Brett McGurk, Obama's Iraq ambassador nominee lands in hot water over racy emails
President Obama’s nominee to be the next ambassador to Iraq has got himself into hot water after racy emails allegedly revealing an affair with a Wall Street Journal reporter while both were in Baghdad were leaked online.
The emails, from 2008, are reportedly between Brett McGurk, a top adviser on Iraq to George W.Bush and Gina Chon, who was covering the Iraq War for the WSJ.
The messages, which have not been verified, show the couple’s banter about McGurk’s ‘blue balls’, ‘hooking up’ for the first time, as well as McGurk joking about divulging information and access to Chon.
The couple are now married. McGurk was married to another woman in 2006, although it is not clear if he was still married at the time of this alleged email exchange with Chon.
The cache of emails surfaced the day before McGurk appeared before a Senate panel on his nomination on Wednesday, although he was not questioned about them then.
They first appeared on photo-sharing site Flickr and were then posted on the blog, Cryptome.
In one email McGurk wrote: 'I had a very good day with the Iraqis — the best yet. Can't tell you about it of course.'
Chon’s reply: 'This is like a journalist's version of blue balls and it's really not fair.'
He fires back: 'Well it's only fair — since I had a very real case of blue balls last night!' He goes onto mention ‘self-healing’ exercises to cure the problem.
In another series of flirtatious exchanges Chon appears to compare news reporters after a scoop to vultures.
He teases: ‘If treated to many glasses of wine -- you could be the chosen vultures.'
Flirtatious: The email exchange, which has not been verified, shows the couple¿s banter about McGurk¿s ¿blue balls¿ and how he can shake off his security so him and Chon can hook up
In one email McGurk seems to boast that he can arrange for her to come to a dinner with a top Iraqi politician: 'I totally have rank to get you in here.' He later changes his mind.
There is no indication, however, of whether McGurk used his position to secure Chon access or provide her with sensitive information.
Other messages seem to show how the couple embarked on their clandestine relationship.
McGurk appears to be trying to shake off his security: ‘I'll provide plenty of warning before coming by. I need to figure out how to lose my goon squad. They tend to mar my most secret and clandestine missions,' he writes in one email.
In another he chronicles how their relationship developed: 'From my first message to you through our Chinese dinner to the blue balls banter and then my coming over to hook up with you for the first time (on June 23 -- a night the world should celebrate). 'I am so f****** smooth!'
Negotiations: While in Baghdad in 2008 McGurk was working on negotiations with the Iraqis over a potential forces agreement which would have left a small U.S. military presence in the country, Chon was reporting on the Iraq War for the WSJ
Following the leaked emails Sen. James Inhofe, R-Oklahoma, who is on the Armed Services Committee, has said that he will not meet with McGurk, as he typically would, the Washington Post reported.
'Senator Inhofe always prefers to meet with nominees personally before giving his support,' said his spokesman, Jared Young. 'In regards to this nominee, Senator Inhofe has heard some concerning issues, and until those issues are cleared up, he will not meet with Mr. McGurk.'
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the White House had vetted McGurk before nominating him.
'We consider him uniquely qualified. All of the necessary things were done before his nomination, and we urge the Senate to confirm him,’ she said.
While in Baghdad in 2008 McGurk was working on negotiations with the Iraqis over a potential forces agreement which would have left a small U.S. military presence in the country.
All U.S. troops withdrew from Iraq last year after those talks broke down.
- British girl caught having sex in Virgin aeroplane toilets as her PARENTS sat nearby
- Student posted 'revenge porn' nude pics of his ex-girlfriend because she 'gave evidence to cops about a burglary he was involved in'
- Police launch all-out search for amorous couple filmed having sex on public fountain in Russia
- Pizza delivery man 'caught on hidden camera having sex with family dog'
- A model fan! Belgian teen lands L'Oreal contract after being photographed at World Cup game
- English teacher, 34, arrested for having sex with 17-year-old student seven times
- Girl, 15, tries to commit suicide after naked picture of her is posted online
- Sleeping man picture goes viral
- First marathon runner crosses finish line
- Girl flees pursuer, finds friendly face, safety at Denver home
- Russian cosmonauts take Olympic torch on first historic spacewalk outside space station
- Sex maniac doctor who used medical images as porn, sent naked selfies to patient ... and sexted DURING C-sections
- LANCE ARMSTRONG WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Drugs cheat meets his accuser Emma O'Reilly
- Mike Tyson opens up about bankruptcy, how much sex he got in jail and how he told his ex-wife he had AIDS
- Born into brothels: Behind the scenes of Kolkata's notorious red-light district where thousands of girls are forced into sex work
- The 12 major travel destinations you can skip
- Feds post food allergy guidelines for schools
- The adjustable airline seats that widen according to your size (and how much you're willing to pay)
- Second extortion attempt on Hong Kong set of 'Transformers 4: Age of Extinction'
- Slain LAX TSA officer remembered as a family man
- Camel visits Columbus for Hump Day!
- Free swastika tattoos aim to 'reclaim' Nazi symbol's original Buddhist meaning of peace and love
- Mother Shannon Dodson 'drowned son then set body on fire'
- Georgia Southern takes aim at new shooting sports center
- King Edward VIII dropped F-bomb at having to miss rendezvous with lover
- It's Bob Baaa-ley! Marley the sheep sports amazing dreadlocks (and her trainer can't keep him off the grass)
- Sorry Charlie's facade inspection to take place Friday
- Be There: Motivating high school students to continue their education
- GA police use tiny serial numbers to track goods
- Virus holds computer files ransom
- Is organic food really better?
- Medical crew killed in helicopter crash on way to pick up sick child
- Typhoon Haiyan wreaks havoc as death toll rises in Philippines
- 400-meter asteroid sighted may 'blow up the earth' in 2032
- Squirrel invasion sweeping Georgia
- Robert Felix Gonzales charged with prostituting teen runaway on Craigslist in exchange for meth and cash
- Typhoon slams Philippines; high death toll feared
- Loving Family: Man 'had sex with his sister-in-law so that she could get pregnant rather than getting IVF treatments'
- The Facebook photo of a high school basketball coach Laraine Cook being groped by her fiance that got her fired
- Georgia company expands recall of pet treats
- Negotiators report little progress in budget talks
- Residents near Ga. base warned of weapons training
- 9th annual Wounded Warrior & Wheelchair Hunt
- Dutch 'Black Pete' Christmas custom may be racist, warns UN
- AU safety experts urge community to watch out for date rape drugs
- The scents of success? Meet the twin sisters who help control where you spend your money - all through the power of smell
- Kate's secret godmother of style: She brought the royal couple together at 17 and her stunning looks almost stole the show at George's christening. But these pictures reveal Emilia D'Erlanger's most vital role...
- From glam to grubby: Haunting pictures offer stark look inside New York City strip clubs with the lights on
- Married leader of controversial Quiverfull movement which promotes family values resigns after having an affair
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|