Brett McGurk, Obama's Iraq ambassador nominee lands in hot water over racy emails
President Obama’s nominee to be the next ambassador to Iraq has got himself into hot water after racy emails allegedly revealing an affair with a Wall Street Journal reporter while both were in Baghdad were leaked online.
The emails, from 2008, are reportedly between Brett McGurk, a top adviser on Iraq to George W.Bush and Gina Chon, who was covering the Iraq War for the WSJ.
The messages, which have not been verified, show the couple’s banter about McGurk’s ‘blue balls’, ‘hooking up’ for the first time, as well as McGurk joking about divulging information and access to Chon.
The couple are now married. McGurk was married to another woman in 2006, although it is not clear if he was still married at the time of this alleged email exchange with Chon.
The cache of emails surfaced the day before McGurk appeared before a Senate panel on his nomination on Wednesday, although he was not questioned about them then.
They first appeared on photo-sharing site Flickr and were then posted on the blog, Cryptome.
In one email McGurk wrote: 'I had a very good day with the Iraqis — the best yet. Can't tell you about it of course.'
Chon’s reply: 'This is like a journalist's version of blue balls and it's really not fair.'
He fires back: 'Well it's only fair — since I had a very real case of blue balls last night!' He goes onto mention ‘self-healing’ exercises to cure the problem.
In another series of flirtatious exchanges Chon appears to compare news reporters after a scoop to vultures.
He teases: ‘If treated to many glasses of wine -- you could be the chosen vultures.'
Flirtatious: The email exchange, which has not been verified, shows the couple¿s banter about McGurk¿s ¿blue balls¿ and how he can shake off his security so him and Chon can hook up
In one email McGurk seems to boast that he can arrange for her to come to a dinner with a top Iraqi politician: 'I totally have rank to get you in here.' He later changes his mind.
There is no indication, however, of whether McGurk used his position to secure Chon access or provide her with sensitive information.
Other messages seem to show how the couple embarked on their clandestine relationship.
McGurk appears to be trying to shake off his security: ‘I'll provide plenty of warning before coming by. I need to figure out how to lose my goon squad. They tend to mar my most secret and clandestine missions,' he writes in one email.
In another he chronicles how their relationship developed: 'From my first message to you through our Chinese dinner to the blue balls banter and then my coming over to hook up with you for the first time (on June 23 -- a night the world should celebrate). 'I am so f****** smooth!'
Negotiations: While in Baghdad in 2008 McGurk was working on negotiations with the Iraqis over a potential forces agreement which would have left a small U.S. military presence in the country, Chon was reporting on the Iraq War for the WSJ
Following the leaked emails Sen. James Inhofe, R-Oklahoma, who is on the Armed Services Committee, has said that he will not meet with McGurk, as he typically would, the Washington Post reported.
'Senator Inhofe always prefers to meet with nominees personally before giving his support,' said his spokesman, Jared Young. 'In regards to this nominee, Senator Inhofe has heard some concerning issues, and until those issues are cleared up, he will not meet with Mr. McGurk.'
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the White House had vetted McGurk before nominating him.
'We consider him uniquely qualified. All of the necessary things were done before his nomination, and we urge the Senate to confirm him,’ she said.
While in Baghdad in 2008 McGurk was working on negotiations with the Iraqis over a potential forces agreement which would have left a small U.S. military presence in the country.
All U.S. troops withdrew from Iraq last year after those talks broke down.
WHO runs the world? Beyoncé. But she wants other women to join in on the fun, too. Queen Bey flew her feminist flag high today ... Full story
- Crash victims survive after car is crushed flat by lorry's shipping container load
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- The victims of Flight MH17: First pictures of passengers who perished as Putin blames Ukraine for death of 298 innocent souls - but DOESN'T deny Russian separatists shot it down with missile
- Shocking image of toddler sipping a Bud Light at Cleveland Browns tailgate goes viral
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Not-so-model citizen: Maxim 'Hometown Hottie' finalist arrested in heroin bust
- Waitress receives rude note - internet response is epic
- Dontrell Darling: Fla. boy, 9, shot in face in drive-by while sleeping in his home
- Flight MH17's first pictures of passengers emerge
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- Beyonce and Jay Z wear matching ski masks in new poster announcing their summer tour On The Run Star
- Dougherty Gang sibling Lee Grace posed naked in XXX photo
- Mystery of creepy dolls left outside California homes that resemble the little girls who live there
- Jennifer Lopez suffers embarrassing wardrobe malfunction live on German TV
- Drunken mockery of U.S. tourists in the wake of 9/11 returns to haunt soccer star Lampard as he prepares to sign for NYC team
- Homeowner makes astonishing TV boast about shooting 'pregnant' home invader dead as she pleaded for mercy - as police say her ACCOMPLICE could be charged with her murder
- Antonio Brown accused of dangling child from overpass while drunk and dressed as a clown
- Miss Teen Colorado runner up Kristy Althaus turns porn star
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Chinese billionaire Liu Yiqian drinks world's most expensive cup of tea
- Math teacher Ashley Anderson, 24, 'who sent students nude pics of herself' admits to having sex with them
- Marine who was 'having an affair with missing pregnant army wife and had planned a hunting trip with her the day she disappeared' arrested ... but police released him
- Teacher 'had sex with student in house near middle school for over a year'
- Daughter holds 'wedding' ceremony so her terminally ill father can walk her down the aisle
- Man goes to hospital for circumcision, wakes up with no penis
- Bruce Lee didn't drink, but CGI Bruce Lee is in this liquor ad
- Catholic girls' school teacher admits lesbian affair with student, 17, after plying her with alcohol
- Three shot, killed at Crystal Point Apartments parking lot in DeKalb Co
- Would YOU eat dog meat?
- 'Hamas militants' rounded up by Israeli soldiers during Gaza offensive
- Arkansas man who 'stabbed his pregnant girlfriend to death while her daughter, 2, slept' says he can't remember killing her
- High school teacher Carly McKinney, 23, 'tweeted nude photos of herself, called her students JAIL BAIT and talked about getting high'
- Daniel Stillwell: Man who killed ex-girlfriend, another man in double homicide found dead after driving car over cliff
- Glee star Becca Tobin’s boyfriend Matt Bendik found dead in Philadelphia hotel room
- Sugar Bear shops for oversized sexy lingerie for beau Mama June on new Honey Boo Boo episode
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- 551lb pharmacist 'too fat' for prison wants his house arrest sentence in pill mill ring bust reduced claiming he cannot leave home anyway
- Couple killed in Virginia campsite tornado as their son fights for his life
- Attack of the killer bees: Swarm of Africanized honey bees sting man 1,000 times and chase his co-workers when they tried to come to his rescue
- Jennalin Garcia-Calle: Teacher, 28, 'had sex with student, 16, in classroom during school hours'
- Tragedy as 13-month-old toddler is shot dead in his stroller by teenage robber in front of mother
- Halftime lap dances given to team's mascot by three different women horrify lacrosse fans
- Math teacher Jamila Williams gets 8 to 15 years in prison for having sex with four teenage boys in her class
- Teen Jameson Witty arrested for allegedly stealing wreckage from Paul Walker's deadly crash site
- Be prepared... for the Girl Scouts Barbie! Controversial doll hits stores amid accusations of being a 'terrible role model' for young girls
- Tennessee woman Hannah Steiner, 18, 'raped 13-year-old boy in church after Sunday school service'
- Naked man walks into school's locker room, scares cheerleaders
- Peaches Geldof was 'taking methadone and using heroin before death'
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|