 10-year-old girl.
Adam Croote, 23, of Albany, New York, was sentenced on Friday to at least 25 years behind bars for raping and choking the girl he had been babysitting.
As a child, Croote was a poster child for missing children, which led him to meet President Bill Clinton in 1996 at age seven.
Now as an adult, the man had pleaded guilty to charges for the attack against the girl last June at a home in Berne, near Albany, the Times Union reported.
The girl and her family were not identified.
Croote had already been a registered sex offender before the assault on the 10-year-old, according to the newspaper.
The girl's family were aware of Croote's background when they asked him to watch the child after school one afternoon, authorities said.
She managed to escape as he tried to strangle her, according to police.
The events come after Croote survived his own devastating childhood.
When he was two, his father, Michael Croote, killed his pregnant mother after she told him that she was in love with her father-in-law, the newspaper reported.
The father, who is now serving a life sentence for the murder, had left the boy alone with the dead body in Hinesville, Georgia.
His mother, Wendy, was pregnant at the time of her death.
Symbol: After growing up in difficult situations, Croote was invited at age seven to meet President Bill Clinton (left front) as a poster child for missing children
Two years later, his maternal grandparents abducted him during a custody fight.
It provoked a national search. Croote's face was on missing-child fliers for three years.
A staff member at a school he attended noticed the boy on a flier, according to the Times Union.
The grandparents were captured, living under assumed names. They pleaded guilty to charges and were sentenced to probation, the newspaper reported.
Croote then went to live with his paternal grandmother, Linda Koerner.
Around that time, the two went to the White House to see Mr Clinton sign a policy to put missing-children posters in federal buildings.
A photo of his visit shows the small boy, with his grandmother's arm wrapped around him, standing near Mr Clinton's side as the president writes.
Missing: Croote is pictured here with his paternal grandmother Linda Koerner (left) after he was abducted by his maternal grandparents for three years
As a teen, he was convicted of sexually assaulting a woman who worked at a home for troubled young people in Wendell, Massachusetts.
The instructor had been driving him to school from a doctor's appointment, the newspaper reported.
He took control of the vehicle and crashed it into a stone wall.
Croote was later labeled a sex offender when he was convicted of forcible sexual contact from the incident.
He returned to the Albany area five years ago and was arrested about two years later when he failed to register as a convicted sex offender, authorities said. He later registered.
'Since he was a sex offender, we knew who he was, what he was, where he was,' Albany County Under Sheriff Craig Apple said after Croote was arrested in the attack on the 10-year-old girl. 'We just prayed that he didn't re-offend. There is only so much we can do.'
In the latest incident, Croote was charged with attempted second-degree murder, first-degree rape, first-degree sexual abuse, forcible touching and other crimes.
A deputy is out of jail after police say he drove drunk and crashed into a state trooper. Now an internal investigation is under way. Riverdale ... Full story
- Kari Lynn Bryan: Educator accused of having sex with special needs student
- What ticks you off on public transport? Here's the list of things you hate most
- Ga. man John S. Kristofak pleads guilty in death of estranged wife
- Bank teller Daniel Araujo accused of stealing $10K from elderly customer
- Rapper Chief Keef arrested in Dunwoody
- Police: Women use checks stolen during fatal shooting of Jerrick Jackson
- Recruit George Ward dies training to work at DeKalb County jail
- Decatur woman Angela Riley suffers brain injury in hit-and-run
- Plane Debris Falls on Georgia Woman's House, Walmart
- Tax preparer Thessia Carpenter charged with stealing $200K from state
- Michael Parson: Man who shot wife 8 times gets 35-year sentence
- Hall Co. teacher Tony Ray Wilson accused of exposing himself to co-worker
- Police: Stockbridge man John Wesley Morgan, Jr shoots, kills elderly father
- Athens groom Erick Lamar Stevens accused of punching new bride
- Fayetteville man Terry Davis charged in stabbing death of ex-girlfriend
- Islamic Center sign in Alpharetta vandalized
- Atlanta man Jon-Christopher Sowells arrested during BMW test drive
- Police: Car thief abandons stolen SUV with child inside
- Paulding County man Christopher Michael Smith accused of rape, arrested
- D'souza family accused of embezzling $2 million from dental practice
- Teen Enrique Vallues charged in Fayette County burglary
- Morehouse athlete Chukwudi Ndudikwa accused of rape submits DNA test
- Marine describes four-day wait at VA hospital
- Cobb man Derrick Brown accused of setting off explosive at apartment pool
- Police ID cab driver found dead in Avondale Estates as Dedrick Darcelin, 42
- Oconee man Talmadge Powell arrested in murder of Waffle House waitress Misty Michelle Myrick
- Dekalb police arrest Pharoh Swindle in murder of cab driver
- Jackson County man Marty Reeves arrested for shooting deaths of woman, teen son
- Suspected Dunwoody pill mill doctor Nisar Piracha due in court today
- Cartersville humane society director Brian Canty arrested
- Man killed inside car was Morehouse student Joseph Gibbs
- Paramedics Teresa Davis, Randall Whiddon and patient killed in south Georgia ambulance wreck
- Authorities seek missing 30-year-old Conyers woman Joyce Elizabeth Reid
- Federal indictments charge 2 North Augustans Pat Carroll, Courtney Carroll with Social Security fraud
- Atlanta airport shut down after electrical explosion
- Student athlete Cyril Teal severely injured in Roswell crash
- Anna Hawkins: Local girl dies while car-surfing
- Thieves make off with $500,000 in jewelry in heist
- Former officer Shane Ladner arrested; lied about Purple Heart honor
- Suspect Marvin Bailey hides in attic with 3 children, wife lies to police
- Rockmart man Michael Patterson paralyzed after diving into creek to rescue girl
- Storms topple large trees in Cobb Co. subdivisions
- Georgia convict Marcus Tillman arrested in Calif. after 4 years
- Video: Bank error shows Gwinnett woman Ann Wiley $300 million in debt
- Sandy Springs outages, closures; hard hit by storms
- Gunman opens fire on driver in southwest Atlanta
- Panel to weigh whether Tyrone Brooks should be suspended
- Thieves manufacture cards using stolen credit card info
- NWS confirms EF-1 tornado hit Cherokee County
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|